+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3108714;
    Miss Gracie: Joey thinks you are very pretty in your photos, however I think Joey could care less unless you come bearing a brush or treats. (Typical boy eh?)
    Joseph: The only gift I bear is my sweet purrsonality. Will that do?

prhoshay: That is a very interesting tidbit!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm not sure if I believe this or not... Today the local news had a "pet segment". The vet in this segment was talking about dogs who are scared of thunderstorms. According to him, dogs are scared of thunderstorms because of the static electricitry.... This guy suggested wiping down the dog with a fabric softener/dryer sheet. I'm going to try this with Henry - it can't hurt him and he will probably smell better!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3109586;
    Joseph: The only gift I bear is my sweet purrsonality. Will that do?
    Only if you smell like tuna honey. I don't have my parts...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3116423;
    I'm not sure if I believe this or not... Today the local news had a "pet segment". The vet in this segment was talking about dogs who are scared of thunderstorms. According to him, dogs are scared of thunderstorms because of the static electricitry.... This guy suggested wiping down the dog with a fabric softener/dryer sheet. I'm going to try this with Henry - it can't hurt him and he will probably smell better!
    Interesting. See Rosie now associates even rain without thunder as something to be scared of, so I tend to believe its the noise of the thunder and she associates rain with thunder. And she doesn't like the kaboom of fireworks and even loud voices and other loud noises scare her.

And I have a friend who's 16 year old dog is now no longer scared of thunder or fireworks because he's gone deaf, but before that was terrified.

Maybe in some dogs its the electricity, but I think in others its the noise.
    But I'll try the dryer sheets too. Like you said, it can only make them smell better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

With my dog, it's definitely the noise. My husband trains gundogs and when mine hears the gun go off or the whistle, he runs and hides. He didn't develop his fear of thunderstorms until the last year or so. I think it coincided with when his vision started to go.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

The doorbell, even one on TV, sends Ella running for a closet or under the bed. Absolutely no idea why.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3116916;
    The doorbell, even one on TV, sends Ella running for a closet or under the bed. Absolutely no idea why.
    Maybe she's just shy and doesn't like guests?

Or like me, if someone comes to my house unexpectedly, it's usually NOT good news or it's someone selling something.

I have to say I feel like Ella at times about the doorbell. I wish I could just get UNDER the bed.

Lincoln, the street cat we took in in March, apparently has a problem with whistling. Specifically with the Andy Griffith theme (one loud piercing whistle means dinner - he has no problem with that). Linc has one of the most piercing and frightening stares I have ever seen on a cat, and the other day while Mr. Rattus and I were discussing quality tv show themes through the ages, I naturally started whistling Andy's theme. Linc just stopped dead in the middle of the living room, gave me that intense, piercing stare and started growling at me. Believe me, I stopped dead and apologized profusely to him for the disturbance.

And while I'm on the subject of Linc, I must say he has turned out to be such a good boy (mostly ). He had some anger issues to begin with, which isn't surprising considering he spent at least a year living on the street, and that would manifest itself in a really hard bite when he wanted to be left alone. So every time he bit me, I would tap his nose with my finger and say "no", until he stopped. When he would bite Mr. Rattus during their play time, I told the Mr. to tap the nose and say "no" because I didn't want any confusion between play time and fight time. He got the message really quickly, and you can now see him make the move to bite when he's aggravated, but stop himself just in time, and he hasn't bitten anyone since April. Such an almost good boy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

We have the opposite here Rattus. We discovered by accident (while watching Andy Griffith) that Waldo LOVES whistling. Especially the Andy Griffith theme. My husband actually can get him to come back better out in the yard by whistling that. He also likes the Bridge on the River Kwai theme as well.

Both the Andy Griffith show and the River Kwai movie will make Waldo stop and go up to the tv and start wagging his tail. He's such a goofy dog.
    And I'm sure the neighbors wonder about my husband outside whistling the Andy Griffith theme song.

For rosie and bogie:

A wealthy old Gentleman decides to go on a hunting safari in Africa, taking his faithful, elderly Jack Russell named Killer, along for the company.

One day, the old Jack Russell starts chasing rabbits and before long, discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old Jack Russell thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!"

Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap, the old Jack Russell exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike. A look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!" says the leopard, "That was close! That old Jack Russell nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old Jack Russell sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up.

The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!"

Now, the old Jack Russell sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?" But instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old Jack Russell says, "Where's that dang monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!"

Moral of this story....

Don't mess with the old dogs. Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Bull and brilliance only come with age and experience.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread