+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pets? Do Tell!

Thank you so much!

You have all been so supportive and sweet and helpful. I am so glad I have each of you. I cannot imagine how much harder this would be if I did not have your hugs, good thoughts and prayers. Your words have really helped me today and I can never thank you enough for sharing with me. I know that it is going to take me more than 24 hours to get over this, but you guys have got me off to a good start today. What a great group we have here!

YOU ROCK!

Oh no!.....I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your 4-legged family member, Fiefer. ::hugs::
    I can't even fathom that one day my Shelby will pass. She has been with me for 8 1/2 years, so she's getting up there in years. It will take time to get over the grief, but just like BF said, think of all the good memories your dog gave you and your family.

BF, everytime I read the Rainbow Bidge it makes me cry too.

ok, i'm going to make this the saddest post ever.

i find out about feif's dog a couple of days ago.
    then today i take my dog to the vet for allergies and came out with a death sentence. they gave bea 6 weeks top to live.

i am never getting another dog. i hate this part.

sorry to make the thread sadder. and jenn, we need to go eat a lot of comfort food.

Oh Sher, that truly sucks!
    May I ask...... Will Bea be in pain? Are you able to spend time with her at home?
    Ultimately I would hope the vet was wrong, but if not I hope it is a very peaceful process.
    I'll be thinkin' of ya Sher!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

she's not in pain yet. basically, the vet told me to take her home and bring her back in two weeks. i'm assuming that will be when i need to make a decision.

wanna hear something strange? in the middle of the night last night i woke up and got out of bed. my bf, sc, asked me what was wrong. i said, "my dog is dead." i have no idea why i thought that, but i had to get up and find her. she was just sleeping on the couch... but i was certain she was dead. complete forshadowing, i guess.

she has a type of untreatable cancer, i was told. something the doctor was certain of without the biopsy. i just thought her glands were swollen from being sick and bad allergies. but apparently all of her lymph nodes were very swollen. he said he would do the biopsy, but i said no. that i wouldn't put her through the treatment (prior to my finding out she was untreatable) and just wanted her comfortable until it was time.

so she's at home with me now. seems fine, just has breathing problems b/c the glands/lymph nodes in her neck are so large.

i'm so sad.

Oh Sher and Feifer, I am so sorry to hear about your recent experiences. I went through something similar 2 years ago. Our little sweetie had bone cancer in his chest. It grew from something tiny like a pimple to 1/2 basketball size in almost no time at all. The surgery would have cost $5-6000 and might have only given him a couple of extra months with tubes coming from his chest as well as chemo treatments. As much as we hated the situation, there was no decision as far as we were concerned. We bought our buddy a puppy to mentor, and the two of them had a great couple of months together before it was time to put him to sleep.

I wish you both well, and hope that the pain of loss goes away quickly for you, leaving you nothing but happy memories.

Zhora
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Sher, with all due respect to your vet, how can he/she know without a biopsy? Perhaps you could/should get a second opinion?

Please keep us posted, Sher...we're here for you...

Wow, I missed quite a bit of bad news here over the weekend. Sorry to hear about Feifer's loss and Bea's grim prognosis. It's so tough to lose a pet. I've managed to avoid the experience by simply being away from home when our faithful dogs (Chet and Khan) have died. Almost makes it feel like they might still come bounding out of the woods, even though I know they're actually buried there.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

no, it's ok lo -
    he said he couldn't be sure without the biopsy, but she was a classic case.... there are other signs as well as the lymph nodes. and the fact that she's been on steroids for 5 years for bad allergies basically sums it up. the steroids cause cancer but she would have lived a miserable life without being on them. double edged sword.

here's kind of how i feel on the situation. if she has cancer, it's not worth putting her through the treatment in order to prolong her life (she would be miserable, the life she would live after treatment wouldn't be worth living and it would cost more than a fortune that i don't have). if she doesn't have cancer, then she won't die within six weeks.

i have another vet to take her to that i know, but at this point, i'm going to provide the same life, with the same drugs, that i've been providing over the years.

does that make any sense?

thank you for the shoulders, you guys.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Sher , I'm so sorry. I wish that pets had our lifespan so that we wouldn't have to go through this.
    I think you've made the right decision. Why put her through it if she's not going to enjoy the life she has.I hope her last bit of time is happy.
    :::hug:::

+ Reply to Thread