+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Good luck with Murphey! You guys are always great sources of info. I just received this e-mail today (don't know if it is old, or has done the rounds so I apologize in advance) but it brought a tear to my eye....

A Dog's Purpose

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay so long."

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.

That's a great story, canuck.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3192783;
    Good luck with Murphey! You guys are always great sources of info. I just received this e-mail today (don't know if it is old, or has done the rounds so I apologize in advance) but it brought a tear to my eye....

Awww! That is so sweet! Dogs are the best, they really are. So forgiving and loving and just happy to be here. I think I'll play an extra long game of tug o war with Fred when I get home!

Does anyone know if, when they euthanize dogs, they first put them to sleep with anesthetics? I guess a better question would be - do they put them under before putting them 'to sleep'? I've heard that death by lethal injection can be very painful, so I was wondering if they do it so the animal doesn't feel anything...

My Bjorn received one injection, a large over-dose of anesthetic. The whole process is very peaceful, and Bjorn showed no signs of distress--he just slipped away.

The process used on humans is different. I don't know why.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3192808;
    My Bjorn received one injection, a large over-dose of anesthetic. The whole process is very peaceful, and Bjorn showed no signs of distress--he just slipped away.
    Same with mine. Will be two years in November and tears come to my eyes as I type. I miss him so.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

MRD

I don't know if this should go in the animal thread or where did my husband's brain go thread.

Every morning he lets the dogs out at the SAME time. And every morning at the SAME TIME, they run to the corner where the kids are waiting on the school bus and then all you can hear is his YELLING for them to come back. I've said: the bus comes at the same time every morning, why do you keep letting them out?
    This is after he mutters under his breath every morning about why I DON'T let them out. Well duh, I know when the bus comes, so I wait and before I get the chance to let them out AFTER the bus comes, he gets upset at me and lets them out and then has to scream his head off to get them to come back.
    For a really smart man, he floors me sometimes.

(one more month and we'll be moved and this will cease to happen. I can't wait)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Put Waldo in charge of the door

Rocky would like to say "hi" this morning. This is what he does when I put my "trippy 60's and 70's" CD on. It cracks me up every time; I think the guitars must sound like crazy kitties to him! Ireally wish you could see his fangs better in the pics--in real life they make him look even more demnted.

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Rocky is beautiful!

Thanks, Scoutmom--he's a weirdo, but I love him. And sorry to add another picture so soon, but attaboy, Rock Kitty; this is what I was aiming for the first time.

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread