+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Mom must not be paying her enough attention...as she sees it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3153121;
    . . . the movie from the 60's about Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion? . . .
    Was that the TV series Daktari?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3154169;
    Was that the TV series Daktari?
    No - there actually was a movie from Disney called Clarence the cross eyed lion, set in the USA. Daktari was set in I beleive Africa

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3154174;
    No - there actually was a movie from Disney called Clarence the cross eyed lion, set in the USA. Daktari was set in I beleive Africa
    We're both right:
    According to IMDb, the film Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion served as the pilot for the TV series Daktari -- which also featured Judy the Chimpanzee. And took place in Africa.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

This morning, there was an article in our newspaper about a woman who travels with her Dachshund. The doxie apparently goes nuts in the car (as Henry does) and so she bought a cd that is designed to "soothe" dogs in the car. According to the article, it worked and the dog fell asleep!

I checked out the website that was mentioned and there are 3 cds. I was skeptical about this, but decided to test it out on Henry. I played the music from the website and he went under my desk and went to sleep! Now, Henry probably is not the best test subject for this since he rarely moves anyway, but I thought it was interesting.

MRD - maybe you could try this with Waldo - the site says that the music helps anxious and nauseous dogs in the car too! Or you could try playing the (free) music from the website the next time there is a thunderstorm. That's what I intend to do!

Through a Dog's Ear
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Cool Doxie, thanks. I will give it a try. Anything to help them. Rosie gets so scared, she shakes and then shakes so hard she pants hard. I'm scared she'll have a heart attack she's so terrified. I need to go back to the vet, but the problem with thunderstorms is that sometimes you don't know if you're going to get one and then when you do and give the pill, then before it takes effect, the storm is over. Plus, I hate to keep medicating her all the time.
    We hardly ever got thunder the first year we lived here. This summer, we've gotten Florida type thunderstorms and all the long timers have been saying how unusal this is and how this NEVER happens.
    Yeah and it's hotter this summer too. Guess we all know what that means.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3154510;
    We're both right:
    According to IMDb, the film Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion served as the pilot for the TV series Daktari -- which also featured Judy the Chimpanzee. And took place in Africa.
    Thank You. I should have checked IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3153234;
    Thanks. I like my "shabby chic" sofa too. I haven't heard the term "Davenport" in a long time.
    How about y Grandmother's favorite name for it.. "settee"?
    I'm tired...it took me a minute to see Bogie--I thought he was under the throw, quilt, whatever that is.

I remember "Daktari" the tv show; I never missed it. I used to laugh when it showed things from Clarence's point of view--two of everything.
    Last edited by queenb; 08-04-2008 at 07:35 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3154686;
    How about y Grandmother's favorite name for it.. "settee"?
    I'm tired...it took me a minute to see Bogie--I thought he was under the throw, quilt, whatever that is.
    It's like one of those hidden picture puzzles Queenb. Find the dog butt.

Settee, we had family that used to say that too.

What used to get me is that we had family that would say the most Southern/County sayings and then say: The "dawgs must be hot, they're all under the porte chochere". The WHAT? Well why don't you just call it a carport darn it!

I grew up with an aunt that you sat on her davenport and looked through the "venetian" blinds at the window to see her "porte chochere" next to the house. You couldn't touch anything in the house and it was agony to have to visit her. She didn't like animals either. Always a big sign in my book.

Interestingly enough, I inherited some of her furniture and guess, what? The dogs LOVED to sleep on her old sofa!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3154681;
    Rosie gets so scared, she shakes and then shakes so hard she pants hard. I'm scared she'll have a heart attack she's so terrified.
    My poor dog does the same thing, plus he's blind so watching him find a place to hide is heartbreaking. I had to block off one of his spots though because the plug to the cordless phone is in his path and he's constantly pulling it out of the socket. My son is home from college and we had a storm while I was out. When I got home I couldn't find the dog and my son's door was shut while he was taking a nap. Poor Frisco was stuck in his room because he must have hid under his bed during the storm.

Yesterday I found him eating cat food, which he had to reach up to the area where the food is to get it (And he's well-fed, in fact he just ate a bunch of popcorn before he decided to snack some more on the cat's food). Then when I saw him and scolded him he was able to make it perfectly into the laundry room and out the pet door without bumping into anything. I wonder sometimes if his blindness is selective . I know it's not but it sure seems like it sometimes. Any other time he bumps into everything but when it comes to food or getting in trouble for something, he has no trouble getting from point A to point B without bumping into anything.

+ Reply to Thread