+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Re: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My dad gave an anniversary gift to his parents once of all the coins from their year they were married--pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, etc. He had them mounted on red velvet and framed. They really liked it and thought it was a different and interesting gift. Although he gave it to them as an anniversary gift, I don't see why you couldn't do it for Christmas. You could use the year of birth for an individual instead of an anniversary date.

Where would you find the coins from those years? I'm considering that for my dad. He's huge coin fan.

My late Aunt always gave gifts to every one of her nieces and nephews and their spouses and eventually their children! It was always a cash gift ... and as the number of recipients grew ... I believe there were more than 40 of us ... and her available $$$ lessened, the amount of the cash gift grew smaller. Eventually ... she went and bought $1 dollar Lottery tickets for each one.

The quilt block post reminded me of a personal situation ... same aunt ... with crocheted granny squares ... which I will post in a more appropriate thread.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Where would you find the coins from those years? I'm considering that for my dad. He's huge coin fan.
    I'm curious, too my dad loves coins, and he'd get a kick out of coins from his birth year.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My Mom & Dad are each getting a Nook and a gift card to load them up.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Love the calendar idea! Our family has lapsed into giving gift cards, which is the worst kind of giving there is, as far as I'm concerned. My brother gives me an Amazon e-certificate for my birthday, which I turn around and give right back to him at Christmas. We're all past the age where we need stuff, so I'm trying to convince everybody to either draw names or just limit the gifts to fun, small items. So far, nobody's keen on either idea.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'd have to ask my dad where he bought them. I assume since there are people who are coin collectors there's a place to buy them. And now that we have the internet, it's probably a lot easier to buy coins. They might even sell year set of coins on Amazon or Ebay.

I remember he had the worst time getting the Kennedy half-dollar because there was something special about that year and it was much more expensive than it usually is.

Out of curiousity, I looked up US coin set 1971 on ebay (the year I was born) and found a set selling for $4.26. It has the penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and half-dollar. Shipping is 1.99. Boy, I was a cheap year!
    Last edited by pikachu; 11-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

Amazon.com: birth year coin sets
    This was just one of dozens of options when I googled "coins of your birth year".
    Debb70 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

That is a great idea . . . . since we'll be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary next year, I think I'll do it with two sets of coins - 1964 and 2014. And since we'll be on a cruise ship on our anniversary, it's double great because it won't take up much space to pack! Thanks!
    Punkin and just1paul like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Love the calendar idea! Our family has lapsed into giving gift cards, which is the worst kind of giving there is, as far as I'm concerned. My brother gives me an Amazon e-certificate for my birthday, which I turn around and give right back to him at Christmas. We're all past the age where we need stuff, so I'm trying to convince everybody to either draw names or just limit the gifts to fun, small items. So far, nobody's keen on either idea.
    Would they be more receptive to the idea of donating to appropriate charities in each other's names? Last year, my oldest sister donated to a handicapped riders program in my name, because I've always liked horses and I've done some pet therapy myself, though with a dog, not a horse. Picking a charity that is something the person receiving the gift would support makes it a little more personal than a gift card. We also exchange really small gifts (like a pair of earrings or a single book) sometimes. I actually enjoy doing the whole gift thing, but I recognize that my siblings find it problematic, so I just do the gift exchange stuff with friends instead.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    That is a great idea . . . . since we'll be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary next year, I think I'll do it with two sets of coins - 1964 and 2014. And since we'll be on a cruise ship on our anniversary, it's double great because it won't take up much space to pack! Thanks!
    I was thinking it would be a nice idea for graduations too.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast