+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Doing anything fun for Halloween?

Re: Doing anything fun for Halloween?

We're going to Old Town -- they have a lot of fun events for both Halloween and Da de los Muertos.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We had our annual Bunco Halloween Party last night and I'm tired! Gets harder every year...probably due to old age but we won't talk about that.
    We also do a bang-up job of decorating so that takes a lot of work. But it was fun, great costumes on everyone and although I'm not personally a big fan of Bunco, I do love all everyone gets
    to interact with everyone else...always seem to be new people and after the first run, everyone is friends with everyone else.
    And every year while getting ready for the party, and after cleaning up, I swear I'll never do it again......until next October, and I do it again.
    I was a Ladybug this year. I always go for comfort in a costume...definitely not creative but I can last thru the entire night that way...6PM to 12:30AM.

I may dress up to hand out the candy, which I made up in special bags. At some point in the evening I like to pass the candy giving to someone else so I make a quick walk thru the neighbourhood to see the decorations and kids running about. Of course if its raining out that night, I will be staying home.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I always decorate my windows for Halloween. Fiber Optic pumpkins/pumpkin figures, bats & owls in the windows, black & orange garlands. Plus a few in the living room too.
    I'll stay home in hopes of trick-or-treaters, although the numbers have been drastically dwindling in the past 5 years especially.
    My son will bring my grandson over, hopefully in costume, & a few friends with young children/grandchildren sometimes come by.

I think visiting in costume & large organized children's parties have taken the place of trick-or-treating.
    What a shame. I remember the fun & slightly scary feeling of going around the neighborhood after dark in costumes & masks you could barely see out of, trick-or-treating door to door.

Kids now just don't know what they are missing.
    I think unfortunately part of that is because times have changed. There are seriously some whackos out there now who can mess around with candy.

We just moved into a new house about a month ago. It is right behind an elementary school and it is one of those neighborhoods where everyone is around our age and EVERYONE has kids. Already, the decorations have been out of control. I am so looking forward to taking my kids trick-or-treating this year! We used to live in a condo with a lot of foreigners, so the holiday was not a big deal. We always took my kids about 45 minutes away so they could trick-or-treat with their cousins. But it will be so nice to do it in our own neighborhood. And it will also be nice to meet some of the other neighbors, since this isn't really the time of year when people are out and about!
    cablejockey likes this.

Halloween is my favorite holiday so I normally put some effort into decorating my front lawn. Last year, I had hay bales and metal stalks of corn along with a scarecrow, an autumn welcome sign, a metal witch that had "the witch lives here" stamped across her black ruffle bloomers (lol) and a few other things, including window clings. This year...eh. I'm just not feeling it. I have nothing out there but a few small pumpkins.

My neighborhood gets a fair amount of kids and in the past, my older boys stayed home and passed out candy while my husband and I took the little one out, but he's always disliked trick or treating for some reason so we didn't take him this year. I think that put a damper on things. We had beggars night Sunday afternoon and we went out to lunch. We got back with maybe 40 minutes left so my 10 yo went out and passed out a bowl of candy I bought for us last week. Nobody here was eating it and I was resisting because of my diet..lol. The little one had so much fun handing it out that I think next year, we're just going to dress up and sit out there with him.

We have a newly appointed mayor and she decided that evening trick or treat wasn't safe so she switched it to the afternoon. It has pissed a lot of people off because it's more fun and really, there had been no reports of candy muggings or anyone getting hit by a car or any other disaster, so her switching didn't even make sense. We live in a town with less than 3,000 people and it's a close knit community. Everyone has always been very respectful and careful on beggars night. It's not like we live in a big city with lots of traffic or whatever. Bah humbug.
    cablejockey and Dragonlady like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnt hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

How odd then that your mayor decided to not allow evening trick or treating! Sometimes it does seem that everyone is over cautious even when nothing warrants it! But how is the town going to enforce this new law? Pick up anyone out there after dark? Ridiculous!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I *was* going to spend Halloween in New Orleans with my sister. Got a costume and all that. Now it's looking like she won't be making it to her conference as her ticket to fly down is out of LaGuardia on Wednesday morning. No word on whether that airport will be open yet, and it's not looking good. It's so, so weird that I'm worried about all my northern friends & relatives for a hurricane; it's usually the other way around! Well, I guess if she doesn't make it down, I'll don my costume, put the dog in his (he has a super cute frog costume) and go for a walk in the evening. Not the Quarter, but it'll be fine. Fewer drunks, to be sure.
    cablejockey and JavaJo like this.

Last year was our first year in our house and we were SO excited to finally be able to decorate and have trick-or-treaters! We went all out and dug a graveyard in the flowerbed, some had zombies climbing out, random skulls and other body parts flung around. I wrapped some of my flower pots with webbing to make giant spider eggs and converted one with babies and put giant Mommas on the rest, it looked pretty gross. We borrowed a life size wicked witch that turned her head and cackled for the picture window, hung her and a couple flying monkeys under a bunch of green lights, set up her big cauldron and draped black fabric behind so it looked like a night sky! I was SOO happy with how it turned out!!

The outdoor stuff was up for about 3 weeks and we never had anyone touch a thing, we ended up with about 60-70 kids Halloween night, some of which pulled up in mini-vans, only went to our house and drove away. I remember doing that with my parents after we did our neighborhood so I gotta say it felt good to be 'that' house!

This year we've had snow for over a week already and it just keeps dumping more, I've been sick going on 9 days now and neither of us has the energy to dig around under the stairs to pull it all out let alone set it up I do still plan to dress up when I hand out the candy tho, I never turn down a chance to play dress-up!
    coltnlasma likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It ends up I'm going to be working on the White Cane Bulletin with other ladies on the Council of the Blind tonight. We're having chili for supper. Not exactly a thrilling Halloween night but at least I won't be alone.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Sad face. My Halloween party was canceled as they don't have power. I was sort of looking forward to it as it would be a nice pick me up after the storm. Although I am super lucky that my mom was evacuated to my place and we had power (and now internet!) the whole time.

But my lion tamer costume was all ready...
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast