+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3178232;
    If only people would spay/neuter. If only people weren't twits.
    EXACTLY!!!

Miss Kitty, you are doing a wonderful thing for Tatty. I'm sure you'll find her a great home. Are you sure you can't keep her? Remember when Newf and Gabriel were teasing you about being the cat lady? I just thought you had decided to take their advice.

I'm guessing all the neighborhood cats have found safe, dry places today. We've gotten a TON of rain and it's still going strong. Tornados and tornado warnings.

Rosie is so very highly offended about the rain that we cannot get her to even get off the sofa and THINK about going out. She has gone out a time or two between rain storms, but the boys ALWAYS want to go out and she is usually on their heels, but not today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Four cats!! What fun! Tatty is a lucky little sweetie pie. Bless your enormous heart, MISS KITTY.
    Last edited by lopevian; 08-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.

When I went home to Manitoba this summer, I had some close encounters with the local wildlife and thought I'd share these pics:

This first one is an owl that was living in my parents' backyard. Now, I've never seen an owl in the wild and was completely freaked out (same with my parents). Their house backs up onto a golf course, and the rough is so dense that the golfers rarely venture all the way up to my parents' back fence. They get quite a few deer around as well. Apparently there were three of them, but I only got pics of this one. I think this is a screech owl - if anyone knows anything about owls please confirm this for me. It didn't hoot but made a rather awful noise I can't describe. Plus it's kinda scary-looking. This is the best pic I got of it (I took tons but for some reason they didn't turn out well):

This was such a cute little Bambi I couldn't resist - my husband and I were driving around looking at cottage lots in the pouring rain, and this little guy wandered to within 20 feet of our car. I wish we'd had a treat to give him.

Finally (and my favourite) - this is another golf course (a different one where we were actually golfing) critter. How cute is he? This fox hangs around the course's hot dog stand. Smart as a...fox. Of course we were feeding him, like every other sucker who buys a hot dog and a bag of chips from there. He wouldn't quite eat out of my hand but he came very close.

All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

All of those are great shots but oh, that fox is adorable! He is a smart little guy hanging out by the hot dog stand.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Those are great pictures! That owl is really freaky looking. That fox looks HUGE. Hot dogs must be nutritious for foxes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How cool that the wildlife are all posing for you to shoot their pictures! I live in the city (well, an outlying area of the city, kind of a suburb but not a wooded area), and I've seen 2 owls in my lifetime in the city. They are huge, and a little creepy. They just sit there and look at you. One was in my tree in my front yard as I was going out to work one morning. It was about 7:30 a.m. I just happened to look up, and there it sat....watching me. Really freaked me out!

The other huge owl was in a tree in an alley behind some friends' apartment building. We are talking a very urban location! They said it had been there for a couple of weeks. Once again...just looking.

Your owl picture kind of looks like those creepy owls in the haunted forest in The Wizard of Oz!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

AJane: Wow, what fabulous shots! I love that you got so close to the fox..he's so pretty. And your Bambi looks just like the little Bambi that was in my neighbor's yard last year...fawns are just so breakable looking to me. And that owl: well, what big eyes he has!

Update on Tatiana: No calls. But my Dad, bless his heart, looked through the Lost section of the last few weeks of newspapers and found an ad for a silver tabby, about a year old, lost about 1- 15 blocks east of where I found Tatty. I left a cell-phone message. Hopefully, my kitty will turn out to be their kitty, and all will be restored to its proper order. With, of course, a lecture about licensing and collaring your pets! BTW, my Dad only checked because he's so afraid I will not be able to give her up. But his heart is still in the right place. I'll let you know what happens.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I love the pictures AJane--your owl appears to be a Great Horned Owl, that hoots sometimes but according to my bird book "shrieks", and younger ones may make a "hoarse, rasping, whine". Bird says if it's a screech owl, he's lost, way too far North and inland; besides, he looks a bit larger than the 8 inch size of a screech owl.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks queenb! "Shrieking" is a good way to describe the noise. My parents usually have lots of squirrels, rabbits, and frogs in their yard every year, but this year those creatures are noticeably scarce. I guess the owls are having a feast.

The fox was posing. I got a ton of pictures of him, fairly good ones. I guess he knows that if he looks pretty he'll get more hot dog tidbits.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

misskitty I hope that Tatty gets reconnected with her family but in the meantime she must feel like like she is on vacation living with you.

AJane your pictures are fantastic!
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread