+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Injuries, illness and hospital stays

Re: Injuries, illness and hospital stays

I've never broken a limb but I split my head open once. That explains a lot.
    I also broke my middle toe once. Very painful, but I didn't even go to the doc, just put it back in place, taped it to the toes on either side, & wore loose slippers. It took a while to heal.

All in all I've been pretty lucky. Other than teeth I have all my original parts & have been in very good health.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian
    (2) If I'm away from home, have me take the phone to someone else so they can make me stay there until you get there, rather than allowing me to drive myself home.
    I meant to comment on that last night while writing my post. I don't know why that trainer ever thought it was a good idea to let you drive at all, even if he was following you. Unless you were overly belligerent and he couldn't stop you? But he's a trainer, it should have been easy to restrain you and call an ambulance, no?

If nothing else, let this serve as a message to others: Don't let someone who appears confused or disoriented drive.

I'm happy that you are on the mend, Tilden but your story was great. "Whattya mean nothing has ever happened to you?" "Whattya mean you've always been pretty healthy?" LOL I guess that's the mindset nurses and doctors have especially when they work in an ER. It must be rare to see a patient with basically no medical history.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo226
    The smart phone is a good idea ... but if you have a stupid phone ... always keep a list with you somewhere on your person ... and also at home.

Years ago when caring for my Dad, I kept a sheet of paper with his Name, DOB, Allergies, Meds and hospitalizations in reverse chronological order that I kept completely up-to-date. The several times that I had to call an ambulance for my Dad and they would start asking me those questions ... I just handed them the paper and could give reassurance to my Dad instead of having to answer all those questions. I always had several copies so I would take one to the hospital ER as well so the Dr. and staff would have info and history. Pretty much the only questions I had to answer as his advocate were what meds he had taken that day ... and "what happened" to necessitate calling 911.

Rule of thumb is to plan that if you need medical attention, plan as if you will be unconscious and have no advocate beside you.
    Wish I could "like" this post 1,000 times. Keeping these items handy saves time and in a chaotic moment, nothing crucial will be left out/overlooked. Supplements/herbals/OTC items should also be on the list of medications taken.

Excellent post Echo!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I meant to comment on that last night while writing my post. I don't know why that trainer ever thought it was a good idea to let you drive at all, even if he was following you. Unless you were overly belligerent and he couldn't stop you? But he's a trainer, it should have been easy to restrain you and call an ambulance, no?

If nothing else, let this serve as a message to others: Don't let someone who appears confused or disoriented drive.
    Apparently, I was quite insistent that I was fine, and pretty much refused to allow him to drive me home. Of course, I was a chubby 5' tall, and he was a very muscular 5-6, so he probably could have thrown me over his shoulder. I think he realized afterwards that he should have been more assertive in keeping me from driving.

The funny thing was, when I got home, I pulled into the center of our driveway, turned off the car and went into the house, rather than pulling into my space in the 2-car garage. As soon as hubby got home, he KNEW I was not following normal patterns. When we left for the hospital, I was asking him why my car was in the driveway instead of the garage. Weird, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I didn't mean for my comment to be political. My intent was to convey something like, "back in the 1700s, we didn't have the medical KNOWLEDGE we have today, so folks had few treatment options." I try to avoid political discussions!
    AZ,

I do appreciate your response.
    I didn't take your comment to be political. It's just sad that healthcare is in the state it is now.
    AZChristian likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123