+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Doing anything fun for Halloween?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Doing anything fun for Halloween?

We'll just have to have an online Halloween party here tonight. BYOC!

That means bring your own candy.

Our trick or treating starts in an hour. I've only had a very small handful in past years, but I've noticed a lot more adolescents hanging out one street over, so am prepared for more. I lave a long, dark driveway, but i do light up my entryway. Almost all my middle school students I asked said they were going out ToT-ing. I know some don't agree with that, but my kids used to love it at that age, too. Another teacher said she gets around 300 at her door!!! She has to buy massive amounts of candy and doesn't enjoy handing it out. Lives in one of those large "additions" near the school. Lots and lots of families and then others drive in because there are so many houses in one place.
    Count your blessings!

Sitting in the dark, drinking sauvignon blanc, and watching Survivor.

I am not actually the All-Hallows version of the Grinch - there are reasons. (1) We don't get more than two kids per season, usually less; (2) we do get teenagers - I don't want to feed them, but I'm afraid not to; and (3) I buy enough candy so that no one gets left out, which means that there are pounds and pounds of fun size bars left over and I have absolutely no self-control. It's just better not to have them in the house.
    PGM35 and wannasee like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Well I got my one group of immediate neighbor kids, including the one who tore down my Halloween decorations. His sister wasn't wearing an obvious costume so I asked her what she was supposed to be. She said she was a butterfly but didn't want to wear the wings... so basically, no costume. I don't think she deserved candy, but maybe that's just me being cranky.
    Count your blessings!

I hope to get a few kids, last year we did not get anyone! I live on a hill and I don't think the families like to hike up. They can get more action in one of the flat neighborhoods nearby. But I am hopeful. I always give candy to any age of kid, costume or not. Sometimes my son's friends were the only kids I would get and they were always hungry for any kind of food!

When I was three I refused to wear a costume and wanted to go "as myself". My mom was mystified but let me do it. So I guess I have a more tolerance for "no costumes" than most people.

We've had probably 200 so far and we are about out of candy so we're going to be shutting off soon. My 12-year-old wanted to hand out candy this year. He was wearing all black and a scream mask that oozed blood. He scared lots of little kids, but he gave the ones who screamed extra candy. That's Halloween! My 16-year-old took the 7-year-old vampire out trick-or-treating and put on a cape and grabbed a pillowcase. I whine about teenagers in no costumes, but there I sent one out. But she just came home and said she didn't trick-or-treat, but she planned on hitting lots of houses and wanted a backup for the little one. HAHA. They got a huge haul. That's the way to do it.
    Cootie likes this.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I forgot to mention that because we get so few trick or treaters, that I give the parents candy, too. I have heard that there are some parents who end up taking their kids' candy especially if it is chocolate, so I plan to help out by including them. They usually like the surprise.

I always give treats to the parents/teen chaperones. We're in a second-floor apartment, so most of the time, the parents/chaperones wait on the sidewalk. So I put the kids' treats in their bag, and hand them an extra to "give to your mom/dad/brother/sister I'm watching!" I also yell down: there's a treat for you!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My problem with no costumes is when the kids are a little old to be trick or treating (like in their teens). I figure they're old enough to buy their own candy. If they don't even bother to wear a costume, it just seems like begging. I can understand not wanting to give up the ritual of trick or treating because it's fun but at least put some effort into it to deserve a handout.

The neighbors had a corner food party. And I had a lot of fun chit chatting with them. And I ate an extra reeses cup when I hot home to celebrate my good mood.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast