+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3125302;
    Hoover dogs!
    So true! We have a fairly large holiday party each year and we always board Henry and Simon at the vet just to make it easier. All of our friends have kids and I never blink an eye when I see them dropping cookies or crackers or anything else on the floor. I know that the dogs will "suck it up" the next day!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

L has a little JRT/Rat terrier that loves to vacuum cars, and I take full advantage when I go over there. Working at night and driving so much,there's bound to be some crumbs in there.
    The funniest doggie vac I ever saw was the tiny female Boston Terrier my sister used to have--she had that 'perfect' BT head with the flat muzzle, and when she vacuumed it looked like she had a pressed her face through the floor.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

This is Dexter, the newest member of our family.

We got him yesterday from a friend of a friend who could no longer keep him. He seems to be settling in okay. He follows us around and loves all of the attention and love my kids are giving him. However, he refuses to come upstairs. Most of our time is spent in our gameroom but he just waits at the bottom of the stairs. The guy who gave him to us rescued him from a kill shelter a year ago. So, I'm wondering if previously he had an owner who had him trained not to go upstairs. Another concern is that he isn't eating much other than his milkbones. I'm sure he misses his old home and owner. Is there anything we can do to help him get past that so he'll eat?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Plenty of love, water, attention and if you can, find out what his favorite foods are. Handsome fella he is. As for the stair thing, maybe he just doesn't like stairs, but if you don't mind him going up/down the stairs beckon him to do it.

Dexter is a mighty fine looking boy!

Labs are such chow-hounds, he'll eat soon. If you're concerned, you might try showing him a Milkbone and then burying it in his kibble.

Not all dogs do stairs. When I fostered Oscar the Auxiliary Newf last year, it took him a while to get used to the stairs. It didn't take him long to figure them out. Oddly, his adoptive family emailed me and said that he was having trouble with stairs Going down stairs is more difficult for dogs because of limited depth perception. I find that it helps to make sure the stairs, and especially the bottom stairs, are well lit. When Bjorn was a puppy, I had to carry his 30-pound butt down the stairs in the morning. That lasted several weeks (about two weeks longer than my back did )Gustav, on the other hand, was racing up and down the steps like nobody's business after a day. Bjorn also refused to go up steps that didn't have solid risers.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Just since I posted last, he came upstairs. We'd been calling him, enticing him with treats, and inching our way up and he wouldn't budge. The kids were laughing at a movie and suddenly, he charged up. Guess he didn't want to miss out on the fun.

You carried him, Newf? Cute but no way can I carry Dex. He weighs nearly 100lbs.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Yes, but remember he was just a 10-week-old puppy. There's no way that I could have carried him when he was an adult.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Lildago,
    Dexter is a very handsome fellow. Congrats on the new addition.

Rosie and Bogie spent most of their lives in Flat Florida, but since moving here, they have had no problem with the stairs. Both race up and down them at the park. But I think that's because at the park, there are so many other people and dogs to see, greet and growl at that the stairs didn't phase them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lildago Dexter is very handsome. I'm glad he figured out the stairs thing, he may have just been a little nervous. It is so wonderful of you to take in someone else's dog. I know most animal shelters/pounds are pretty full during this economic downturn.

Are you feeding him the same brand of food as his previous owner? If not, that may be why he's hesitant to eat. And if you are changing his food expect a lot of gas and possible diarrhea. I was so happy when my newest dog Suki's system finally got used to her new food.

Dog farts are the worst.

MRD

A friend of mine is moving and can't take her cat. I can't take it because I am so allergic and I'm also afraid that because it is mostly an outside cat that the mean cats that roam my neighborhood would tear her up and my dogs would chase her off. She's heartbroken and doesn't know what to do.

Rosie hates being cold. Always sleeping in the sun, sunbathing in the backyard, etc.

I just pulled a pair of pants out of the dryer and laid them on the bed on my way to take a shower. I get out of the shower and she is curled up on the dryer warm pants. Now my pants have to be lint rollered, as they have white Rosie hairs on them. I swear the dog could live in the desert.

Waldo on the other hand acts like he's going to keel over if he's outside too long. He has a lot of hair. I wanted to shave him this summer, but since he gets car sick I can't take him to the groomer and the mobile ones are outrageous. We tried it ourselves and he got very nippy and snappy. So he will just have to hang out on the the tile floor to stay cool.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread