+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3190949;
    Well ok but if the current tenant needs to be booted for any reason, I'm next in line.
    Okay, but if Joey decides to use the thing I may need to take it off the market completely.

Ok, everyone. More Murphey issues *sigh*

The spot where his cast rubs on his upper thigh is all red and raw naturally, but now it smells downright rancid!
    How can I get him to stop licking it so it dries up, and stop walking around so much making it worse.

Should I really leave him tied up for 4 whole weeks? that seems horrible. But *gag* I'm afraid it's a weekend away from infection (if it's not already) So far his vet bills are already in the thousands and we've only had the little bugger a few months! So anything we can do to get through the weekend so I don't have to pay double charges for another weekend visit would help.

Has anyone else had a dog in a cast? how did you keep him/her still till they were healed?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

It is itching. try a little neosporin and if you can tuck a soft cloth around it.

MRD

Those big plastic collars work well. I know they are terrible for the animal, but it does keep them from licking the area being treated.

I hope Murphy is going to be ok. I'm with gabriel about the neosporin.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3190832;
    That's Ralph the wolf and Sam the sheepdog.

Is it just me, or does Ralph look like Wylie Coyote?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3191204;
    Is it just me, or does Ralph look like Wylie Coyote?
    No it is not just you....

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3191127;
    Ok, everyone. More Murphey issues *sigh*

The spot where his cast rubs on his upper thigh is all red and raw naturally, but now it smells downright rancid!
    How can I get him to stop licking it so it dries up, and stop walking around so much making it worse.

Should I really leave him tied up for 4 whole weeks? that seems horrible. But *gag* I'm afraid it's a weekend away from infection (if it's not already) So far his vet bills are already in the thousands and we've only had the little bugger a few months! So anything we can do to get through the weekend so I don't have to pay double charges for another weekend visit would help.

Has anyone else had a dog in a cast? how did you keep him/her still till they were healed?
    Would he leave it alone if it were wrapped? I get the vet wrap for horses and use that. Put gause on it first, then the vet wrap. It sticks to itself which makes it really nice.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

I think that putting Murphrey in a crate would help to keep him off that injured leg. My parents had a dog that had to have back surgery, and their vet suggested getting him a crate that was big enough for him to stand up and turn around in, but not TOO big so that he could walk around. He had to stay in that thing for about 4 weeks and really came out only to eat and for potty breaks. It sounds cruel, but he didn't seem to mind it after the first day or so. He healed well. Good luck to y'all. We're hoping that Murphey recovers soon.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

To stop the licking, you might want to try this...

Buy No-Cone Collar - HandicappedPets.Com

I just saw an article about it today; it's a new product that won't let animals lick a wound, but they can eat, drink and sleep with it on, plus it's supposedly much less aggravating than the cone things.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl;3191621;
    Would he leave it alone if it were wrapped? I get the vet wrap for horses and use that. Put gause on it first, then the vet wrap. It sticks to itself which makes it really nice.
    I've tried wrapping it with a cloth and duct tape, but since it's all the way up to his groin, I can't figure out how to cover the area without wrapping his whole.. erm man business areas and whatnot. So far I've been just trying to keep powder on it and clapping my hands when I see him start to lick. After a few loud claps he usually sighs and stops.

Doxie, I think that might be the answer to his running around. Gah how heart breaking.. to have a dog in a tiny box all the time. I guess I just have to remember, it's for hisown good, and it's only for a month or so.

QueenB, thanks for that link! What a wonderful site. I'll have to see if I can find anything like that locally. We have a few pet stores within a reasonable drive!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread