+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Re: Interesting Christmas gift ideas (for any age) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'd welcome any brainstorming ideas.
    Mmmmmmmmmm. Here's my brainstorm: Bacardi 151! That would give a kick!
    Ellen likes this.

Hahahaha! I always doubled the rum in the original recipe a friend gave me, so one year I went ahead and wrote the doubled amount down on the recipe card and - you guessed it - the next year I doubled THAT! Those were some strong rum balls!
    Punkin, Ellen and JunkieGirl like this.
    Count your blessings!

Hahahaha! I always doubled the rum in the original recipe a friend gave me, so one year I went ahead and wrote the doubled amount down on the recipe card and - you guessed it - the next year I doubled THAT! Those were some strong rum balls!
    Gutmutter! Yesterday when the rum balls came up I wandered off to Yahoo to see different recipes at Allrecipes and a couple of other sites. Of the several recipes I found they all recommended 1/4C to 1/3C rum. This morning I found the link to your recipe and it calls for One Cup of rum! Giiirrrrllll! Could you post all of your recipes with alcohol for me? You're my kind of cook! Give the people what they want, and then double it! I'm definitely going with your recipe. And with the 151! :>) BTW, DH, who often thinks my ideas are a little off, really likes this one!

About Christmas giving, I try to do something crafty and inexpensive so I can make a lot of little gifts for friends, neighbors and family. Last year I was captivated by the Air Wick Color-changing scented candles. Air WickŪ Color Changing Candle. I managed to get a bunch of Air Wick coupons at eBay and hit every Target and other store carrying them 'till I had 20. I was able to get them for $5 to $6 each. Then I went to Michaels and got some holiday 'stick-on' decorations and decorated them, each one different than the next. Then I put them with tissue in little colorful, shiny Dollar Store gift bags (3 for $1) to give out. This is one I made for me:

candle 004 (449 x 600)a.jpg

And, I have a bag of Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Raspberry chips to use! Raspberry + Chocolate = Heaven!!!
    Last edited by Punkin; 11-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Where did you get the chocolate raspberry chips? That could be my new flavor right there!
    I should warn you about the rum balls... once you make them, you will be expected to make them EVERY YEAR!
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I'm considering bags of Goji berries as a smaller gift. As I get older I have started to rather resent gifts that take up room (I'm trying to get rid of stuff!) especially if I'm not wild about them or that include foods I struggle to avoid, like chocolate. I'm quite capable of trashing my health on my own, I don't need help from friends.

That's a great gift idea, Brooks! Another one might be macadamia nuts. Most people don't buy them for themselves, but they're so good!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

My late mother had a limited budget for gift-giving, but being older and no longer working, had more time than money. She also enjoyed cooking, as do I, but I've always hated chopping up vegetables. So, she'd wait until vegetables like onions, peppers etc. were on sale, or just plain given to her, chop them up and freeze them, and hand over a big batch of them to me on gift-giving occasions. I mentioned that to someone in her twenties who had just moved into her first apartment who was wondering how to get her grandmother to stop spending so much money on gifts for herself and the other grandkids, many of them around her own age. I suggested that if there were recipes of her grandmother's she wanted that she didn't have that she might ask for those too. Her grandmother was delighted with the idea of someone wanting her recipes and fresh veggies (her grandmother grew her own vegetables too, so it was a real money-saving gift for her), and the other grandkids liked the idea too, so it was a win-win for everyone.

A friend of my sister's once gave all her driving age nieces and nephews a nice window-scraper with a gas card attached. They loved it, she didn't have to push through crowds of shoppers to get the gift, and it was appropriate for either gender. For the kids of my co-workers, I buy chocolate-filled German advent calendars (last year I got them on a two for one sale at World Market and they were only $1.49 each to begin with). I don't have to worry about gender or age, it's just one tiny piece of chocolate per day so it doesn't give them sugar highs, and it gives the little ones something to do until Christmas. For those learning their numbers, it's also practice at that.
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That's a great gift idea, Brooks! Another one might be macadamia nuts. Most people don't buy them for themselves, but they're so good!
    Drooling right now. One of the best gifts I ever got was a huge tin of macadamia nuts from my son, who was a teenager at the time, and didn't have much money to spend on gifts. I would never, ever buy them for myself as they are so expensive. They are my favorite nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I've always hated chopping up vegetables.
    Yes!! Well, I don't really mind but it can take so long. Every weekend I'm spending considerable time chopping up the greens I'll use in smoothies that week and then freezing them. What a joy it would be for someone else to do that for me! Not so much this time of year but next summer when I'll need to spend my days in other activities. Gift certificates could work well for this. Back when I had a vegetable garden and growing tomatoes were effortless for me (that only lasted a few years, LOL), I gave folks at work homemade gift certificates for a delivery of either large or cherry tomatoes.

Where did you get the chocolate raspberry chips? That could be my new flavor right there!
    I should warn you about the rum balls... once you make them, you will be expected to make them EVERY YEAR!
    I found them at a Lunardi's store. I think that is a regional store around here. I bought five 10 ounce bags and have never seen them again. Even going online now I don't see them at Hershey's but did find this: Raspberry Chocolate Chips - By the Pound - Nuts.com That site also has mint and lemon chips.

I just have one unopened bag left. I think your rum ball recipe just screams out for them! For so many years I made several batches of Quaker Friendship cakes at Christmas. People just started expecting them and in the long run it became a chore. I'm happy to start a new tradition with rum balls. At least they don't take thirty days to make!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast