+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Exactly! A vacation involving a nice, long nap!

I really need some advice from fellow animal lovers,

This past weekend, a co-worker found a stray dog. He was filthy, has calluses on his hind end, open sores in his skin folds, his ribs are protruding and he has an eye condition, the vet said was most likely caused by his poor skin condition. She has been treating his sores and eyes with meds from the vet.

She just called me and said someone had put up posters this morning looking for this dog. She is really torn on what to do. Everyone agrees that he was definitely neglected, but at the same time he belongs to someone. I would hope that if one of my dogs would be lost that the person who found them would be honest enough to return them. On the other hand, my animals would never be in the type of shape this dog is in.

We live in a rural area, so there is no local animal control people to talk to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

personally i would ignore the posters and keep the dog. If anything ever came to "you have my dog" I would swear that I've had the dog for years. They may have only put the posters up BECAUSE they know they neglected the dog and "don't want anyone to know"

MRD

I'd ignore the posters and keep the dog. If he was mistreated, why put him back in that situation.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Poor pup. If you can give him a home...do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have to agree with others here.

When we first bought our home I was in the position where a stray showed up on my doorstep. She was so very sweet, but clearly way too thin and her nails were much too long to walk comfortably. I was still pregnant with my youngest and my oldest was away for the weekend so I brought the dog in. I fed her, got to know her a bit (tested out a bunch of commands to see how trained she was) I let her wander around the house and spend the afternoon with me while I called the pound to see if anyone had reported her missing. They were rude and frankly no help. So I called my husband at work and told him I was just going to walk the dog around town and see if anyone recognised her.

Unfortunately I did end up walking by her home and the owner (who seemed nice enough at first) thanked me for bringing her back...They told me she was a very naughty disobediant dog "but they kept it because the kids liked it" Once they had the dog back in their possesion though they began to scream at the dog and drag it violently into the house. I tell you, that whole afternoon the dog was never naughty or disobediant to me. She was very sweet and calm, and maybe a bit lonely.

I told my husband after work that day that if the poor dog ever had the good sense to run away to our house again, I would not be so quick to return her
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Sherri, I would ignore the posters, too. Obviously the previous owners were unwilling or unable to properly take care of that dog.

ClosetNerd That story made me so sad. I hate when people abuse animals, it's as bad as abusing or neglecting children in my opinion. Did you know in some states that if someone is found to be neglecting or abusing their pets, they automatically have the authorities come out to check on any children in the same home?

brunette trixie that makes total sense to me. I have found that the type of behavior and mindset to do something like that usually spreads to other areas of life... if that makes any sense. Sorry, Vino is couding my coherence.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3195335;
    brunette trixie that makes total sense to me. I have found that the type of behavior and mindset to do something like that usually spreads to other areas of life... if that makes any sense. Sorry, Vino is couding my coherence.
    It absolutely does make sense and should be a law everywhere.

Sherri, I'm with everyone else on this one. That poor pup managed to get away from those people for a reason, he deserves a better life.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I can see someone saying that and in a fun sort of way. Simons coming. Oh Dear God (as in - that grouch.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Yeah, plus he is Jack Russell (god love them but they are high energy dogs). I think most people that work in a vet' office truly love animals or at least that is my experience. If it was said laughingly I would probably laugh too.
    I took it as a funny comment. We deal with Simon all the time, so I can understand (and laugh) when someone who has to deal with his grouchy self would say "Oh dear god". (I say that three or four times a day!) We truly LOVE this vet clinic and they have been great with our dogs.

We changed vets about 4 years ago because we didn't think that the previous vet/staff cared for Simon well. This vet specializes in older animals and he's been nothing but kind to Simon. Henry is loved by all (after he goes through the drama of collapsing into a long heap in the parking lot), but Simon is a "special needs" case now and he is a grouch and he does tend to snap and bark his head off when he is in a kennel.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread