+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    When I was a little girl our neighbor's dog had a litter of mixed breed puppies. He put them in a burlap sack, drove out the the bridge and dropped them in the river. I never forgot that, and I'll never understand how anyone can be that cruel.

oh my god! that's just horrible! i really don't understand some people.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    When I was a little girl our neighbor's dog had a litter of mixed breed puppies. He put them in a burlap sack, drove out the the bridge and dropped them in the river. I never forgot that, and I'll never understand how anyone can be that cruel.
    OMG! That is horrible! Somebody should put that *******(censored myself) in a burlap sack and drop them in the river. But before they drop them.....

Marleybone: Sorry you had to know such a horrible thing....
    Something seriously wrong with people....

Premium Member
    Yeah, that guy was a heartless sicko. If he would have taken responsibility for his dog in the first place and had her spayed that never would have happened. I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time, old enough to fully understand what he did. Anyway, good for you for giving a home to that adorable kitty.

The dogs at the dog beach...

...this was Mickey's (the puppy) first trip to the beach and he had a ball. He wasn't sure of the water but he got the hang of it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

FORT Fogey
    Your Corgis are adorable! I've always thought that they were the cutest looking dogs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    ok, I had a bad night at work. plus all the pain from the back/disc/nerve problem has got me down....but... this picture just perked me up....thanks alot
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I just adopted the cat back in November and they get along amazingly well. Dog still gets a little jealous now and then but just needs to be reassured

I have a question for you experienced pet owners out there. My two cats are both ten years old now. They're the first pets I'll have ever owned from babyhood through (eventual) death (stupid pet-deprived childhood), so some of the things that come along with owning a "mature" pet are new to me.

I adopted my male cat from the pound when he was just a few months old. I've always assumed he had a pretty traumatic life before being adopted, because he's pretty neurotic. He's also always been a huge glutton, something I figured had its roots in not having plentiful food available as a very little guy. He's always been really healthy and active, but a tad on the overweight side.

However, now he seems to have dropped all of that excess weight. Honestly, he's probably now at a perfectly healthy size, but it's weird that it happened for no reason, isn't it? His eating habits haven't changed, his activity levels haven't changed, nothing has changed, except for his weight. Should I be worried about it? Is his body just finally balancing itself out? Could he be sick with some slow-moving horrible disease? Should I take him to the vet, or should I sit back and wait to see if I can observe any other changes first?

Also, I should say that I'm very wary of taking either of them to the vet, because of a near-death allergic reaction one of them had several years ago. They're both indoor cats who've always been the picture of health, aside from that one time the girl cat decided that she did NOT like innoculations, and wanted to prove her point by almost dying.

Anyway, bottom line is that he's lost weight (it doesn't appear that he's continuing to lose; it leveled off), and I don't know why. Anyone have any thoughts?

[IMG]images/img/toobs-n-kasha.JPG[/IMG]

(He's the tabby on the left)

I don't have any ideas, sorry. Just wanted to say what pretty cats you have. You might want to take him to the vet to have a blood test to see if anything has changed that would be of concern. Props to you for having inside cats. I just don't understand people letting them run loose like that.

To Amanda

You might need to find another vet, but if there are any concerns whatsoever about either my Mona or Joey, I usually do not wait to get answers online. Into the carrier they go and off to the Doctor. They get the same if not better treatment and consideration I would give myself.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

The only time I've encountered this in my own cats was with my calico, but she went beyond a healthy weight to skinny. It turned out to be worms; we dewormed her, and she went back to her fighting weight. It happened fairly quickly.

An unexplained weight loss in a human is taken seriously by doctors. Is he drinking a lot of water and/or urinating frequently? That's a subtle change you may not have noticed. A lot of cats are showing up with diabetes these days.

My Siamese had a near-death experience at the vet, too. We had to make a sudden trip across country for a funeral, and our regular housesitter at the time wasn't available, so we put the cats in a kennel run by our vet. We called every day, and were told everything was fine. When we got back (we were gone 10 days), I was shocked to find my Siamese had refused to eat or drink the entire time. They had put her on an IV, and she went from a svelte 5.5 pounds to a stick-figured 4.5 pounds. We never went back to that vet, and I would never ever put her in a kennel now. (It changed her personality, too; she became very clingy and still is, even though this was 8 years ago. )
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread