+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The only time I've encountered this in my own cats was with my calico, but she went beyond a healthy weight to skinny. It turned out to be worms; we dewormed her, and she went back to her fighting weight. It happened fairly quickly.

An unexplained weight loss in a human is taken seriously by doctors. Is he drinking a lot of water and/or urinating frequently? That's a subtle change you may not have noticed. A lot of cats are showing up with diabetes these days.

My Siamese had a near-death experience at the vet, too. We had to make a sudden trip across country for a funeral, and our regular housesitter at the time wasn't available, so we put the cats in a kennel run by our vet. We called every day, and were told everything was fine. When we got back (we were gone 10 days), I was shocked to find my Siamese had refused to eat or drink the entire time. They had put her on an IV, and she went from a svelte 5.5 pounds to a stick-figured 4.5 pounds. We never went back to that vet, and I would never ever put her in a kennel now. (It changed her personality, too; she became very clingy and still is, even though this was 8 years ago. )
    Hep, one of the things I promised my kids,(cats for those of you going , wha???) and told myself was that if I really needed to do something where I would be gone more than one night, would be to get someone I really know and trust and that my kids like, to stay at my place and be certain that the kids routine routine is NOT changed. Felines can be very very "touchy" and not eating or drinking is a "I'll show you whose boss here!" She is now clingy because you deserted her.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My daughter just came pounding up onto the porch to tell me a duck just laid an egg in our flower bed. She and her two friends scared the duck. I told them not to play by it, hopefully she comes back. She was in the middle of the yard just looking at us. I hope she didn't get scared away permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    My daughter just came pounding up onto the porch to tell me a duck just laid an egg in our flower bed. She and her two friends scared the duck. I told them not to play by it, hopefully she comes back. She was in the middle of the yard just looking at us. I hope she didn't get scared away permanently.
    Lets hope not, and now we need to be vwery vwery quiet.. SHHHH
    - The Dean Martin Show -

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl
    . Props to you for having inside cats. I just don't understand people letting them run loose like that.
    here in Reno, we call outdoor cats "coyote buffet" and yet people still let them roam around outside.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Lets hope not, and now we need to be vwery vwery quiet.. SHHHH
    We are, but mama duck parked her nest right next to my neighbors motorcycle. I have a feeling it won't last. Too bad for the egg.

FORT Fogey
    Here's a quick picture -- a picture of my two mutts riding around in their new limousine!!!

Awww pom! They are TOO cute!!!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Premium Member
    Amanda When this happened to my cat a couple of years ago I took her to the vet and he did a blood test to check all her body functions. She had lost about 3 pounds in about 3 months. Cats this age can have kidney problems, diabetes, or possible even cancer. The only abnormal thing on the test was one of the kidney function tests which we treated with a prescription diet. She still lost more weight but it slowed down significantly. It turned out she also had cancer so that was part of the explanation. Weight loss can be good or it can be a sign of a serious problem, so I highly recommend to try and find a vet you trust and get him checked out. Your cats are beautiful!

Pom The kids are adorable!

lets get everybody doing it! AWWWWWW Pom the kids are adorable!
    I wanna hug them both!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I wanna hug them both!
    I want kisses.

+ Reply to Thread