+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

I LOVE it Miss Kitty! I'm printing this one out!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just read that the recorded oldest living cat made it to age 36!!! Can you even imagine???

When the doorbell rings, or there is a pounding at the door....one of my gurls heads for under the bed (always has), the other two come to a dead standstill and start growling. Gail used to start growling and charge the door; I think she was confused about her way-way-way back dog ancestor!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-08-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3116916;
    The doorbell, even one on TV, sends Ella running for a closet or under the bed. Absolutely no idea why.
    On some days, me too!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3116578;
    Interesting. See Rosie now associates even rain without thunder as something to be scared of, so I tend to believe its the noise of the thunder and she associates rain with thunder. And she doesn't like the kaboom of fireworks and even loud voices and other loud noises scare her.

And I have a friend who's 16 year old dog is now no longer scared of thunder or fireworks because he's gone deaf, but before that was terrified.

Maybe in some dogs its the electricity, but I think in others its the noise.
    But I'll try the dryer sheets too. Like you said, it can only make them smell better.

It probably is the noise that is scaring Henry. He doesn't like fireworks or loud voices either. He also is scared of Mr. Doxie's pager. I'm still going to try the dryer sheet thing though because I am curious!

Simon used to freak out and bark and do "The JRT Spin" when it stormed, but he's deaf now and he sleeps through storms and fireworks and doorbells. Sometimes, he will see Henry barking at the door and he will start barking too.

And, Henry HATES the "What Not To Wear" theme song. We have no idea why. We had it on about a year ago and when the song started, Henry charged the television and growled at it! It was hilarious because we'd never really seen him look that furious. So, we have that song on DVR and we play it for him every week or so and he does the SAME thing every time. I'll try to get a picture the next time.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a dog question about the dryer sheets. Will using the sheets leave anything on the pups that will make them sick?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3118524;
    On some days, me too!!!
    You're a silly girl Ellen.

I would assume not. The guy that suggested it was a vet who appeared on Martha Stewart's show yesterday. She let him demonstrate the dryer sheet on one of her dogs.

Of course, knowing her, it was probably some organic dryer sheet and she grew the cotton (or whatever) herself and then spent hours painstakingly weaving the fibers together to form a perfect square....

I'm not too worried as Henry's favorite place to plant his long self for a nap is in the middle of a warm pile of clean laundry.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3118942;
    I would assume not. The guy that suggested it was a vet who appeared on Martha Stewart's show yesterday. She let him demonstrate the dryer sheet on one of her dogs.

Of course, knowing her, it was probably some organic dryer sheet and she grew the cotton (or whatever) herself and then spent hours painstakingly weaving the fibers together to form a perfect square

That reminds me of the friend that told me how to make my own baby wipes using baby oil, something else and paper towels!

We had an awful storm here today and I've NEVER seen the dogs so freaked, even in Florida the land of the really bad storms. But now they are saying we had a "microburst" or mini-twister in the neighborhood and I think that explains why the dogs were freaking out so badly. The humans were oblivious. So I'm going to listen to the dogs from now on!!!!

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3117571;
    We have the opposite here Rattus. We discovered by accident (while watching Andy Griffith) that Waldo LOVES whistling. Especially the Andy Griffith theme. My husband actually can get him to come back better out in the yard by whistling that. He also likes the Bridge on the River Kwai theme as well.

Both the Andy Griffith show and the River Kwai movie will make Waldo stop and go up to the tv and start wagging his tail. He's such a goofy dog.
    And I'm sure the neighbors wonder about my husband outside whistling the Andy Griffith theme song.

I thought Waldo would enjoy the CD by Whistling Tom as much as I do. A very relaxing, fun listen. Made by a very colorful and personable man! Who is nice and rather interesting to e-mail. I keep hoping that he will put out another CD soon.
    Whistlin' Tom: Whistling Entertainer -- The Whistling Whistler's Favorite Whistler from Key West

The Documentary by Kate Davis and David Heilbroner "Pucker Up- The Fine Art of Whistling" is also a blast.
    Whistlin' Tom: Whistling Entertainer -- The Whistling Whistler's Favorite Whistler from Key West

MRD

I may have to buy that for him.

I clicked on the link and he ran over to the computer and stuck his nose in the speaker. He sat here and listened, cocking his head. The dog loves whistling.
    Thanks for the heads up!

+ Reply to Thread