+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Share your BEAUTY secrets????

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Share your BEAUTY secrets????

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    One time many years ago, I had some great flecked sparkly nail polish. I thought it would look great as eye shadow.
    DON'T EVER DO THIS!!!!!!! BAD, BAD BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!
    What were you, 7? What a disaster!

I was ok with my hair going gray, but not my eyebrows--they just disappear...I use a combo of brown powder with a little brush that maybe is meant to be shadow, then mascara, then wipe off the excess after it dries and then the powder again. Looks pretty natural.

Also agree that fat under the skin is one secret--I have no lines between my eyes or at the corners and am just beginning to get a couple faint ones on the forehead and I"m 70. At one of our high school reunions someone asked me what me secret was and I said gain 5 pounds every year...she thought I was joking. Needless to say that's not the healthiest solution!

I also use Oil of Olay for sensitive skin WITHOUT the SPF, which is now apparently off the market... I'm on my last bottle and can't find any more... I went to their website which is full of people complaining that it is gone. You think they'd notice. Their regular version, which is pink, feels heavy as do the SPF versions.
    I also use their eye firmer thing...tiny bottle that only lasts a month ... in the last few years, and I think it makes a difference. I agree...moisturizer is the key...and fat. And it is best to start it preventively, before you have wrinkles.

I also try to remember something my grandmother told me when I was about 7 and asked her if the deep sharp line between her eyebrows hurt--it was so sharp and deep it looked like a cut. She told me to remember that we would all have wrinkles some day, our only choice was to choose whether they'd be laugh line wrinkles or frown line wrinkles---maybe not totally true, but I admit I do rarely frown--if I'm displeased I'm more apt to raise my eyebrows and do the "look" than frown.
    Last edited by PWS; 10-09-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    inthegarden likes this.

I wear full makeup every day - like someone said earlier, it's for me not anyone else. I feel better with it. I don't use moisturizers or any skin care regimes. Just soap and water usually. have started using the Oil of Olay make up removers towelettes though. Easier to use one and throw away. I use liner, eye shadow, blush, powder foundation. I have for years and people say I look years younger than I am. I am 42 and look in my early 30s I guess. maybe older. I also wear false eyelashes everyday. My real ones are so straight and short. I don't want to use any of those lengthening drops so I just use the fake strips. Most people can't tell they are fake. They just look like I've curled and mascaraed (sp?) them. Lipstick too - I use the all day ones. They have the moisture sticks with them to give them the glossy feel to them. They really do stay on all day - even through eating and drinking. I've been working out a lot more so I get an occasional pimple/zit/acne here and there but the Clearasil stuff works pretty good for me to dry them up.
    IMAG0888-1.jpg

One time many years ago, I had some great flecked sparkly nail polish. I thought it would look great as eye shadow.

Not that I would but.... dare to share???? Why such a BAD BAD BAD IDEA?

[QUOTE=PWS;4569456I also try to remember something my grandmother told me when I was about 7 and asked her if the deep sharp line between her eyebrows hurt--it was so sharp and deep it looked like a cut. She told me to remember that we would all have wrinkles some day, our only choice was to choose whether they'd be laugh line wrinkles or frown line wrinkles---maybe not totally true, but I admit I do rarely frown--if I'm displeased I'm more apt to raise my eyebrows and do the "look" than frown. [/QUOTE]

I like that! I will have to remember that. While I know some people will purposefully NOT smile just to avoid lines/wrinkles. I just don't know how to do that nor would want to. I especially love when I'm doubled over in pain... from laughing so hard. OMG... can you imagine how many lines/wrinkles I'm getting when I do that. *stops herself from smiling* *tightens up face* and starts doing face tightening exercises....

I'm often known to raise an eyebrow from time to time.... but can only raise the right one. UGGGHHHH... my luck I'm only going to have lines/wrinkles on one side of my face.

Thanks for the laugh! Ahhh, the innocence of youth.
    My Aunt was a beautician, once, during a summer visit, she let us wear wigs out shopping. Mine was a long flowing dark blond wig, a big departure from my pale yellow natural curly hair. I thought I was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. I could run my fingers through my hair without them getting tangled, brush my hair from crown to end, wear a ponytail, flip my hair like my older (straight haired sister ) basically all the things you can't do with curly hair. People stared... I thought they were thinking the same thing I was...Look how beautiful she is...
    prhoshay and I'm here like this.

They sell these single-application facial masks at Walmart now. Freeman is the brand. I've tried the hydrating pomegranate rub one and the cucumber peel-off mask. The hydrating one was eh, but the cucumber mask was great! My skin honestly looked like I just came out of a spa. It was like 1.29, way more affordable than a 100 facial! There are other varieties that I'm going to try out. Maybe one a week because I don't want to overdo it.
    I'm here likes this.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    They sell these single-application facial masks at Walmart now. Freeman is the brand. I've tried the hydrating pomegranate rub one and the cucumber peel-off mask. The hydrating one was eh, but the cucumber mask was great! My skin honestly looked like I just came out of a spa. It was like 1.29, way more affordable than a 100 facial! There are other varieties that I'm going to try out. Maybe one a week because I don't want to overdo it.
    I love those!! and they are not a huge cost.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I wear full makeup every day - like someone said earlier, it's for me not anyone else. I feel better with it. I don't use moisturizers or any skin care regimes. Just soap and water usually. have started using the Oil of Olay make up removers towelettes though. Easier to use one and throw away. I use liner, eye shadow, blush, powder foundation. I have for years and people say I look years younger than I am. I am 42 and look in my early 30s I guess. maybe older. I also wear false eyelashes everyday. My real ones are so straight and short. I don't want to use any of those lengthening drops so I just use the fake strips. Most people can't tell they are fake. They just look like I've curled and mascaraed (sp?) them. Lipstick too - I use the all day ones. They have the moisture sticks with them to give them the glossy feel to them. They really do stay on all day - even through eating and drinking. I've been working out a lot more so I get an occasional pimple/zit/acne here and there but the Clearasil stuff works pretty good for me to dry them up.
    Attachment 28603
    OMG. I think your beauty secret must be genetics. Too bad you can't bottle that. You do look young for your age.

What kind of eyelashes would you recommend. I've been thinking of trying some, but the idea of glue near my eyes is a turnoff.

Thanks! Yes, it must be genetics b/c my mom just turned 66 and she doesn't look a day over 50 (in my opinion anyway). I use the Ardell brand. Much easier to work with and cheaper than the Revlon ones. I actually have started buying much cheaper ones from Amazon but I am so used to them, that I don't mind that they are "generic". Here are the brand pics if you wanted to try them out.

51EII8bssEL._AA115_.jpg
    and this glue since it dries dark and looks more like liner instead of the "clear" which really dries more like a "milky/clear" white goo.

41pKgwMNUnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Not that I would but.... dare to share???? Why such a BAD BAD BAD IDEA?
    First off, I was in my later teens. An age for unabashed stupidity. You think you know everything & every idea you have will turn out great.

Results:
    You know how some nail polish has a strong smell. It's chemical fumes. And it's made out of stuff that only turpentine will get off. That alone is a huge clue not to do this. Those nasty miserable fumes absorb straight through the eyelid & into the eye. Then the stuff is stuck to your lid & you can't just wipe it off.
    I literally scratched it off with my own fingernails, frantically, screaming the whole time. I stuck my face under cold running water & continued to scratch. I wiped, I scratched, I flushed with water, until the stuff was gone & the excruciating pain had finally subsided. My eyes continued to burn for days, but tolerable. The whites were red & my whole eyes looked like I had the world's worst allergy & then got mercilessly beaten.
    I couldn't wear eye makeup for weeks.
    I'm lucky I didn't lose my vision, or eyes.

Like I said: BAD, BAD, BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread