+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Here's Pinkieparrot's little cutie furball

She's adorable Pinkie, I can see how it'll be easy to spoil her rotten
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

AWWWW Kitty is precious!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I'm having a moral dilemma and I would appreciate some input from fellow animal lovers. Let me first say, I can't stand - can't bear to see - an animal in any state of pain, confusion or loneliness. (ok, here come the waterworks - I miss and love my little miniYorkie, Bogart... - take a breath...)

My daughter (who lives in Miami) has a friend who lives in an apartment - a small apartment. The friend has two dogs - a Rotweiler and a Lab, I believe. Fairly big dogs, anyway. And over last weekend she (Jessica's friend) volunteered to "babysit" someone else's pitbull. (Pitbulls are illegal in Dade County, btw) So this friend decides to go out of town and asks my daughter to come over and walk the dogs a couple of times a day. First off these dogs don't know Jess. She did go over once and got "acquainted" with them...but imo, that's not enough.

These dogs are kept in those small dog kennels all day, every day, while their "owner" works and goes to school. (Which gripes me in the first place) But Jess called me up crying because she had just returned from walking these poor attention-starved doggies. I asked her if they poop in the cages (yes, cages) or anything like that. She said they were covered. And the fact they wanted attention so badly, they were jumping all over her, trying to play. So in a few short minutes, they were all covered in dog "doo doo" - and Jess was fit to be tied. We both feel that if you can't take care of your animal, for hell's sakes, don't have one. I realize this was several days ago, but it has just been eating at me.

When little Bogart would look at me with those eyes - I couldn't stand it - and all he wanted was to go to Arby's or even just to be picked up and held. (He had a rather cushy life) It's just - how do you explain it to them? You can't. They have feelings, they hurt, but you can't reason with them, I don't know how to go about consoling them.

I'm angry, I'm hurt and very confused why someone would treat their dogs, or any animal for that matter, like that. Is that love? She says she loves her dogs...but I don't see how she could. My heart just breaks every time I think about the poor little guys.

Thanks for letting me get that out.
    Last edited by J.D.; 01-05-2005 at 04:48 AM.

Oh no J.D.

Did you talk to the girl about it? Maybe if someone told her the way she was treating her dogs is wrong, she'll change.

Dogs have good spirits. While you can never give them enough affection, that doesn't mean they don't appreciate life. I assume these dogs have each other for social contact?

This girl may very well love her dogs. There is probably a disconnect somewhere. Large dogs should never be kept all day in unclean kennels. I think you're right; something ought to be done about that. I understand how it would be hard for your daughter to confront her friend, but since she was upset by it, talking about the subject might be the best thing for their friendship as well.

Sorry you have to deal with this, but I'm glad there are people like you to give animals the love they deserve. Bogart was probably one lucky puppy.

Last edited by Salome; 01-05-2005 at 07:13 AM.

JD, I hate to be "mean" sounding or anything, but I would probably at that point put in a call to Animal Control and let them know about the dog's living conditions. They will need to know who you are as a caller, but I think they can definitely keep your name (or whoever places the call) anonymous from the dog owner, so she won't know who placed the call.

Animal control will probably check out the conditions, maybe she will get a chance to improve their living conditions before they take the dogs, but in either case I believe the dogs need help =( They can't live like that.
    It's sad to read about the conditions in which these dogs are being kept =( That's no life fit for any living creature.

I understand that this person is a friend of your daughter, so your daughter might try talking to her friend about the situation & perhaps try talking her friend into giving the dogs up to good homes that will be able to give the dogs the space & care they need & deserve. Depends on her friend, on how well she'll listen etc... I wouldn't be afraid to call animal control tho, those poor dogs need help
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Does anyone know if cats can be diabetic? My soon-to-be-12 year old kitty is drinking tons of water, and seems lazier than usual...she's not grooming herself well either, she has really bad mats that the groomer will have to attend to and has been throwing up a lot of hairballs lately (ugh).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oh yeah, Ajay, feline diabetes is a problem. I found this site you can peruse for some general information:

http://nmnm.essortment.com/felinediabetes_rjdr.htm
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I'm angry, I'm hurt and very confused why someone would treat their dogs, or any animal for that matter, like that. Is that love? She says she loves her dogs...but I don't see how she could. My heart just breaks every time I think about the poor little guys.
    Your story breaks my heart. Some people have no business owning pets. When we adopted Marley from the Humane Society 2 years ago she was only 18 months old and it was her 4th trip there. Her owners would just open the front door and let her out. No leash, no watching her, just let her out and paid no attention. The 4th time she was picked up by the Humane Society they refused to come get her. They said they didn't want her back. Now look at my avatar and tell me how anyone could not want this beautiful girl??

Eight months after we got her she was diagnosed with a malignant spinal cord tumor and shortly after that we had to let her go. I was so angry because we were supposed to have years and years with this dog and it was so unfair, but then I realized it was not about us or our loss. It was all about Marley, and I believe we were chosen for her so she could know real love in her last months.

OK, waterworks here too time to talk about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia
    Here's Pinkieparrot's little cutie furball
    Your cat has stunning eyes, Pinkieparrot

ETA: JD, labs and Rotties are very active breeds...some dogs do well kenneled (never as well as if they had some running space, though) and there's just no excuse for them to be covered in their own filth.
    Last edited by Texicana; 01-05-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread