+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Happy Birthday and many Newfie kisses, Miss Gracie
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by snickertink;3161934;

Bunny, any news on clara? I'm still praying
    Thanks for inquiring but sadly we're still waiting. The kids printed up a bunch of "have you seen me" flyers over the week-end and they are literally posted all over town. We're remaining hopeful as we need her just as much as she needs us.

Misskitty, please give Gracie a few extra birthday kisses from us.
    CYA

misskitty - Happy Birthday to Miss Gracie, such a pretty girl!

bunny555- I am still thinking of and praying for Claras safe return

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!

Miss Gracie is beautiful! Happy Birthday!

MRD

Happy Birthday Gracie, the beautiful.

Terriers were bred to hunt small animals and one method of killing their prey is to shake it. Rosie did that to my daughter's hamster years ago.

From the AKC about the Terrier Group.

People familiar with this Group invariably comment on the distinctive terrier personality. These are feisty, energetic dogs whose sizes range from fairly small, as in the Norfolk, Cairn or West Highland White Terrier, to the grand Airedale Terrier. Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument.

I have to agree as my dogs don't really like other dogs and they are always chasing cats and squirrels and now chipmunks. And they have a distinctive and spirited personality.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3160795;
    Somebody (a kitty lover) told me that animal shelters will capture feral cats, spay them, and then turn them loose again. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
    Yes, it's very common, and it actually makes sense. A long-time feral cat cannot be adopted into a home, so the only alternatives are to either leave them on the street or have them put to sleep. Neutering them and releasing them benefits both the cat (by not killing it) and the society it's released back into (feral cat colonies are responsible for killing huge numbers of vermin - personally I'd rather have a colony of cats living down the road than thousands of rats scurrying through the undergrowth in my backyard).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Thank you all for your wonderful birthday wishes. Miss Gracie enjoyed sunning herself in the flower bed outside, had a wonderful massage, extra treats and a big plate of Tuna Juice! I don't think she looks her age at all.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

YAY...this is great news for our pets!!

Firefighters welcome animal oxygen masks

EDMONTON - Edmonton firefighters today add 24 oxygen masks shaped specifically for animals to the fleet, one for each pump truck.

Crews used to fix masks made for people to pets suffering from smoke inhalation.

It was difficult to get a good seal around the muzzle of a family dog or cat, spokeswoman Nikki Booth says. "Now if you've got a snout, we can fit it on you." The new masks should fit anything from a big dog to a ferret.

sprocket - dog oxygen mask.jpg

Edmonton fire investigator Rod Lewis tries out an animal oxygen mask on Sprocket-3. The fire department will be equipping 24 pumper trucks with the donated masks.

The Invisible Fence of Western Canada, an electronic pet containment company, donated the masks. The City of Calgary has also been given a supply of animal oxygen masks.

Firefighters welcome animal oxygen masks

Pet Pitbull Cloned in Commercial First

cloned-dog-324x205.jpg
    Booger II Aug. 5, 2008 -- Booger is back. An American woman received five puppies Tuesday that were cloned from her beloved late pitbull, becoming the inaugural customer of a South Korean company that says it is the world's first successful commercial canine cloning service.

Seoul-based RNL Bio said the clones of Bernann McKinney's dog Booger were born last week after being cloned in cooperation with a team of Seoul National University scientists who created the world's first cloned dog in 2005.

"It's a miracle!" McKinney repeatedly shouted Tuesday when she saw the cloned Boogers at a Seoul National University laboratory.

"Yes, I know you! You know me, too!" McKinney said joyfully, hugging the puppies, which were sleeping with one of their two surrogate mothers, both Korean mixed breed dogs.

The team of scientists working for RNL Bio is headed by Lee Byeong-chun, a former colleague of disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk, who scandalized the international scientific community when his purported breakthroughs in cloned stem cells were revealed as fake in 2005.

Independent tests confirmed the 2005 dog cloning was genuine, and Lee's team has since cloned more than 20 canines.

But RNL Bio said that its cloning was the first successful commercial cloning of a canine.

"RNL Bio is commencing its worldwide services with Booger as its first successful clone," the company said in a statement.

McKinney contacted Lee after Booger died of cancer in April 2006. She had earlier asked U.S.-based Genetics Savings and Clone to clone her dog but the company shut down due to lack of demand in late 2006 after only producing a handful of cloned cats and failing to produce any dog clones.

The Korean scientists brought the dog's frozen cells to Seoul in March and nurtured them before launching formal cloning work in late May, according to RNL Bio.

Lee's team have identified the puppies as Booger's genuine clones, and his university's forensic medicine team is currently conducting reconfirmation tests.
    McKinney said she was especially attached to Booger because he saved her life when she was attacked by another dog three times his size. The incident resulted in her left hand later being amputated, and injured her leg nerves and stomach. Doctors later reconstructed her hand and she spent part of her recovery in a wheelchair.

McKinney said Booger acted as more than just a canine companion as she recuperated from the attack.

Her dog pulled her wheelchair when its battery ran out. He opened her house door with his teeth and helped her take off her shoes and socks, even though she never trained him to do so.

"The most unusual thing about Booger was that he has a unique ability to reason," she said. "He seems to understand I couldn't use my hands."

McKinney, a screenwriter who taught drama at U.S. universities, said she will take three of the cloned dogs to her home in California and donate the others to work as service dogs for the handicapped or elderly. She said she lives with five other dogs and three horses.

RNL Bio charges up to $150,000 for dog cloning but will only receive $50,000 from McKinney because she is the first customer and helped with publicity, said company head Ra Jeong-chan.

Ra said his firm eventually aims to clone about 300 dogs per year and is also interested in duplicating camels for customers in the Middle East.

Pet Pitbull Cloned in Commercial Cloning First: Discovery News
    Pet Pitbull Cloned in Commercial Cloning First: Discovery News

Miss Kitty, there is a lot more to this story than just the cloning. It is really bizarre, as in someone could not make this stuff up kind of bizarre.

Here is the link....the story is rather long, so I am not going to paste it here, but it is a good read!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-sn...,1633087.story

+ Reply to Thread