+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1385Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I have a friend who buried a couple of her pets in her backyard, covered them with lime (to keep other animals from digging them up, she said), and then dirt; made little shrines. Unfortunately, she lived in an apartment building for years and years....and then she moved. Don't know what else to say.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When I lived in the valley, we had a neighbor who was a wee bit cookoo - she had almost 30 cats and some rabbits, etc. She would let them pass in the house and leave them. It was not a good sight or smell. Eventually Animal Control came and took all the animals out. I think she went to a psych hospital because she never came back.
    Yup, with donuts!!

We buried ours in our backyard. We didn't even look it up to see if it was against the city code or not!! I wasn't going to tell Mike - who was in a very sad and upset state of mind to say the least - that we had to see what we were supposed to do with Rocky's body. He said, he's not going anywhere but will stay here with us, this was his home. So he buried him in a pretty deep hole, we wrapped him in a plastic shower curtain, and a blanket. Buried him with his favorite toy. I was worried about the smell - sorry but I was - but it never smelled bad - the grass grew back over it and it's been 3 years now. We did the same thing with Lily who passed a few months later. She is at the opposite side of the yard - she always did try and stay out of his way if she could.

mrd - I always wondered if someone would report us or something, how would they enforce any rule about it?

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3147693;
    I opened a new can of coffee last night and Miss Princess came running to the kitchen! She nearly flipped over because she turned the corner so fast she skid across the floor! I looked at her and said, it's coffee, duh! She meowed and walked away all cool like!
    Yup -- You didn't see that....

MRD

[QUOTE=PGM35;3148090;]We buried ours in our backyard. We didn't even look it up to see if it was against the city code or not!! I wasn't going to tell Mike - who was in a very sad and upset state of mind to say the least - that we had to see what we were supposed to do with Rocky's body. He said, he's not going anywhere but will stay here with us, this was his home. So he buried him in a pretty deep hole, we wrapped him in a plastic shower curtain, and a blanket. Buried him with his favorite toy. I was worried about the smell - sorry but I was - but it never smelled bad - the grass grew back over it and it's been 3 years now. We did the same thing with Lily who passed a few months later. She is at the opposite side of the yard - she always did try and stay out of his way if she could.

mrd - I always wondered if someone would report us or something, how would they enforce any rule about it?[/QUOTE]

I can't believe it would be enforcable. Like I said before, who'd even WANT that job and unless someone reports you then who would know? It just seems like a silly rule to me. And I guess it's not widespread, but I have heard of some communities that have banned the practice and apparantly where I live is one of them.

Several years ago there was a BIG hoo ha in my hometown because one of my parents neighbors wanted to be buried in his own backyard. It wasn't against city code (they have since changed the code to say that all humans MUST be buried in a designated cemetary), but the neighbors went apesh** about it and blocked it. Can't you see the Realtor who has the listing on that in the future: "Now here's a nice home for you, plenty of room, pool and oh yeah, a grave in the backyard!"

I kept saying, they should have had him cremated and then buried the ashes in the backyard and nobody would have known about it. Instead of making it a huge hairy deal with lawyers, etc. But this guy was weird and so was his wife. He wanted to be buried next to the meanest dog I've ever seen in my life. Everyone in the neighborhood hated that dog (and I LOVE dogs, but this was a pitbull that had been made mean and aggressive) and when it died, he buried it in the backyard and when he was dying, he asked to be buried next to the dog.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3148182;

I kept saying, they should have had him cremated and then buried the ashes in the backyard and nobody would have known about it. Instead of making it a huge hairy deal with lawyers, etc. But this guy was weird and so was his wife. He wanted to be buried next to the meanest dog I've ever seen in my life. Everyone in the neighborhood hated that dog (and I LOVE dogs, but this was a pitbull that had been made mean and aggressive) and when it died, he buried it in the backyard and when he was dying, he asked to be buried next to the dog.

I have left instructions that upon my death and cremation, BEFORE I get interred into that damn niche with my folks and my uncle, that Mona & Joeys ashes are to be dumped with me. IF for some reason I go before Joey, I am NOT to be interred until after Joey passes on. Someone can stare at my urn or put me in a closet until then.

MRD

Gabriel, there's a lot of difference in ashes and a body in a casket buried in the backyard. But I think everyone should have the choice of what they want, but there is also a line drawn. I mean, 100 years ago most families had their own plots and it wasn't bizarre to have the family buried on the farm (usually away from the house), but this was a neighborhood and I don't blame all the neighbors for not wanting a grave next door. The cemetary was only 3 blocks away. This guy was a real piece of work when alive and made life in that neighborhood both difficult and at times interesting. But the neighbors drew the line with having him resting forever in his backyard. I just think it was his final "get back at the neighbors" thing from beyond the grave. He did plenty of that alive too.

My parents had instructions to save all the ashes from both of them and their dog and they would be scattered together at the same time. We did and we scattered them in the Peace River and tossed in flowers and dogbones after the ashes were scattered. It was really nice.
    I have left instructions that I want the same thing.

Wasn't there a song or poem - -a tisket a casket ?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3148289;
    Wasn't there a song or poem - -a tisket a casket ?
    Yep, I'm having that sung at my funeral! I want everyone to laugh!

Omg, your poor friend, mrd. I couldn't help but laugh at that story. I mean what else could go wrong?

+ Reply to Thread