+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Injuries, illness and hospital stays

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Injuries, illness and hospital stays

Have you ever broken a limb? Had surgery? Stayed overnight (or longer) in the hospital? Been in a car crash where you were injured?

Fortunately, I've never broken an arm or leg. The only time I've ever stayed in the hospital was when I had a hysterectomy. I was there for 2 nights because I was nervous about being by myself the night after surgery and my plans to stay with relatives had fallen through. By the next day, we got our arrangements figured out and I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a few days.

I was excited to stay in the hospital. I knew it wasn't going to be fun having nurses coming in and out all the time but I liked the idea of being able to relax without having chores to do and getting to have my meals delivered to my room. lol! The one thing I didn't like was the hospital bed. It was so uncomfortable, I didn't get any sleep the first night. The second night, I was at least able to sleep a bit.

I've had two times that I had out-patient procedures done. I had minor procedures done and didn't have to stay overnight. I've also had my wisdom teeth removed.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-31-2012 at 02:49 PM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Injuries, illness and hospital stays

Okay, pikachu, another slow day at work?

Hospital food is the worst...at least around these parts. I had my adenoids removed when I was an infant so I don't remember that hospital stay. Then when I was around 9 or 10 I had my tonsils removed and that was a day or two hospital stay. I remember lots of ice cream, so that was fun! No further hospitalizations until my sons were born, and I stayed for 5 days each, back in the day when a C-section required that many days. Now, they boot you out after 24 hours! Then, a few years back I needed to go to the hospital b/c my internist said I was dehydrated. She told me to check into the ER of our nearest hospital and get some IV fluids. Not so fast said the doctors...they did a battery of tests and even brought in infectious diseases b/c they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I developed a high fever out of nowhere on a Sat. night, and lapsed in and out of sleep for the next 4 days. I literally could not keep my eyes open. That is why I became dehydrated as I wasn't eating or drinking. I checked in on a Wed. afternoon, got some IV fluids and checked myself out that Friday night. They never did find out what had been wrong with me. Then, a little over 2 years ago I fell and fractured my ankle and foot. I needed to go to the ER but no hospital stay, thank goodness. Just had to wear that cumbersome boot for about 8 weeks and go to P/T.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yes, it is a slow day at work! I didn't sleep well last night, partly because of computer trouble I was trying to fix and partly because it was too darn hot to sleep. I have to have something to occupy my attention or I'll fall asleep at my desk.

That's weird that they never figured out what was wrong with you but I'm glad you ended up ok.

It seems that since my dad has gotten older, even the most minor illnesses get him in the hospital. The last few times he's gotten the flu, he's had to stay in the hospital because of dehydration. It makes me worry about him. I lost my mom about 6 years ago and I don't want to lose him, too.

We have two hospitals in my area in addition to the numerous walk-in clinics, private clinics, etc. I was born at one of the hospitals but I don't like to go to that hospital because my mom died there. It brings back painful memories even driving past the building. The other hospital is more updated and their emergency room is more efficient. There's not nearly the wait-time at their ER as there is with the other hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Okay, pikachu, another slow day at work?

Hospital food is the worst...at least around these parts. I had my adenoids removed when I was an infant so I don't remember that hospital stay. Then when I was around 9 or 10 I had my tonsils removed and that was a day or two hospital stay. I remember lots of ice cream, so that was fun! No further hospitalizations until my sons were born, and I stayed for 5 days each, back in the day when a C-section required that many days. Now, they boot you out after 24 hours! Then, a few years back I needed to go to the hospital b/c my internist said I was dehydrated. She told me to check into the ER of our nearest hospital and get some IV fluids. Not so fast said the doctors...they did a battery of tests and even brought in infectious diseases b/c they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I developed a high fever out of nowhere on a Sat. night, and lapsed in and out of sleep for the next 4 days. I literally could not keep my eyes open. That is why I became dehydrated as I wasn't eating or drinking. I checked in on a Wed. afternoon, got some IV fluids and checked myself out that Friday night. They never did find out what had been wrong with me. Then, a little over 2 years ago I fell and fractured my ankle and foot. I needed to go to the ER but no hospital stay, thank goodness. Just had to wear that cumbersome boot for about 8 weeks and go to P/T.
    Ok, this topic is hilarious!! Thanks, pikachu!

About the bolded ECM, maybe it depends on your insurance? At least here, c-section is 3 days, including the day of the c-section. I should know - I've had 2 in the last 5 years!! Neither were fun hospital stays because not only are you recovering from surgery, but they encourage you to "room-in" with the baby. First time we did. Second time, my husband had to go home every night and take care of my daughter, so my son went to the nursery. But between trying to breastfeed and/or pump, him being in the nursery didn't mean I got any more sleep the second time around!! What I do remember is that while the hospital didn't have the greatest meals, they had AWESOME peanut butter cookies in the cafeteria. Every time someone called to say they were coming to visit, I told them to stop in the cafe and pick up some cookies!!

I also had complete reconstructive knee surgery when I was 15. I was in the hospital for 3 days, I think. And then 9 months on crutches recovering.

I've also had several outpatient procedures - my wisdom teeth, deviated septum surgery, and a D&C when I had my mis-carriage.

The most traumatic hospital stay wasn't even mine! A few months ago, my 4 year old daughter broke her arm while we were on vacation. The break was such that we had to take an ambulance to the children's hospital that was about 45 minutes away and they had to do surgery to insert two pins into her arm to put the bone back in place. She hurt herself around 4:30, so by the time we went to urgent care and they sent us to the hospital, it was almost 10pm. But, I will give so much credit to all these people. The urgent care talked to the pediatric orthopedic surgeon on the phone, as well as the hospital. They knew we were from out of town (with good insurance, thank God). When we got to the hospital at 10pm, they were ready for us and the surgeon came in and did the surgery at 11:15 at night. She was in and out in under an hour. They had us stay overnight, just to make sure she had no adverse reactions to the anesthesia and then let us go home the next morning. I actually felt a little bad - after the surgery, at like midnight, they have to wake her up and make sure she is out of the anesthesia. The poor kid is 4, and it was so far past her bedtime she was just miserable. Then, when we get up to the room, they wanted her to get up and go to the bathroom so they didn't have to catheterize her, which I knew would send her into the stratosphere. So here I am, at 1am, trying to get this poor 4 year old to wake up enough to walk to the bathroom so she can go potty! She actually slept pretty well that night. Me and my husband, not so much. And just because it wasn't bad enough, my 2 year old son was back at our condo 45 minutes away so I was completely stressed about how he was doing. Thank God for grandparents on vacation with us who could stay with him until we got back!!

When I was in high school, I thought it would be cool to be on crutches! Kids with crutches were very popular in my school. They got to have all their friends sign their cast and everyone wanted to try walking with their crutches. It's not so glamorous to me now so I'm glad I never had to be on crutches. It might be fun for the first 15 minutes but it probably starts to hurt your arm and back pretty quickly maneuvering around with them.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    When I was in high school, I thought it would be cool to be on crutches! Kids with crutches were very popular in my school. They got to have all their friends sign their cast and everyone wanted to try walking with their crutches. It's not so glamorous to me now so I'm glad I never had to be on crutches. It might be fun for the first 15 minutes but it probably starts to hurt your arm and back pretty quickly maneuvering around with them.
    Exactly! Not to mention I had my 16th birthday while I was on crutches, so I didn't even get to enjoy that rite of passage of being able to drive for another 7 months!!

The only times I ever had to stay over at a hospital were when I had my tonsils out at the age of 5 and for my cesarean birth. All of my cancer treatments were out-patient, including surgeries.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I had a weird overnight hospitalization 3 years ago. I was on the exercise bike in our community workout room. Hubby and I had signed up for 6 sessions each with a personal trainer in an attempt to get ourselves started on a healthier lifestyle. I would go over early and warm up on the exercise bike before the trainer came in.

The last thing I clearly remember is listening to one of my favorite Southern gospel music CDs while waiting for Derek. Then I vaguely remember leaving a voice mail for my husband in which I said, "I don't know what's going on. I feel disoriented. I was supposed to meet Derek this morning, but I don't know if I did. I'm going home. Call me back."

The next thing I clearly remember is being in a bed in the hospital emergency room, with my husband sitting by my side. A doctor was telling him, "As soon as we get someone here from Transport, we'll get your wife to her room."

I looked at my hubby and asked, "Am I being admitted to a hospital?"

"Yes."

"So what's wrong with me?"

"That's that they're trying find out."

"What time is it?"

"About 2:30." (approximately 5 hours after I was supposed to meet with Derek)

"Did I have a stroke?"

"That's that they're trying find out."

FORTUNATELY, it was not a stroke or any other permanent issue with my brain. I had an episode of something called Transient Global Amnesia. Fortunately, it's very rare, and the only thing rarer than having the first episode is for the same person to have any more episodes. I just completely lost 5 hours of my life. I have no memory of:
    • Derek coming in to start our workout session. He realized quickly that something was wrong and wanted to drive me home. I apparently insisted I was fine, but he snuck out the back door of the gym and followed me to make sure I got home alright.
    • 19 phone calls to my husband in the 51 minutes between the first phone message and his arrival home (don't ask me why he didn't just keep me on the phone; I've never figured that one out!).
    • Chatting online with my BFF in Michigan. I was able to communicate to her that something was wrong, but there was nothing she could do, other than to confirm that my husband was on his way home, and then she told me to go lay down in bed until he got there.
    • His arrival home.
    • The drive to the hospital.
    • Checking in, providing a urine specimen, having a CT scan and a chest x-ray.
    • The first several hours in a bed in an ER bay.

Unfortunately, I had recovered awareness of my surroundings BEFORE they did an MRI. I hate those machines. Why couldn't I have not known about that test?

When my "brain" started returning to normal, I checked my Blackberry and had to ask hubby to call to cancel a couple of things planned for the next few days.
    I saw a neurologist before checking out of the hospital, and made a follow-up appointment with him for 6 weeks later. I was still having some minor residual memory issues, but I think I'm better now. Now I just attribute my forgetfulness to old age, but I do believe my ability to remember names has been significantly impaired since the TGA.

I'm just grateful it wasn't anything worse. It did remind me to count my blessings EVERY DAY, because one minute you can be fine, and the next minute (for you) is 5 hours later.

Wow, AZ Christian, sounds like you're a very lucky woman.
    We're lucky to have you on this board, too!

Take care

AZChristian likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh my gosh, AZChristian, that sounds terrifying. I'm glad you're on the mend and haven't had any more episodes or permanent memory loss.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast