+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

Re: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

Ooooooh! Watch out! It is totally illegal to do that at our school. She'd be suspended.
    Count your blessings!

It appears to be okay at her school. She says it's fine, as long as it happens during lunch. There's a new bracelet craze where the kids make bracelets out of small elastic bands and trade and sell them. She hasn't gotten into that yet (other than making one purchase).

I think it's cool that kids can be mini entrepreneurs. Glad your school system allows it, RGW.
    rgw718 likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I go grocery shopping every two weeks, but before I enter that grocery store, I make up menus for those weeks, choose the foods I need to make those meals with and then stick to it. My husband and I don't eat meat every meal, but substitute some kind of bean dish, which is cheaper and just as nutritious. The meal plans include leftovers which I use to create someting else with. Most important of all, I don't let my husband do the shopping as he comes home with all kinds of expensive stuff.
    rgw718 and inthegarden like this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Thrift stores, GoodWill, etc.

Goodwill had a 20% off everything day yesterday.

SO mentioned that he needed some "knock around" jeans and I went yesterday and found 5 pair for $20 ... all in good shape.

i wish I would have had a little more time ... to shop for myself too!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I buy lunchmeat in rectangular plastic containers with snap-on lids (at Aldi). Those containers are very handy for storing leftovers in both the fridge and freezer. They're stackable, clear plastic, so it's very easy to see what's inside them. I've found that I throw away a lot less food since I've made a habit of using them for leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Thrift stores, GoodWill, etc.

Goodwill had a 20% off everything day yesterday.

SO mentioned that he needed some "knock around" jeans and I went yesterday and found 5 pair for $20 ... all in good shape.

i wish I would have had a little more time ... to shop for myself too!
    Great deal on the jeans, echo!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw718 View Post
    Great deal on the jeans, echo!
    Thanks!
    Just as info ... every Wednesday is Senior Day (15% off everything) and the 15th of every month is Scratch Card Day ... you get a card and the discount is 10, 15, or 20 per cent. There is also something on Sundays and Mondays that I think has something to do with the colors or the tags?

There is also an additional discount if you carry your Goodwill card. Sign up for email and they send special deals.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Ooooooh! Watch out! It is totally illegal to do that at our school. She'd be suspended.
    The same holds true for here, and as a parent, when I send my child to school with lunch money, I don't want anyone tempting them to use it for trinkets or candy, so I'm grateful we have that rule.

I've noticed more people stopping to pick fruit off of trees that are in easement areas. It's free and it would just go to waste, so I think it makes good sense. The farmer in our area doesn't even have to climb off his tractor to get his afternoon snack.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    The same holds true for here, and as a parent, when I send my child to school with lunch money, I don't want anyone tempting them to use it for trinkets or candy, so I'm grateful we have that rule.
    Hi BB! It's a little different at my daughter's school (a small charter school). The kids bring their lunch every day - there's no cafeteria. The only money they bring would be for snacks or drinks from the machines (or to buy goodies from their friends).
    Baby's Breath likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast