+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3171045;
    That is so very sad about the mommy gorilla.

I was just thinking last night how sad it must be for our pets; dogs and cats, to have their kittens and puppies just taken from them to other peoples homes. I was feeling really bad about splitting up all my kitties from their moms and siblings. And how they must wonder where they are and what happened to them. And why they couldn't all stay together and be happy. I was feeling really depressed and sad at how sad I may have made my kitties, even though they have a very loving home.

Mr. Tootles bit me again this morning. I think he thinks I've died, I've been in bed so much lately. Maybe he's made I didn't adopt his mom or brothers.
    Don't feel too sad misskitty. If you were separated at those young ages, you wouldn't remember anyway. Mr. Tootles bit you because he wanted to make sure you are ALIVE.....

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3171845;
    Don't feel too sad misskitty. If you were separated at those young ages, you wouldn't remember anyway. Mr. Tootles bit you because he wanted to make sure you are ALIVE.....

I agree. When I got Simon, I picked him out of a litter of 4 (one was already sold) and he never seemed to "remember" or care that he left his mother or siblings. We adopted Henry, so we've often discussed whether or not there might be some other long siblings out there. I personally think he was an only child! I think it's a lot like humans who adopt a child when he/she is very young. The child doesn't remember anything but the adoptive parents.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3171845;
    I KNOW! But he leaves a bit red welt with bite marks each time he does it! I think I should start snoring so he'll know I'm still breathing...

I do hope that what you believe is true, doxie, gabriel, and myrosiedog. That they are still too small to really bond and remember their families. All of us who adopted the kitties from Bella's family are trying to pick a Saturday to bring our five kitties in for a reunion. That is why I'm wondering if they will remember each other and be happy, or be scared, or angry, or what might happen. I'll let you know once we've picked a date that's good for everyone.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well I remember the day of Joeys adoption. Walked into the pet store with mr. drunky and walked up to this cage where all the the cute little furballs were and I hate to see them all locked up I wanted to take all of them, but anyway this whole gaggle is playing with each other and mr runt of the litter is in the back corner all by himself as soon as I got near the wire, this little one walks up and in the loudest voice I ever heard MMMEEEEEEOOOOWWWW.... I wish his voice had stayed like that. Again Mr. Joseph was not adopted for me, since Ms. Mona was MINE, but he supposed to be mr. drunkys "something to love him" -- oh what it really turned into I would not change one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3172924;
    Well I remember the day of Joeys adoption. Walked into the pet store with mr. drunky and walked up to this cage where all the the cute little furballs were and I hate to see them all locked up I wanted to take all of them, but anyway this whole gaggle is playing with each other and mr runt of the litter is in the back corner all by himself as soon as I got near the wire, this little one walks up and in the loudest voice I ever heard MMMEEEEEEOOOOWWWW.... I wish his voice had stayed like that. Again Mr. Joseph was not adopted for me, since Ms. Mona was MINE, but he supposed to be mr. drunkys "something to love him" -- oh what it really turned into I would not change one iota.
    You and Joey ended up in a Purrfect situation!

Just like Henry and I did! I walked into that pet store and he was up for adoption and it was love at first sight. LOL - we did put Henry "on hold" so that we (BF at the time - Mr. Doxie now) could have lunch and discuss the impact of adding another dog to our household. When we got back to the adoption area and claimed Henry, there was a LINE of people waiting for him.

When we took Henry with us, one of the crowd waiting on him actually started crying. We didn't feel good about that, but we knew we were giving Henry a good home.

He came home with us, jumped into Mr. Doxie's armchair, and we like to say he's been "making himself at home" with us ever since.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3171045;
    I was feeling really bad about splitting up all my kitties from their moms and siblings. And how they must wonder where they are and what happened to them. And why they couldn't all stay together and be happy. I was feeling really depressed and sad at how sad I may have made my kitties, even though they have a very loving home.
    (
    Misskitty, remember, even feral cats don't hang out in family groups. The mom will wean them at somewhere around 12 weeks old. Bigger cats like cheetahs stay with mom longer, but still get run off as soon as they are able to hunt alone. oly lons stay in family groups. Dogs do stay in the pack, but still have no special relationship to their mothers after weaning (i just finished a very interesting book about wolves!) They may even not be a good fit within the pack they are born to and end up with another group, so being adopted into a new family is normal for canines.
    Feel better?
    For some reason I think you might feel a lot better about this after you try the 'reunion".
    I know my doggy friend Raisin had 6 puppies and was as proud as she could be of them, but she weaned them herself at about 7 weeks and seemed positively relieved when they were all sold!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3172924;
    Gabriel, he didn't stay the runt did he?
    I'm like you, I hate to see them in cages and want to take them all home. That's why I do NOT go in pet stores that sell animals. It's too hard on me and I want to have them all.

But look how well it's worked out for you. Like Doxie said: "a purrfect" situation.

My husband traded some work for Rosie. He was remodeling a kitchen for a guy that raised JRT's and the parents "Mister" and "Sister" had just had a liter. He talked to me about it, we took our daughter out who was turning 6 and I have the cutest pictures of her in a dress and black rubber rain boots with Mister and Sister and their puppies all around her. We didn't really pick Rosie out. The guy that owned the puppies said: 'this is the one that isn't spoken for" and it turned out to be Rosie. A true match. We went back and got her when she was ready to leave her mama. We've always said Rosie cost a kitchen counter.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3173029;
    Gabriel, he didn't stay the runt did he?
    Hmm -- at almost 17 pounds and TALL? I don't think so...

I'm like you, I hate to see them in cages and want to take them all home. That's why I do NOT go in pet stores that sell animals. It's too hard on me and I want to have them all.

But look how well it's worked out for you. Like Doxie said: "a purrfect" situation.
    I rarely go in pet stores, only if I'm looking for new toys for the boy, but I usually end up online buying stuff...

My husband traded some work for Rosie. He was remodeling a kitchen for a guy that raised JRT's and the parents "Mister" and "Sister" had just had a liter. He talked to me about it, we took our daughter out who was turning 6 and I have the cutest pictures of her in a dress and black rubber rain boots with Mister and Sister and their puppies all around her. We didn't really pick Rosie out. The guy that owned the puppies said: 'this is the one that isn't spoken for" and it turned out to be Rosie. A true match. We went back and got her when she was ready to leave her mama. We've always said Rosie cost a kitchen counter.

I love that story.

misskitty I don't know if our pets remember or miss their original families, but I think it's so sweet that you were worried about it. Frankly, it never even occurred to me, all my pets have been so loving and attached to me. You are such a sweet and tender-hearted person, your kitties are lucky to be in your family.

MRD

I agree with Trixie, your kitties are probably not missing their original families because you gave them such a great family and home!

I remember one time we were discussing how good our dogs have it and my husband said he wanted to come back in his next life as a dog and a friend replied that he wanted to come back in his next life as one of OUR dogs!

So I think that all of our pets are probably extremely happy to have us as parents and dont' miss their original mom's at all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread