+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

Re: Pinching Pennies in a Recession

Can someone tell me more about Aldi store. I think we have one in Raleigh, but I don't know much about it.

I recently went online and got coupons for Staples. I got some pretty good discounts on my coffee, ink cartridges and free copy paper. I also found a very nice two part, zippered bag for my purse that feels great and is so nice looking at Staples on clearance for $1.00! And micro fiber dish towels for 50 cents each. PLUS, I had gone online and saw the price for the Brother toner, but when I arrived at the store, the price was $10.00 MORE! I told the clerk and she checked it and then gave me the lower price.

I've started asking about prices on most things I buy that are over $50.00 to see about discounts or less known brands that cost less.

Does anyone use recycled ink cartridges? I'm considering it.

I'm cutting out Showtime, HBO and Cinemax. I've tried to get a lower price, but they don't offer one. I'm going to continue to work on it.

I'm comparing the costs of professional liablity insurance, auto coverage, etc. to get the best prices.

I've gone online to get discounts on my perscription medications, though many won't apply if you have insurance. I was able to get one month of free insulin though! I'm also looking for another health insurance plan that costs less.

I get discounts on everything I buy from my pharmacy (Rite Aid) with my store card, because they credit me with my medication (insulin) purchases.

I check almost daily on gas prices. The price per gallon in my area can vary greatly on the same day.

I'm into preventative health care and home monitoring. It's gotten to be a hobby, especially with our cats. The equipment can easily pay for itself. No vet bills, no stress on the cats, and I can catch and treat issues before they turn clinical. Mostly urinalyses but I can do a lot of other stuff too.

I do a lot of the things mentioned here. We have our phone, internet, and cable bundled and I've had good luck in continuing the discounted rates by calling and asking. We don't carry a personal cellphone plan (the kids just use facetime and texting apps). I cut hubby and kids' hair. We try to buy used whenever possible (consignment, craigslist, etc.). If buying anything big in the store, always ask if there's a discount for cash because there usually is. I try to be a frugal shopper, especially with groceries, and plan my weekly menus around the sales and making use of all leftovers. We have a big freezer which holds veggies put up from our garden as well as split up portions of meat that we buy in bulk (on sale or from the processor). The thing that helps me most is to write out a budget before the month begins and be very purposful with our spending - it seems to go farther that way.

eta: the comment about shopping for best prices in insurance reminded me of this - I've found our homeowner's coverage automatically raises every year, but if you call they will adjust it back to the original rate... it's something written into the policy, but a call once a year takes care of it.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 10-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    rgw718 and inthegarden like this.
    remember to play

Eating less is a great way to save money, and I rarely hear anyone talk about it (e.g., skipping a meal). People just love their food. I'm not much of an eater, so I can really save money in this department. There are four other people in my household, though, and I make sure they are well fed.

Hi ECM!

Coffee pot #1 in the morning is for my teenage son. He leaves for school, and I brew coffee pot #2. I fill it up to the 3-cup mark, but it actually makes two regular-size cups of coffee. That's enough for me for the day.

Hi Debb70,

I'm a big fan of Aldi. Here's a quick rundown:

(1) Take a quarter. You'll use it to get your shopping cart. You'll get the quarter back when you return your cart after shopping.

(2) Take cash, debit card or food stamps. No credit cards.

(3) The store is small, so you will get through it fairly quickly. Just don't go right after church lets out.

(4) Many products at Aldi are their store brand. The prices are cheap, and you save time because you're not comparing prices and varieties of product.

(5) The cashiers are quick (they are timed). You can buy bags for $.10 each, bring your own bags, or pick up boxes throughout the store. You will bag your own groceries on a countertop near the checkout.

(6) There are no bag boys, so you will have to take your groceries to your car. Bring a helper if you need to.

(7) Check the store hours. Around here, I think they open at 8:00 am and close at 7:00 pm Mon-Sat. Sunday hours are 12:00-6:00.
    Debb70 likes this.

I just got back from Aldi and spent $118.84 for the week. This is a big load, because we are out of so much food. It will feed our family of five plus two dogs. I'll try not to go again for a week, unless we run out of milk. I generally try to spend around $100.

Best advice for saving money is to not use any credit card for impulse buys, clothes, or anything that isn't absolutely necessary. If you don't have the cash on you or money in your checking account, you don't need it.
    Then always pay off the card(s) in full each time you get the bill. Never carry a balance.

I also ask myself before most purchases: "Do you really NEED it, or just want it?" "Is is a luxury or a necessity?" You must answer painfully honestly.
    If the answer is "want", then the question is: "How much do you want it? And do you have the money on you?" If you don't have the money on you, then you wait until you do. If it's expensive at all, you save for it, not pay later.
    You can talk yourself out of a lot of unnecessary luxuries that way.

I'm a save now/buy later kind of person. First of all, if you have to save first, a lot of things don't seem as important later. Second, you get a great feeling if you've saved up for something you really want & then get to have it.
    Plus, the bills don't add up & pile up that way.
    Hyper, Coco46 and AZChristian like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Best advice for saving money is to not use any credit card for impulse buys, clothes, or anything that isn't absolutely necessary. If you don't have the cash on you or money in your checking account, you don't need it.
    Then always pay off the card(s) in full each time you get the bill. Never carry a balance.

I also ask myself before most purchases: "Do you really NEED it, or just want it?" "Is is a luxury or a necessity?" You must answer painfully honestly.
    If the answer is "want", then the question is: "How much do you want it? And do you have the money on you?" If you don't have the money on you, then you wait until you do. If it's expensive at all, you save for it, not pay later.
    You can talk yourself out of a lot of unnecessary luxuries that way.

I'm a save now/buy later kind of person. First of all, if you have to save first, a lot of things don't seem as important later. Second, you get a great feeling if you've saved up for something you really want & then get to have it.
    Plus, the bills don't add up & pile up that way.
    Thanks. That is a nice timely reminder as people are doing their pre-Holiday shopping and buying.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I'm getting some good tips here.

Oh, I took my car in for brake repair yesterday, getting an estimate for about $400.00, but they discovered it wasn't needed. They cleaned them and the charge was only $35.00! That was a good feeling.

When I go shopping, I will put the items that I really feel I need or really want in the basket. Then after I'm done, I will go to a corner of the store and evaluate each item. I consder price, quality, and if I really need it. Can I get it later? And if it's a gift, I really consider if the person would use it. I always put back a lot of items, sometimes all of them!
    rgw718 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast