+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

My Mom had her stomach acting up, so all she ate was some stuffing and a partial piece of turkey. The wine from my administrator is vey good, I had a glass as did my Dad. Uncle doesn't drink wine, Mom of course only had a bit of water. That's ok - MORE WINE FOR ME later. heh heh heh. So I had a 3 lb turkey breast roast, 4 baked potatoes, 2 mashed sweet potatoes, a bunch of california mix veggies, one box of stuffing, gravy, my folks brought a pie and whipped cream, my uncle broght 3 pints of different Ben & Jerry and I have the following left: 1 1/2 lbs of roast, 2 1/2 baked potatoes, almost all of the sweet potato, almost all of the veggies, half the stuffing, 1/4 of the pie (my uncle took 1/2 home) one pint vanilla ben & jerrys. Even if my Mom had felt like eating more, I would still have just a little less than I do now. So next year if I do this - it gets even smaller or I drink Beer and wine BEFORE I start. All in all it was ok. Nice to have the family around.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We had a great time. I won't list the food that was served. It's obscene. LOL Many left overs. I packed that fridge so tight. OMG. We are serving lunch today for a couple who couldn't make it yesterday. (Too many familes and schedules, you know.) Man, it was delicious. If you want a FANTASTIC dressing recipe, go to Paula Dean's on the Food Network. We tried that this year and OMG, it was the very best ever. Tip, knock off a couple of eggs and cook a little longer than she says.

Guests stayed much longer than we expected, but that's great. So nice.

We ended up watching the orginal Little Women on TCM comercial free. Yaaay.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

There's nothing like Thanksgiving with family who aren't getting along for the moment. But isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about-- family, and all the ups and inevitable downs?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The best left overs I've got is the turkey carcass, which has been in my fridge since last night. Tomorrow, I'll boil it up with some onion, garlic and celery to make stock. Once again, my cousin came up from NOLA and ate the hell out of everything. We have mere tablespoons of stuffing, sweet potatoes, and Waldorf salad left. At least we have the cranberries.

I'm swearing off Christmas if she's invited. I'd rather a sad frozen pizza than a plate full of carbs and no meat. Plus the conversation with my dog and 4 cats will be far less caustic.
    just1paul and inthegarden like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    The best left overs I've got is the turkey carcass, which has been in my fridge since last night. Tomorrow, I'll boil it up with some onion, garlic and celery to make stock. Once again, my cousin came up from NOLA and ate the hell out of everything. We have mere tablespoons of stuffing, sweet potatoes, and Waldorf salad left. At least we have the cranberries. I'm swearing off Christmas if she's invited. I'd rather a sad frozen pizza than a plate full of carbs and no meat. Plus the conversation with my dog and 4 cats will be far less caustic.
    It's too bad that your cousin ate most of the turkey, after all of the trouble you went to, to cook it. A pizza doesn't sound so bad for a Christmas dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    The best left overs I've got is the turkey carcass, which has been in my fridge since last night. Tomorrow, I'll boil it up with some onion, garlic and celery to make stock. Once again, my cousin came up from NOLA and ate the hell out of everything. We have mere tablespoons of stuffing, sweet potatoes, and Waldorf salad left. At least we have the cranberries.

I'm swearing off Christmas if she's invited. I'd rather a sad frozen pizza than a plate full of carbs and no meat. Plus the conversation with my dog and 4 cats will be far less caustic.
    A Pizza christmas sounds great!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Christmas pizza is hubby and my tradition:
    After four and a half years of being "just friends," we finally decided we really loved each other on Christmas Eve 1993 over pizza followed by "It's a Wonderful Life." We have pizza every Christmas. Really awesome pizza...
    PhoneGrrrl likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I ended up not doing anything I planned for Thanksgiving. lol! I never know how I'm going to feel at holidays. I remember one year not planning on doing anything for New Year's but then that night I had a burning desire to go out and do something so I ended up going to a party downtown. I made tentative plans for Thanksgiving this year in case I ended up wanting to do something but on that day, I was satisfied with staying home and having leftover pizza and wings from the night before. I figured I had a long weekend ahead of me so I could go to a movie and out to eat anytime I wanted to. As it is, I think I probably won't go out. I'd rather save my money. I've been enjoying the long weekend with my kitties, watching tv, reading, and cleaning up around the house a bit.

Pizza and wings sounds so awesome
    Ellen likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I have to laugh...I had a conversation with my mother tonight expressing that I'd rather stay home and have frozen pizza if my cousin comes up for Christmas, and she said she's okay with that and would want to join me. My cousin is *her* niece, but my dad kind of stuck his foot in it and prematurely asked the cousin what she was doing for Christmas. So at least I'm not alone in being exasperated. It makes me feel better that I'm not being bitchy alone.

So pizza it may be!
    Ellen and just1paul like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast