+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I'm battling the idea of adding a 4th 'gurl' to my brood. I'm not sure it would be the best idea, with a stalker/ nutcase in the house already; she is just a harasser/intimidator and I'm always having to yell at her and threaten her, as it is. The idea of having to feed a fourth doesn't appeal to me either, but I'd do it if somebody came at me with a Maine Coon! My wish list has expanded to include the Ragdoll, and Abyssinian...and probably any pathetic little kitty creature that showed up at my door.

No, no, no!! Must Be Strong!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When I was adopting my dalmatian Suki from The Humane Society last spring, the worker who was doing my adoption papers told me some of the "reasons" people give when dropping off their pets. The most ridiculous was a guy who said they had just installed an inground pool, so his kids didn't "need" a dog anymore. He said to her, "Wouldn't you rather swim in a pool than play with a dog?"

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3267117;
    When I was adopting my dalmatian Suki from The Humane Society last spring, the worker who was doing my adoption papers told me some of the "reasons" people give when dropping off their pets. The most ridiculous was a guy who said they had just installed an inground pool, so his kids didn't "need" a dog anymore. He said to her, "Wouldn't you rather swim in a pool than play with a dog?"
    OMG. My jaw literally dropped when I read this. It is so sad that some people see animals as being a temporary convenience rather than a part of the family!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3266769;
    So many people are giving away their pets due to having children.
    I truly don't understand that excuse. Especially if they have not even had the child yet. Geez, at least wait and see how the pet does around the child - the pet may end up loving the baby nearly as much as the parents do!!

Since we're all animal lovers here, I wonder if any of you can offer any advice / suggestions with my cat. I adopted him 1 1/2 yrs. ago from Humane Society. He was 12 yo, overweight, black, and had been found in the streets where he was run over by a car. Black cats are the hardest to get adopted, so I wanted him immediately, knowing his chances of adoption were not good. Whenever someone comes over, he runs and hides under the bed for hours. I've never had this experience with a dog or a cat. Will he ever outgrow this behavior? I have a feeling he probably escaped from a home in which he was abused. When I adopted him, he had on an extremely tight collar meant for a dog. I immediately replaced the collar with a loose fitting cat collar. My other cats were all great with people. Is there any hope for him to be less fearful? He is really a very sweet cat.

My cat has done that for 7 years. She only comes out if the person comes over often and only if they smell "nice". My Princess jumps when people slam doors, cars go by, etc. I could put her on some kitty prozac but I'm not a believer in drugging my cat to suit my own needs. She loves me and my son and that's ok with me. She's never been overly affectionate (like me, ) She was feral (sp?) and that's why I feel she'll never be the needy mushy cat that other people have. Sometimes when cats or dogs have fear, they keep it no matter where they live. He may come around and be friendly, but no matter what, he's going to be very grateful to you and only you.

The funny thing is she'll come and sniff little kids when they come over (my godson and my son's friend) but other than that, she could take them or leave them. When I had the toilet replaced a few weeks ago, she ran frantically to the cupboard under the oven and wouldn't come out for 2 days. She just doesn't like any changes at all, including people who don't belong in the house.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3267155;
    I truly don't understand that excuse. Especially if they have not even had the child yet. Geez, at least wait and see how the pet does around the child - the pet may end up loving the baby nearly as much as the parents do!!
    Me either! Our Annie used to sleep under the crib, come to get us when the baby cried and would get between the baby and any visitors and "guard" the baby. She was so good with our daughter for many, many years.

I don't understand people that are just "casual" pet owners and can just give up the pet when it suits them. I would never willingly give up my pets.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3267284;
    My cat has done that for 7 years. She only comes out if the person comes over often and only if they smell "nice". My Princess jumps when people slam doors, cars go by, etc. I could put her on some kitty prozac but I'm not a believer in drugging my cat to suit my own needs. She loves me and my son and that's ok with me. She's never been overly affectionate (like me, ) She was feral (sp?) and that's why I feel she'll never be the needy mushy cat that other people have. Sometimes when cats or dogs have fear, they keep it no matter where they live. He may come around and be friendly, but no matter what, he's going to be very grateful to you and only you.

The funny thing is she'll come and sniff little kids when they come over (my godson and my son's friend) but other than that, she could take them or leave them. When I had the toilet replaced a few weeks ago, she ran frantically to the cupboard under the oven and wouldn't come out for 2 days. She just doesn't like any changes at all, including people who don't belong in the house.
    Thanks, Bug, I guess I got used to my other cats who always had to be in on the action.

Norealityhere, I used to have a cat that lived most of her life in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. I had to warn guests that if they heard noises in there, it was just the cat!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Our newest cat... Fluffy, came to us as a result of her owner (our neighbor) needing to go into a convalescent home and having nowhere else to go. She is 15 years old and spent the first couple of months with us holed up in a cupboard above the washing machine. There are 4 dogs here that aren't exactly the welcome wagon so I can't say that I blame her. We have the mobile vet coming here tomorrow to check her out as she hasn't been eating......just wants water and lots of it. She's a big "fluffy" girl but has been looking very small, sort of sleeping with her head hung low the last couple of days. Poor baby, I hope there's something we can do for her.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread