+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

I recently had a discussion with my 9-year-old daughter about geodes. These are rocks that look like a typical rough rock on the outside, but are full of crystals when you break them open. She was intrigued by this idea, but we completely forgot to look up pictures on the internet later. A few days later I had a post on my Facebook feed for a "Break Your Own Geodes Gift Pack". What perfect timing! I can't wait for her to check these out!! (Note: I have been to the physical location of this store in Albuquerque, MN and ordered from them in the past so I trust them for online ordering.)

Break Your Own Geodes Gift Pack

I thought this was a great (and fairly unique) gift idea so I thought I would start a thread that could get people sharing other interesting gift ideas for 2013. Maybe we can trigger some gift ideas for hard-to-shop-for family members!
    Cootie likes this.

Re: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Geodes are cool! And I know other "rock heads" who'd love 'em, too.
    Thank you for the info!
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Cool idea! My cousin has two boys - ages 10 and 13 - who would probably love that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I found a bag of unbroken geodes when I was looking for something else. How do you break them open?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I found a bag of unbroken geodes when I was looking for something else. How do you break them open?
    I believe a hammer and flat face chisel are the recommended tools. Score the circumference with the chisel then tap the chisel with the hammer. Easy does it.

My favorite gifts for my grandchildren are taking them to the theater. One year I took my then 6 and 8 year old granddaughters to the theater to see the Broadway tour production of Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang. A couple other times I took them to the children's Christmas show at a local dinner theater. Last year I treated 6 grandkids and their parents to a holiday magic show held at a local comedy club. We all had a blast! The kids always get a small gift to unwrap and keep.
    inthegarden and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Thank you, Photobabe. I didn't want to just smash them with a hammer. I think I got them for the kids' stockings one year and hid them well enough that I never found them. I do that all the time. One of my favorite Christmas gifts is homemade rum balls. People get pretty obsessive over them. I used to give them to my kids' teachers and found out years later that the first thing the teachers would say when they saw our last name on their class list was, "I'm getting RUMBALLS for Christmas!". One year I took them to the Girl Scout Leaders' Christmas party where they do a Yankee Swap (I HATE Yankee Swaps with the passion of a thousand suns) and they were the gift that got swapped and fought over. I always take them for our Secret Santa party at school. The secretary can't eat chocolate, so one year I made her a white chocolate version and then started riffing off that. I invent a new flavor every year - ginger snap, peppermint bark, etc. and make it in addition to the regular.
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I believe a hammer and flat face chisel are the recommended tools. Score the circumference with the chisel then tap the chisel with the hammer. Easy does it.
    The ones I got came in a small sack and the recommendation was to crack them open inside the sack. I imagine for safety so no rock shards go flying around!

I think I got them for the kids' stockings one year and hid them well enough that I never found them. I do that all the time.
    I have done this as well! One year my son wanted to get into woodcarving and I got him a bunch of supplies. The NEXT YEAR when I was retrieving gifts from hiding spots I found one of the whittling knives that I had missed the previous year. That was also the year that I learned when ordering gifts online you need to OPEN THE BOXES and check the contents before it is too late to send it back if they sent you the wrong item!!

One of my favorite Christmas gifts is homemade rum balls.
    I have never had a rum ball. What are they exactly? Are they like a cookie?

Since our families live in different states, we needed to find gifts that are easy and not-so-spendy to ship but still unique and personal. So for the past several years, we've used iPhoto to design our own calendars using photos we've taken during the year. Then we simply upload the file to Apple, and they do a beautiful job of printing them on high-quality stock.

They've become a real hit (we order one for ourselves, too!), and I even make a version without the family-specific stuff for client gifts.
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Since our families live in different states, we needed to find gifts that are easy and not-so-spendy to ship — but still unique and personal. So for the past several years, we've used iPhoto to design our own calendars using photos we've taken during the year. Then we simply upload the file to Apple, and they do a beautiful job of printing them on high-quality stock.

They've become a real hit (we order one for ourselves, too!), and I even make a version without the family-specific stuff for client gifts.
    I like this idea, especially for my parents and my in-laws. It would be fun to get some photos from my husband's siblings too so it wasn't all about my family!
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast