+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

Pinching Pennies in a Recession

As this recession drags on, I'm cutting costs as much as I can. I'd like to hear others' tips on how they're saving money, big and small, and making due in tough financial times.

Re: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

A few things I've done in the past week to cut costs:

Cancelled my newspaper - my relatives are letting me read theirs.

Called the cable company and removed services, plus got an extra $3.25 a month reduction in the cable bill because of a current special.

Found a good home for a German shepherd that we've been caring for for months (we've had him since his owner was hospitalized - when his owner got out of the hospital, he didn't want him back).

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm not interested in being an extreme couponer, but I have started checking out the sale paper for the local grocery store every Wednesday. I've found that I can buy a LOT of meat at a good price that way. Last week, I got enough t-bone steaks to make dinner at least 6 nights for about $7; yesterday I got 10 boneless pork loin chops for $9. They also had those pre-chopped salad kits for Buy One, Get One Free, so I picked up a couple of those.

My big thing is that I use my Southwest Visa card for EVERYTHING and pay it off the end of the month so I don't pay interest. I pay my cell phone, water bill, car insurance, food, church offering . . . EVERYTHING I possibly can . . . with it. Then when we go on vacation, I pay next to nothing for flights. We're flying round trip from Phoenix to Fort Lauderdale next month, and it's only costing $10 for the two of us. It's about a $1,200 trip otherwise.
    waywyrd, nennie and Coco46 like this.

I do my shopping at Aldi for big savings. Wednesday is their special meat purchase day, and I should make a point to shop on that day (I almost never do!).

I used to be a couponer but there was too much about it that I didn't like (unfriendly cashiers, time spent clipping coupons and organizing them, driving from store to store burning up gas, and filling the pantry with unnecessary stuff!).

I also use my Citi card for (almost) everything for the cashback bonus.

Enjoy your trip, AZC!
    AZChristian likes this.

For those who don't mind weak coffee ...

I learned this week that if I brew coffee pot #1 (regular/strong), I can brew coffee pot #2 by just adding water and using the same coffee grounds. The second pot is weaker, of course, but it tastes fine to me. And I've cut my coffee bill in half.

I price match at walmart. The store ads we get on tuesday feature stores that are out of town so if there is anything that walmart has I price match. Our local grocer runs good sales and I buy there too. Our walmart cashiers are good to tell us if Aldi's has something cheaper and they price match it for us but I live in a town where we know a lot of the cashiers. I don't coupon because they usually don't have coupons for what I buy and I can't afford to stock up on stuff I am not going to use.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I just cut my son's hair - he's still little enough to go along with it. The older boys won't let me near them with the scissors. That saved $10 plus a tip.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Do you drink a lot of coffee, rgw? I drink at most 2 cups in the morning, usually one cup, and like my coffee brewed strong, so that tip is not going to fly here. Thanks for posting this interesting topic. I wish I could save on our cable bill as it is ridiculously expensive. I rarely watch the premium channels but there are some shows on HBO and Showtime my hubby likes so he would not want to cut those channels. I had gotten a half-price deal on all of the premium channels but now the deal has ended. Unless you count satellite TV there is little competition here (Verizon FIOS and Optimum), so the prices remain high. I have been switching back every two years between companies to save but I am getting tired of the hassle. I clip coupons but am not an extreme couponer by any means. I have shopped in Aldis in PA and their prices are great but we don't have any where I currently live. I find shopping at the big box stores like Costco and BJs to be hit or miss. You definitely have to know your prices. Cleaning supplies are more expensive and certain things are cheaper at the dollar store. Dairy and bread products are much cheaper and certain meat prices are cheaper, too. Produce and other items come in too large a quantity for my family of 3. I feel the supermarkets with their double coupons work out cheaper for me. My home insurance is due this month and since my husband and I are over 50 we get our insurance through AARP- The Hartford. I have not found anything cheaper.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

If you buy flavored creamers (with a coupon or on sale), you can mix them with leftover cooled coffee, pour it over crushed ice, and have something as good as Starbucks for just pennies instead of dollars. :-)
    rgw718 likes this.

When I started taking yoga classes, it was the first time I did not have to dip into savings at the end of summer. That was six years ago. I guess the mindset is that that is an extra thing that will not make you happy.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast