+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3268371;
    Update: So I took my little cat to the vet. No diseases or infections and surprising very little arthritis. For 19 years old she is in pretty good shape. She is deaf though, which we knew. The vet basically gave me the same advice everyone here has suggested about the littler box problem. So I have been keeping both her boxes super clean. She might be getting a little senile. Half the time now she goes #1 in the box but does #2 a couple feet away from it on the floor (?). But half the time she gets it right now.
    So I guess I just have to put up with that. And I don't mind because I love this litttle cat so much and I'm going to take the best care of her so she stays with us as long as possible.
    I like this forum, it's nice to see other people love their pets too.
    That is what we do for our little ones. You could put paper towels or newspaper down to make it easier for you to just pick it up. But frankly kitty boom booms are usually easy enough to pick up with toilet paper and toss in t he bowl and flush.

Thanks, straycat!!! Good to know there's nothing serious wrong, and many kudos to you for caring so much about her.

One other idea...maybe a larger (not higher, but length and width) box might help. It might give her more room to hit the box. But I have seen my own much younger cats hang their butts over the edge and the #2 lands on the floor (and the boxes are the largest I could find).

You could also put a plastic mat, shower curtain or even painter's drop cloth that is a few inches wider and longer under the box (but if you do the latter, she might scratch it up and tear it to pieces).

Not to bombard you now that you know she's fine medically, just some ideas that might help someone else, too.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3269164;
    But I have seen my own much younger cats hang their butts over the edge and the #2 lands on the floor (and the boxes are the largest I could find).

Funny - Because Joey would do that on occaision until I moved the box far enough away from any walls so he wouldn't be face to face with a wall. You have to be able to go far enough into the box so the base of the tail just touches the edge...

straycat: I'm glad your kitty is 19 years old! Meowza! And that she will be ok!

norealityhere: I've known other abused kitties who always run and hide because of past abuse. Some get a bit more confident over time, but only with their owners, and others, are just happier retreating under the bed regardless of how much time they have spent in their new home. It's very difficult to gain the trust of an abused kitty. They never forget. Anything.

Bunny: I hope that Fluffy gets an ok from the vet! Keep us posted!

---------------------

Mr. Tootles and Bella were actually invited to visit my evil twin sinister's place on Sat! They were great in their pet taxis in the car. But poor Mr. Tootles became quite scared, anxious, and confused. Her house is much larger and I think he kept getting lost. He'd wander around and around, and meow for help. Bella would find him but it didn't help. She was just having a great time exploring and investigating the home from top to bottom. My sensitive Mr. Tootles wouldn't eat, drink, or even sit still for more than a few minutes. I finally had to lay down with him on the floor with a blanket in the basement and brush him to give him a chance to rest. He started breathing heavily and almost got distressed. I thought I'd have to drive him to emergency. When we got home, he knew immediately where he was, curled up in his chair, and was asleep (almost unconcious) for the next 12 hours.

My big boy is a very sensitive little man. He hadn't been anywhere knew for a few years, so I guess it was a bigger event that I imagined it would be for him.

Bella seems to be able to take on anything.

Miss Gracie had a peaceful afternoon at home and hardly noticed that we were all gone.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3268213;
    Bunny: I hope that Fluffy will be ok. I wish we had a mobile vet - Henry's annual checkup is coming up later this month. I KNOW he will collapse into a pathetic heap in the vet's parking lot. He will also probably end up on a diet if he weighs in at more than 20 pounds.... Last year, he escaped by less than half of a pound. I think it would be hilarious if the vet came to him... He'd probably get all dramatic and try to hide somewhere.
    We had our visit with the vet today and Fluffy is in the early stages of kidney failure I was afraid of that but tried to hold out hope that it was something less severe that was easily treatable. She's only been with us for a few months and never really seemed to get over leaving the home she had lived in for 15 years. We've taken her a few times to visit the woman who raised and loved her for all those years in the convalescent home and she purrs like a baby every time. It's a shame that the two of them couldn't live out their years together but we will do whatever we can to help her at this point and make her feel loved.

As for the mobile vet.....I don't know how I ever managed before I found them. Our dogs love to run out and greet anyone who pulls into the driveway but they take one look at that van with the puppies and kittens painted on the side and they literally trip over themselves and each other to race back into the house.
    CYA

Hopefully Fluffy will be able to get by with proper meds. Tigger went through this and I had to give him IV's every couple of days. There are many cats that live quite awhile with this procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3269195;
    Funny - Because Joey would do that on occaision until I moved the box far enough away from any walls so he wouldn't be face to face with a wall. You have to be able to go far enough into the box so the base of the tail just touches the edge...
    Confused now...I will just have to go try it myself right now.

Do you mean that the tip of the tail must not hit any wall?

Sorry to hear, Bunny, I didn't know that you had already taken her for visits.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3268706;
    straycat80 That's wonderful you are able to be patient with your older cat's litterbox issues. I've known people who have totally freaked out when their cat started to have those kinds of problems. As long as she's healthy, you're probably right, she probably just gets a little forgetful.

I know Waldo hates going in the car, but I have the opposite kind of dogs. They like to ride, ride, ride. If we're outside for a walk, and I even look at my car, they try to run over to the car door to be let in.
    That's Rosie and Bogie. Rosie got in the mail delivery person's truck one day and was ready to go deliver mail! I've never had a dog that didn't love to go for rides until Waldo.

Bunny, I'm sorry to hear that. I know you will do what you can to make her comfortable. You are a saint to take her in and take her to visit her previous owner. So sad they couldn't be together like you said.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-08-2009 at 06:14 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3269643;
    Confused now...I will just have to go try it myself right now.

Do you mean that the tip of the tail must not hit any wall?

Sorry to hear, Bunny, I didn't know that you had already taken her for visits.
    That might be somewhat.

Bunny: I am sorry to hear about Fluffy. You are very kind hearted to be taking care of her and I hope you are able to spend as much time with her as you can. The previous owner also.
    Since my cat has gotten older she doesn't like the feel of litter on her paws. She doesn't cover up like she used to. She also balances herself on the lip of the box , it's kind of comical to watch. It's funny to see the little pecular changes older animals do as they age. Just like people I guess.

+ Reply to Thread