+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Parents of Special Needs Kids

Parents of Special Needs Kids

I am just wondering who else might have kids on the Autism spectrum other than me. Kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews.... etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else has one of these fantastic kids. I'll post more about my son once I see if there are any other folks that want to join in the conversation

But just to start it off... my son has Aspergers, is almost 15 now, and was diagnosed around 3 1/2 years old. It's been a long and arduous journey, but he's turning out to be a great kid

Hope to hear from some FoRT'ers!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Re: Parents of Special Needs Kids

I have three nephews who are autistic and I am a SDC teacher. I love my nephews bunches and my students certainly share a special place in my heart. Obviously, can't say much about my students but I love seeing my nephews grow up and seeing their milestones. Last time I saw them they were very excited to show off their reading skills.
    mesachick likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I believe that my second cousin who is 63 years old has Aspergers. To my knowledge she has never been diagnosed, which isn't surprising since I don't think this condition was well known back when she was in school. I believe it because she has every characteristic of Aspergers in a big way. I've researched it over the years and attribute most of her issues in life to it. She is already on disability for other conditions.

It has been very challenging dealing with my cousin. Her entire life, everyone wondered why she was like she is. I now handle her differently since I think I know. I've tried to get her to see a professional to help her with life skills, but she refuses. In many ways she is still like a child. (Posters on her walls, collects toys, temper tantrums, etc.)

Hmmm that is interesting Debb. It's hard to know since all kids on the spectrum can be so very different from one another. Most kids are socially awkward and have sensory issues. Does that sound like your cousin?
    biggbaddgirl and Debb70 like this.

I have a nephew with pretty severe autism. He's high functioning in the sense that he's independent, goes to a school for autistic children, and follows directions well. But he doesn't interact with anyone outside his immediate family. He's 16 and his sister is 18. She's really good with him and is going to college to become a teacher for autistic children.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Hmmm that is interesting Debb. It's hard to know since all kids on the spectrum can be so very different from one another. Most kids are socially awkward and have sensory issues. Does that sound like your cousin?
    Yes, she is very sensitive. If a tv or radio is on, you can't talk. She can't listen to more than one thing at a time. She also cannot pour a glass of milk or make a sandwich while someone talks. She is overloaded very easily. She's even had me stop talking when she was walking towards me. When she feels overloaded she just yells, Shut up! She has no idea that's rude.

Everything has to be exactly the way it has always been with her. No changes are allowed or she will have a melt down like a child.

She talks a lot and has no idea that the other person should be involved in the conversation. She has NO ability to recognize social ques. She has never fit in with her peers and was teased a lot as a child. She doesn't understand the give and take of a friendship.

She often complains that she never had friends in school. A few people would try to be nice to her, but they could not form friendships with her. It's difficult to describe.

She has extreme and obsessive interests in certain things and knows everything about those topics, but knows practically nothing about anything else in life. She loves professional wrestling, basket ball, NASCAR and a few other things. She knows everything about these things, but she doesn't know much else about the world.

She has no empathy. I have tried to explain things to her before about what her mom, neighbor or myself might be going through, but she just never gets it. She only focuses on herself.

She doesn't get many jokes or commercials, because she doesn't understand anything other than the literal interpretation of words and comparisons. Even when I explain, she doesn't get it.

She doesn't feel comfortable going out to places where there a lot of people like a mall or church. But, with certain people that she does know and trusts, she will talk forever and not shut up, even when they say they have to go.

I could go on. It's always been a topic in our family as to what was wrong with her, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I researched Asperger's and saw she seemed to have it. It could be in her medical records somewhere for all I know. Her mom asked me to look after her right before she died. She knew it would be difficult for her.

Sorry this is so long.

Never apologize. These things, well man do we go through a lot as parents. I could write a few books by now lol.

Sounds like she has Aspergers alright. I wonder if she would be interested in learning about it. Knowing what is going on, can help you understand yourself better, and can eventually help change some behaviors as well. My son has been getting help since he was around 3 1/2 and has managed to overcome almost all of the earlier issues he was dealing with. He still has plenty of issues though, just not as severe now.
    Kip and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have a nephew with pretty severe autism. He's high functioning in the sense that he's independent, goes to a school for autistic children, and follows directions well. But he doesn't interact with anyone outside his immediate family. He's 16 and his sister is 18. She's really good with him and is going to college to become a teacher for autistic children.
    How nice for your nephew to have such a supportive family/sister! Sounds like he is doing pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Never apologize. These things, well man do we go through a lot as parents. I could write a few books by now lol.

Sounds like she has Aspergers alright. I wonder if she would be interested in learning about it. Knowing what is going on, can help you understand yourself better, and can eventually help change some behaviors as well. My son has been getting help since he was around 3 1/2 and has managed to overcome almost all of the earlier issues he was dealing with. He still has plenty of issues though, just not as severe now.
    I would love to get her set up with someone to see that could give her a proper diagnosis and then help her understand herself. She really needs it. I've just never been able to get her to do it. I feel that if she could have gotten help like your son, it would have made a big difference. She was an only child and ran the household. Her parents were so permissive with her. She's only lived on her own for a few months before her parents died.

How was your son diagnosed? I know it must be challenging. Do you have a theory as to what causes this condition? Does you son have friends who have Asperger's too?

We are waiting to have my grandson tested for autism. If he has it is mild. He displays many traits. He also is a neonatal diabetic which doesn't help matters. He is behind in his speech and isn't real social. We are hoping the diagnosis is negative but if not so be it. He does really well with me and my family but strangers he doesn't and he doesn't interact with people he doesn't know. He can have a meltdown at the drop of a pin. He hates loud noises and covers his ears. He was also born a little early and was in NICU for a week and then back in the hospital a week later for a blood transfusion and then two months later he was back in the hospital for 10 days being diagnosed diabetic. His is a rare mutation they know not much about. Other than that he is a darling child who just so happened to have been born on my birthday. He is NahNah's little man.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast