+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Three Wishes

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Three Wishes

I got this topic idea from watching Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, but it's not about the show itself so I'm posting it in General Discussion.

If you found a magic lamp and were granted three wishes, what would you wish for?

I actually found this harder than anticipated! You could wish to be rich but what exactly would "rich" mean in dollar value? So would you have to be more precise and say you want 10 million dollars or something like that? And once you got the money, how would you use it?? I could see the IRS auditing you if you suddenly claimed to have an income of 10 million dollars and then how would you explain how you got it? If they did accept that you got it from a genie in a magic lamp, they'd probably impose some ridiculous special tax, like 98% of the total.

You could wish to be at your goal weight (if you're overweight) but unless you kept your diet at a calorie point that would keep you at that level, the weight would come right back on and you would basically waste your wish. I suppose you could choose a specific weight and wish to stay at that level no matter how much you ate or how little you exercised. Or you could wish for a personal chef/person trainer, exercise equipment, or some other tool to help you lose the weight. Or perhaps just wish for a body lift after you lose the weight on your own to get rid of the excess sagging skin.

You could wish to live forever but what happens when our solar system expires and you have no means to go elsewhere? Would you be left drifting in space with no food and no oxygen, unable to die? That's a scary thought.

Would you use your wishes to better your own situation, to help those you love, or to help all of mankind?

Would you use your wishes all at once or hold onto them as long as you could, risking dying before you could use some of your wishes?

I'm still mulling over my wishes. I know some of the things I want but the trick is knowing what to wish for to get those things and not to have unintended consequences.

Re: Three Wishes

Good one pikachu. I'm going to have to do some mulling myself as this is not an easy one. Let me think on it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

One thing that would be cool to wish for is the ability to speak and understand any language. It would probably be wasted on me since I don't travel much, and certainly not out of the country. However, if I did have that ability, I could get a job to better utilize that ability and probably make enough to afford to travel more.

It would also be awesome to be able to breathe underwater so you could swim or dive for as long as you want without having to come up for air. Although you'd still have to be careful about cave-ins or predators. You might get to a part of the water where people needing diving equipment can't come with you and be unable to get help if you need it!

Another useful thing to wish for is a do-over feature. For instance, if you say or do something, you have the ability to go back within a fixed time (say a week or a year) and change what you said or did. I don't know if you could make it where you always had that ability or if your wish would only allow you to do this once. The only thing is, it might take longer than the time allowed to determine that maybe you should have undone your move, you might cancel out some good consequences that happened along with the bad ones, and the new choice you make might have his own problems even worse than your original choice and then you would have no way to switch back.
    Kip likes this.

I believe the unintended consequences come from not letting the Universe decide what is best, or how best to get there. So I'd probably stack all 3 of my wishes on "peace of mind", not really caring how that was achieved.
    Shoepie likes this.

I'd split them 3 ways... 1. successful, happy, healthy lives for my children 2. Good health and an easy death for myself 3. peace on Earth
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Interesting how to word wishes without loopholes...
    Punkin likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Maybe it's because my dad's an attorney that I think of it that way. Or my Criminology training.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'd split them 3 ways... 1. successful, happy, healthy lives for my children 2. Good health and an easy death for myself 3. peace on Earth
    I like these 3. I'd add grandchildren to #1 & somehow make sure I was financially comfortable for the rest of my life. Not rich. I don't care about that. Just enough to know I'm going to be able to take care of myself financially & go on an occassional vacation.

The do-over is a bad idea. Hasn't anyone watched Back to the Future or It's a Wonderful Life? Change the past & you change the present & future. Sometimes it doesn't turn out the way you expect.

It would take some thought to refine the 3 wishes to get them worded right.

Of course the best wish of all: 3 more wishes.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I've often wished to have the ability to hear other people's thoughts. Sometimes you can kind of tell what they're thinking by their facial expressions and body language but not always. I've also wished I could transmit my thoughts to others because sometimes it's hard to express in words what you want them to know. It seems like a long story to tell, you don't know where to start, you get emotional trying to say what you want them to know, etc. How nice if you could let them tap into what you're feeling and what you want them to know without saying a word!

I'm not sure how to go about wishing for a guy to be with. It's not enough for them to look a certain way. You'd have to have a connection with them and have them have feelings for you. Maybe the best thing to wish for in that regard is to meet a lot of men so you'd increase your chances of finding the right one.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I thought about this before.

For me,

1. Have my guardian angel be a real, immortal person. (don't judge me)

2. Worldwide peace and acceptance

3. Three more wishes
    Photobabe likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast