+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3123605;
    I just thought about something...if cats don't have taste receptors for sugar, why do you think my kitty loves Crunch 'N Munch, but has no interest in regular popcorn?
    I was just having a conversation with my cubicle mate about something entirely unrelated to cats (silkscreening and beer), when I realized that I find this a little odd myself. Mr. Rattus has a brewery in the basement where he makes his signature brews, one of which is Cat Spit Ale. It is called Cat Spit Ale because one day when he first started brewing, he left an open container of malt on the kitchen table, only to come back and find Harvey sitting up there sucking back malt to beat the band. Malt is essentially a grain sugar and is consequently quite sweet. Anyway, any time Mr. Rattus opens up a can, the Harv goes a little bit nuts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

OMG I just got a visual of that Rattus! How hilarious! Did you manage to get a picture?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Sadly no pictures of the Harv and the malt, but if I bide my time and am careless about closing things, I can likely get a picture of Finley having a go at the butter, Lincoln grabbing a can of salmon right out of my hand, or the Harv dragging a corn cob out of the compost bucket (or a piece of chicken out of the frying pan, or a pork chop off of the plate I left momentarily so I could go get a drink). For such generally well-behaved, urbane beasts they can get awfully feral at times.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3124002;
    Sadly no pictures of the Harv and the malt, but if I bide my time and am careless about closing things, I can likely get a picture of Finley having a go at the butter, Lincoln grabbing a can of salmon right out of my hand, or the Harv dragging a corn cob out of the compost bucket (or a piece of chicken out of the frying pan, or a pork chop off of the plate I left momentarily so I could go get a drink). For such generally well-behaved, urbane beasts they can get awfully feral at times.
    That is hysterical! Did he really grab chicken out of the frying pan?

Henry is famous for snatching food from complete strangers at outdoor festivals and events. I'm sure that if he could figure out how to heave himself up on to the stove, he'd have a go at whatever was cooking
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I am about the cats and the cat spit ale and the animals getting food.

I caught Waldo licking a Jimmy Dean sausage package the other day. He does NOT get in the garbage, but considers anything that falls on the floor fair game, so I'm thinking that this must have fell out of the trash as we were kind of overflowing the trash can that day.

My husband used to brew his own beer and my SIL made him labels using a dead and upside down armadillo, so he called it Road Kill Ale.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3124105;
    That is hysterical! Did he really grab chicken out of the frying pan?
    He certainly did. Harv loooooves human food, even though I refuse to give him any. At our last house, someone nearby must have had an open garbage (if I could have figured out who it was, I would have given them a gentle suggestion that they not do that) and would throw out the most amazing foods. There was many a day I found Harv dragging home entire pork chops or salmon steaks or chicken legs, none of which had been cut or bitten into. I can't actually imagine anyone throwing food like that out, but I have to hope that Harv wasn't getting into someone's house and behaving like he was at home .

Actually, the worst eating incident we have encountered with the Harv is coming home and finding him lying on his side, all bloated and lethargic, with one pigeon wing and a leg lying beside him. The silly cat ate an entire pigeon at one sitting. That is the equivalent of a human being eating an entire turkey at one sitting. He almost literally didn't move for four days. So now I know how long it takes to digest a pigeon.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

bug, I do know that Miss Sashay likes the taste of salt, because she likes to munch on a couple of potato chips when there is an open bag in the house. She also likes a tiny bit of bologna. Otherwise, she's not into human food. But, don't open a box of Crunch 'N Munch, though!! Beggin' Betty is in action!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Joey loves Nacho cheese Doritos, Mona used to eat pizza crusts and popcorn

My dog Suki likes ice cubes, and Chico likes carrot sticks. They're into crunchy snacks, although anything that falls on the floor is fair game.

Of our 3 dogs, Princess the littlest one will eat anything that falls on the floor or is snuck to her by the kids particularly carrots and cheese. You do not want to be anywhere in her general vicinity though if she's had cheese. :nono
    The other two are a bit more finicky and will only chase after dropped food if it's meat or pasta.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread