+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Wishing all my Fort friends and their furry family pets a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!! ALL THE BEST TO YOU IN 2009!
    XOXO Gracie, Mr. Tootles and Bella =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=

A brand new year 2009 is here,
    Open your heart and be of good cheer.

A year full of promise and good things to come.
    In your list of resolutions, let good deeds be one.

Help one another and give of your love,
    for that will be pleasing to the Father above.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Max is gorgeous.

Well Waldo wanted everyone to be in the same room last night for some reason and he wasn't happy until we all were. You couldn't hear much of the fireworks inside so Rosie was ok, but we took them all out, she could hear firecrackers go off and she ran her little legs off to get back in the house where she promptly got in hubby's lap and went to sleep.

Currently she is in the bed with the heated mattress pad and my husband and they are all cozy, warm and still sleeping.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

First of all Happy New Year to everyone!
    I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have a huge pet problem. My 19 year old cat, who I love to death, Is all of a sudden not using the litter box anymore. I always keep the box clean and put no candles or anything else around it. I have not changed her diet. She is not losing control of her functions because sometimes she does use the box. I don't know what to do to try to make her start using the box again. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

straycat80, other than calling or taking to her a vet you know and trust...

Is it both #1 and #2 that she does outside the litter box? Have you changed the brand/type of litter that you've been using? Cats can be finicky, some have allergies, some don't like the litter with chemicals ("fresheners"), and sometimes these things are behavioral.

But it may be a medical issue. Can you tell if her pee is pinkish (blood in the urine)? She may have a urinary/bladder infection. You can confine her in the bathroom, with only food, water, and a clean, empty litter box to attempt to get clean urine/poop samples that you can then refrigerate separately in a clean bottle/jar and plastic bag, and have tested at a vet (without taking the cat in, unless you want other tests done there). Getting a urine sample that way will probably show you if the urine is pinkish. Sometimes even vets have trouble getting urine samples in person, and may have to stick a needle into her to get one (not something I would want to have done unless necessary, especially with an older cat). Some vets will keep them for a day to get samples (and obviously do other tests).

I don't know if worms/parasites can cause litter box behavior issues, but a vet can determine that from a poop sample.

Has your cat lost significant weight? That can indicate a tape worm (spread by fleas and contact with infected animals or their "output").

If your vet is closed today, you can try calling emergency vet clinics; some may be willing to give advice over the phone after you explain what's going on.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3261448;
    I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have a huge pet problem. My 19 year old cat, who I love to death, Is all of a sudden not using the litter box anymore. I always keep the box clean and put no candles or anything else around it. I have not changed her diet. She is not losing control of her functions because sometimes she does use the box. I don't know what to do to try to make her start using the box again. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    Call the emergency hospital

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Like Velvet said: urinary/bladder infection. This is often the first sign. Also Kiddney Failure. Time for a check up. Hope she is feeling healthy and happy soon!!

straycat80, your cat can stillhave urinary tract trouble, even if the pee looks normal. If the 'other' is the problem, it could be that your kitty has constipation, arthritis, or other issues that cause pain. I'd definitely make an appointment to have her seen asap, just in case. If there is no obvious, urgent medical problem, there may be some pain issues or something has upset your cat. One thing people often overlook, for older cats is that they may need another litter box on the other end of the house, or up/down stairs from the other one, if the accidents are happening far from the box; kitty may be just slowing down too much to go a long way , and up or down steps. Also. if the boxhas high sides, it may be time to cut a 'door' without such a high step to get in. Also, remember she is a cat! Maybe she wants a new litter box; great big ones seem to make most old kitties happy for some reason. Also, have any big changes been made in the house? Cats get weird about things like moving the furniture, kids moving back home, etc. sometimes, and start having litter box issues.
    If you do figure it out, I highly recommend "Cat Attract" litter to help make your kitty happpy to use her box again.
    If none of our advice here helps, try petplace,com or catster.com--both have tons of information about issues like this.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thank you to everyone for your great advice. I better make a vet appointment on Monday. I will also try the suggestions you all have given me and see what happens. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3261448;
    Yes, take her to an emergency clinic to see what the problem could be. Sending healing energy for a happy and healthy kitty! =^.^=

+ Reply to Thread