+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Debb70
  • 1 Post By Punkin
  • 4 Post By Miss Scarlet

Thread: Neighborhoods of the Rich and Famous

Neighborhoods of the Rich and Famous

I'm not sure how many members we have on board who live in LA or have lived there in the past, but I wanted to have to place to posts for those who are interested.

In fact, the rich and famous live in other areas too, such as NY, Chicago, FL, so the category is more broad than LA.

I found this link for a road trip in LA to be pretty interesting. It shows some beach scenes, neighborhoods, including Laural Canyon and some famous attractions. (E.T.' house from movie.)

Los Angeles Road Trip - YouTube

Does anyone know the cost of living in Beverly Hills? I found some basic apartments that were around $1300.00 per month for a one bedroom. I was surprised they anything that reasonable.

Does anyone know why someone like Oprah would choose Santa Barbara over over areas? It's a lovely area, but there are other areas that are beautiful too.

What's the down side to living in Malibu? How far is the drive from Beverly Hills? I keep hearing it's too far out. Really?

(I'm not sure if I put this in the right place. If not, will somone kindly move it. Tks.)
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-30-2014 at 02:47 PM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Neighborhoods of the Rich and Famous

We visited Santa Barbara while on a coastal cruise last year. I think a lot of celebrities like Santa Barbara because it's far enough away from L.A. that you don't get a lot of tour buses driving past your house every day. It's a LOT quieter than living in L.A., and is quite beautiful. We saw the outside of the house Oprah bought. She has a LOT of money . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We visited Santa Barbara while on a coastal cruise last year. I think a lot of celebrities like Santa Barbara because it's far enough away from L.A. that you don't get a lot of tour buses driving past your house every day. It's a LOT quieter than living in L.A., and is quite beautiful. We saw the outside of the house Oprah bought. She has a LOT of money . . .
    I've read that Oprah has homes in LA, Chicago, FL, NJ, Colorado, Hawaii and one more place, I think.
    AZChristian likes this.

My DH works in LA. (It is just DH&me, kiddos are grown.) We looked in LA for apts. This was 3 years ago. (We moved from Boston).

We could not find anything respectable and reasonable in the 2 bedroom range in LA for under $4,000 a month.

We wanted allot room and was not interested in buying as we still have our Boston home.

We decided on the OC. (DH takes the train.) We have a 3 bedroom apt on the top floor of a high rise (1500 sq ft) for $3500.00

$3500.00 in LA would barely give us 2 bedrooms and it would be 1000 sq ft.

Sooooo, I have no idea where or how someone could have a 1 bedroom in BH for $1300.00?
    MAYBE $5300.00???
    KAREN

Momrek06, Your place sounds great!

I did see many places for the price range you describe. I guess for a nice place with lots of room like you have, that is common. Here's a link for the place I saw. It's a basic 1 bedroom apt. one bath, small.....I did see some comments that it wasn't all that bad... It's $1395.oo per month and I think it includes utilities, but I'm not postive.
    360 South Rexford Drive #12, Beverly Hills CA - Trulia

I have no connection with this apt complex and am no way marketing it. lol Just looking at the landscape of the community. It is rather tempting though............ lol
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-30-2014 at 03:45 PM.

We were on the same California Coastal Cruise as AZ and her husband the week before their trip. I had not been to Santa Barbara before and it was miserable drizzling weather so we took a quick open bus tour (saw Oprah's house too, LOL). It is a very beautiful town with architectural building codes that have commercial and government buildings and many homes in the Spanish Colonial Style. Their courthouse has been called the most beautiful public building in the US. I think they're right. Their Mission is called The Queen of Missions with two bell towers. Our tour guide said there are 200+ different kinds of Palm trees and I found the landscaping throughout quite impressive. If the weather was better that day, I'd have explored more but from what I saw, it is a very beautiful place and I'd live there before LA any day. Because it is on the ocean it has similar weather to what I'm used to.
    AZChristian likes this.

VERY nice.
    Santa Barbara Courthouse

I'm learning some things. I just realized that Disney Land is in Orange County and not LA County.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.

I love watching Million Dollar Homes L.A. on Bravo. I just like seeing the beautiful homes. I sure wouldn't want to clean or maintain one though!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I love watching Million Dollar Homes L.A. on Bravo. I just like seeing the beautiful homes. I sure wouldn't want to clean or maintain one though!
    If you can afford one, you can afford to hire help.
    Punkin, Ellen, AZChristian and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Here's a street view tour of Sunset Blvd. through a residential area from Bel Aire. He gives good tips on the real estate. The speaker says he's on his way to Lisa Vanderpump's restaurant and highly recommends it. lol

Driving Tour of Sunset Boulevard from Bel Air to Holmby Hills to Beverly Hills & Homes For Sale. - YouTube

+ Reply to Thread