+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1384Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I am really just sick over the whole situation. The majority of my co-workers think I'm nuts, so many people respond with "it's only a dog", that I'm just amazed. I can't for the life of me understand the indifference of, it's only a dog.

My dogs are just a step below my kids. I would do everything in my power to protect them. They need that and they deserve that! They have no voice of their own! I'm a firm believer that they have feelings and emotions similar to ours, and they deserve to be treated as we would hope to be treated.

The attitude of the owner was just shocking to me. Why would they even want to have an animal around them if they had such obvious disdain for it?! I'm sure at one point, they thought it was cute and cuddly, but her tone of voice, on the phone last night, showed no warmth or feeling for this dog at all. She wanted what she had paid for him and good riddance!

I had their phone number from the posters and was able to get an address with that. The town they are in is pretty small, so finding them is no problem. Now the problem is how far do I want to take this? I definitely want to help this dog but would prefer to not end up with a possible police record because of it!

The deputy I spoke to today said that although they may not be the best pet owners, the Sheriffs Office normally doesn't get involved unless an animal is being severely abused and/or is almost dead. Once again, I just don't understand the indifference. Why not step in before it might get to that point?

The co-worker who found the dog really doesn't want to get any more involved. They really scared the heck out of her last night. She feels bad for the dog and was trying to do the right thing, but she is now out of it. She did give me the pictures she had taken of the dog. They clearly showed the sores around his mouth and the calluses on his butt. The difference on the pictures from when she found him up until yesterday afternoon were amazing. He went from a filthy mess, who's head was down in all the pictures from the first two days, to a very clean and happy animal. Yesterdays pictures all showed him with his head up, playing with her cat and running around the house. I swear he was actually smiling. What a difference 5 days made! And now he's back with the people that let him get in that condition in the first place. Disgusting!

I emailed the pictures to two different humane societies and two different animal controls, all within a 65 mile radius of the town they live in. Hopefully someone will do something.

If not I suppose I might be making a little road trip this weekend. I at least want to see what kind of conditions he is living in. Hopefully after my threatening to turn them in, it makes them think twice about him, but for some reason I doubt it. And I swear if I see him chained to a tree, we are going to make a break for it, in broad daylight!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;3196521;

I emailed the pictures to two different humane societies and two different animal controls, all within a 65 mile radius of the town they live in. Hopefully someone will do something.
    Good, that's a fantastic idea.

If not I suppose I might be making a little road trip this weekend. I at least want to see what kind of conditions he is living in. Hopefully after my threatening to turn them in, it makes them think twice about him, but for some reason I doubt it. And I swear if I see him chained to a tree, we are going to make a break for it, in broad daylight!
    Just be careful, these people don't seem to be playing with a full deck.
    CYA

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If he's chained to a tree, make sure you take bolt cutters.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3195472;
    That is very kind of you! Henry wants to know if you have an electric blanket!

Ummm - he will also need cheese, cookies and he WILL sleep under the covers with you. He's a high maintenance dog.
    It's much too warm for an electric blanket right now but if he insists, I can provide one.

My 3 guys will show him the best spots for snagging dropped food and what pathetic looks to use to get them the best treats. They love cheese too but it has the same effect on them that the tuna does on Henry.
    CYA

I think that this was the right thing to do. I feel so bad for that poor dog (and for you and your co-worker!). Bless you for trying to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3196570;
    It's much too warm for an electric blanket right now but if he insists, I can provide one.

My 3 guys will show him the best spots for snagging dropped food and what pathetic looks to use to get them the best treats. They love cheese too but it has the same effect on them that the tuna does on Henry.
    LOL. Henry does insist on the electric blanket. Even though he lives in Alabama and it is HOT here most of the time. He sleeps on top of it during the summer (after we get out of bed, we turn it on for him - LOL)

I know Henry would love to meet your guys (especially if there is food involved!). He loves other dogs and he is very friendly. I really don't think that Henry needs another pathetic look in his routine though! He already has Mr. Doxie "trained" to carry him when he is tired (and that is more than I have trained Mr. Doxie to do) and he is GREAT at looking all pitiful when it is raining which has resulted in both Mr. Doxie and I going outside and holding an umbrella over the dog while he "does his business". Are you sure you want that long little dog to be your houseguest?
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3193222;
    I don't know if this should go in the animal thread or where did my husband's brain go thread.

Every morning he lets the dogs out at the SAME time. And every morning at the SAME TIME, they run to the corner where the kids are waiting on the school bus and then all you can hear is his YELLING for them to come back. I've said: the bus comes at the same time every morning, why do you keep letting them out?
    This is after he mutters under his breath every morning about why I DON'T let them out. Well duh, I know when the bus comes, so I wait and before I get the chance to let them out AFTER the bus comes, he gets upset at me and lets them out and then has to scream his head off to get them to come back.
    For a really smart man, he floors me sometimes.

(one more month and we'll be moved and this will cease to happen. I can't wait)
    You let them out off leash? IMO, that's never a good thing. In fact, there was a lady at the humane society yesterday who had let her yellow lab out for a potty in a big field behind her apartment and he ran away. She was frantically trying to find him. Safety first and always.

All the pic hosting places are blocked at work now so I can't see any at all
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

MRD

I am really just sick over the whole situation. The majority of my co-workers think I'm nuts, so many people respond with "it's only a dog", that I'm just amazed. I can't for the life of me understand the indifference of, it's only a dog.

My dogs are just a step below my kids. I would do everything in my power to protect them. They need that and they deserve that! They have no voice of their own! I'm a firm believer that they have feelings and emotions similar to ours, and they deserve to be treated as we would hope to be treated.

The attitude of the owner was just shocking to me. Why would they even want to have an animal around them if they had such obvious disdain for it?! I'm sure at one point, they thought it was cute and cuddly, but her tone of voice, on the phone last night, showed no warmth or feeling for this dog at all. She wanted what she had paid for him and good riddance!

I had their phone number from the posters and was able to get an address with that. The town they are in is pretty small, so finding them is no problem. Now the problem is how far do I want to take this? I definitely want to help this dog but would prefer to not end up with a possible police record because of it!

The deputy I spoke to today said that although they may not be the best pet owners, the Sheriffs Office normally doesn't get involved unless an animal is being severely abused and/or is almost dead. Once again, I just don't understand the indifference. Why not step in before it might get to that point?

The co-worker who found the dog really doesn't want to get any more involved. They really scared the heck out of her last night. She feels bad for the dog and was trying to do the right thing, but she is now out of it. She did give me the pictures she had taken of the dog. They clearly showed the sores around his mouth and the calluses on his butt. The difference on the pictures from when she found him up until yesterday afternoon were amazing. He went from a filthy mess, who's head was down in all the pictures from the first two days, to a very clean and happy animal. Yesterdays pictures all showed him with his head up, playing with her cat and running around the house. I swear he was actually smiling. What a difference 5 days made! And now he's back with the people that let him get in that condition in the first place. Disgusting!

Sherri,
    I say we start a letter writing campaign to the local newspaper. Give us the name of the paper and if they have an online site and let's all write letters on behalf of this dog to the editor.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We were sitting out by the fire pit in the backyard the other night, Freddy by our side, when all of a sudden I heard "splash, splash, SPLOOSH!' coming from our very muddy pond. I turn to look at I see the silouettes of two racoons and one big Collie behind, them. Fred. I can't believe he ran into the pond - he usually hates water and won't go near it. One of the racoons turned and hissed and I called Fred to get him out of there! Racoons can be fiesty, I've heard. Once I got him up to the house and into the light where I could see him, he was COVERED in mud. Did I mention that I just got the guy groomed, which costs a small fortune because he's a super, super hairy collie?

I wish they'd invent a machine that cleaned your dog. He goes in on a conveyer belt on one end, and comes out 30 seconds later, clean and dry (and not shedding anymore) on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3196878;
    We were sitting out by the fire pit in the backyard the other night, Freddy by our side, when all of a sudden I heard "splash, splash, SPLOOSH!' coming from our very muddy pond. I turn to look at I see the silouettes of two racoons and one big Collie behind, them. Fred. I can't believe he ran into the pond - he usually hates water and won't go near it. One of the racoons turned and hissed and I called Fred to get him out of there! Racoons can be fiesty, I've heard. Once I got him up to the house and into the light where I could see him, he was COVERED in mud. Did I mention that I just got the guy groomed, which costs a small fortune because he's a super, super hairy collie?

I wish they'd invent a machine that cleaned your dog. He goes in on a conveyer belt on one end, and comes out 30 seconds later, clean and dry (and not shedding anymore) on the other end.
    Freddy is lucky that he didn't get hurt. Racoons, especially two of them, can be really mean. I've seen dogs, even big dogs, that have been torn up pretty badly by coons. I'm glad all he got was dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3196918;
    Freddy is lucky that he didn't get hurt. Racoons, especially two of them, can be really mean. I've seen dogs, even big dogs, that have been torn up pretty badly by coons. I'm glad all he got was dirty!
    Yeah, I was scared! And then when I heard one of them hiss I panicked and got him out of there fast. He's just a dopey, curious guy, but they weren't appreciating his curiosity at all. There are racoons left and right around here. And they get so BIG! Minnesota has lots of 'critters'...

+ Reply to Thread