+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3093178;
    Third nail in I went too close and he started bleeding all over the place.
    I learned on Animal Planet's 'Groomer Has It' there's a product called Kwik Stop Styptic Powder. Apparently you can buy it at just about any pet store. It stops the bleeding immediately.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Didn't men use styptic pencils to stop bleeding when they cut themselves shaving?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3093269;
    I learned on Animal Planet's 'Groomer Has It' there's a product called Kwik Stop Styptic Powder. Apparently you can buy it at just about any pet store. It stops the bleeding immediately.
    I'll have to get some of that. I have a styptic pen that you wet and apply to bleeding (I think you can get them in the shaving aisle of the supermarkets) and that stops it too.

Has anyone tried the Petacure roller thingy they hawk on infomercials? I wonder if that really works.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3093308;
    Didn't men use styptic pencils to stop bleeding when they cut themselves shaving?
    Yup! Many years ago when I was young. Nowadays, a piece of tissue usually does the trick.

ACF: Apparently, Kwik Stop is a must in every groomer's bag of tricks.

MRD

Gut, we've all clipped the nail too short on occasion, so don't feel bad. The dog will forget all about it by the time you get back.

But I have to agree with Newf, the nair on the cat story is pretty funny
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We used to use a styptic pencil back when we shaved our legs with razors that you changed the single blade in. I'll def look for Kwik Stop before I try again. Thanks.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, those products are actually just alum in a carrying agent. You can get a big jar of alum for a dollar or less, and get the same thing. (You know I save $$ at every chance, for the vacation piggy) Heck, you can get enough alum to cut critter cclaws and make a whole summer's worth of old timey pickles for a couple of bucks!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Where queenb? At the grocery store or drug store?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3091650;
    I just found out by watching the Discovery channel that it's an old wive's take that if you touch a baby bird, it's mother won't take care of it any more. It was on Dirty Jobs, believe it or not. I can't tell you how many baby birds I just left on the ground when I was a kid because I thought I would be doing it more harm than good. All those poor birdies!!!
    Sorry for the double post, but I hope they also mentioned that if the baby has feathers all over, then it's normal for it to be on the ground. Most birds learn to fly not from the nest, but by jumping out onto the ground where the parents will tend them as they flutter around for a few days. If you put the baby back at this stage it will just jump out again. If the baby cant stand on its feet or is un-feathered, put it back.
    My mommy bluebird is at this stage now, and while I'm sure the babies are around somewhere because of all the twittering and dive-bombing, I never see them. (This is an excellent reason to let my flowerbeds be a bit overgrown!) This usually lasts a couple of days, until she can herd them off into the shrubbery to learn to fly properly.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Mr. Tootles thanks you for his birthday wishes! He had a big plate of tuna juice to celebrate. He may get some grilled chicken tonight! I'm so happy he came into my life. He was so sick when he was rescued. He just stole my heart with them little eyes, powdered nosie, and his gentle trusting purrs. I remember it like yesterday.

Newf: Tootles can pull so hard on his lead outside, I'm sure he could pull a little sled or wagon if he wanted to!

lopevian: Aw. Bad Chloe. Musn't catch birdies. It's a no-no. Go for the bugs!

queenb: Oh No. That Nair story is pricesless. Poor kitty. I hope your doggie forgives you for cutting his nail a bit too close. It's easy to do especially if they move at all. I need another person to hold each of my kitties in order to clip their nails. And Lil Lexi is really a squirmy one! She's a real challenge!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread