+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Happy mother's day 2013

Happy mother's day 2013

I wanted to send a Happy Mother's Day to all those mothers and those who have loved as a mother. I saw this touching article about a daughter who wanted to give tribute to her mother. I loved it.

Judi Freedman: A Mother's Day Tribute to My Mom
    inthegarden likes this.

Re: Happy mother's day 2013

I get to be in a Mother's Day sandwich this year... my mother and one of my daughters will be home.
    Cootie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

We are going to visit our daughter this weekend to celebrate the combination of Mother's Day and my birthday. She has a whole weekend of activities planned for us. I haven't seen my daughter for a couple of months, so I'm pretty excited.
    justCoz and Cootie like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

It's so nice if you can see your mother on Mother's Day. We are planning a big family lunch after attending church together. They honor the mother's at church with carnations.

I'm considering getting my mom some hanging ferns. She's mentioned she wanted a couple several times. It sounds so simple, but it's the only thing I've heard her say she wants. If I ask her, she'll say she just wants to spend time together.

Happy Mom's Day to all!

I get to plant some flowers for my mom on Sun, my youngest son is meeting me there where we will make a cake, my youngest sister and her husbandwill join us for a festive dinner I will bake for us! OK, it might not be all that festive, but my hands will be clean!!

Happy Mothers' Day to all mothers!

I have a Mothers' Day question for you. I guess it's about Mothers' Day etiquette.

When buying cards or gifts, do you only get them for your Mother, Step Mother or Mother-in-Law? How about your own daughter who is a mother? How about your daughter-in-law who is a mother? How about your Grandmother? How about your Sister who is a mother?

For men, how about your wife who is the mother of your children?

Personally I like to honor them all & buy gifts or send cards, or at least call them up & say "Happy Mothers' Day". But what is proper etiquette? Are all these Mothers included or just your own? I know people who do this either way.

As a mother, I like to be acknowledged by as many people as possible. This was especially important to me when I was a young mother. I felt a little left out when it wasn't acknowledged to me. I didn't care about gifts, but hearing people say it made me feel good, & not hearing it made me feel neglected.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I'm not sure of the proper etiquette for giving Mother's Day cards, but I think if you want to make someone feel special and you have the funds, why not.

I have given cards or a small gift to those mothers whom I knew would not get anything, such as those who were single moms with young kids or a mother whose children were dead or didn't bother to contact her. The thought was appreciated.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

My mom and grandmother are deceased but when they were alive, they got a card and gift. I buy a gift and card for my mother-in-law, whom I adore, and give cards to my own sister, and two sisters-in-law. I don't send Mother's Day cards to my aunts because I have far too many.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, Miss Scarlet. If you enjoy sending cards and gifts, then just do it.

moms_day.gif

What brought this to mind was that I now have both a daughter & a daughter-in-law who are mothers. My own mother is gone. I bought gifts & cards for both. Not outlandish or expensive ones (like Christmas gifts), but just nice pamper yourself gifts like young mothers would appreciate. I certainly don't buy for every mother I know or am related to, but if I happen to run into one or am talking to them I always wish them their "happy".

But I got to thinking, I never got cards, gifts etc. from my mother-in-law when I was married. We got for her, but it was never acknowledged to me. My mother would always call to say thank you for her gift & say Happy Mothers' Day to me, & usually sent me a card.
    My husband at the time never got me anything because "you're not my mother". That hurt. I went through 9 months of pregnancy & childbirth more than once, & raised our children. I felt that should have counted for a lot.
    I always got him a Fathers' Day gift & card.

Anyhow, am I going overboard by buying for daughter & daughter-in-law, or do most of you grandmothers do the same?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

You are right Miss Scarlet. Husbands should ensure their wife feels special on Mother's Day. Dad should make sure the little kids have a gift for mom, even if they are divorced, IMO. Good will goes a long way in divided families.
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast