+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Favorite Comedians (past and present)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Favorite Comedians (past and present)

Who have been your favorite comedians?

I used to watch Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, George Carlin, and Gallagher when I was younger. I liked Bill Cosby because he was one of the few comics whose routines were family-friendly, not relying on foul language to get a laugh. His routines were largely about family life, so I could relate to them. I didn't watch Richard Pryor's standup too much because I was too young for the content of his routines then so I mostly saw him in movies. It wasn't until later that I got to see his routines. Steve Martin was interesting because he was such a bizarre ADD-style comic but later in life, he got into more serious roles and never again seemed like the wild and crazy guy he used to be, playing the banjo with the arrow-through-his-head prop on. I liked Robin Williams the most when he was ad-libbing, going through a box of props on stage or interacting with audience members to make up jokes on the spot. I liked George Carlin and Gallagher because they came across as smart guys who really made you think, besides laugh. I appreciate wit way over slapstick humor or shock jocks.

Later on I became fans of Rodney Dangerfield, Bob Nelson, Louise DuArt, and Louie Anderson. Rodney is so great with the one-liners. Sometimes just the way he says something is funnier than what he actually said. I saw Bob Nelson on a Rodney Dangerfield special and have seen a few routines since then. It's a shame he didn't become a more well-known comic and have more standup routines. Louise DuArt was kind of like a female Rich Little who could also act. She not only could sound like celebrities, she could dress up and act like them. I liked Louie Anderson's routines about family misadventures. Once again, it was something I could relate to. I didn't like the later routines I saw of his, though. It got where instead of his routines about his father being funny, they were pretty dark.

The most recent comedian I became a fan of was Mitch Hedberg. He's another comic that just the way he delivers his lines sometimes has me in stitches. He has a very unique view of life and I enjoyed watching his routines. I had bought a CD of his comedy and my nephew and I used to watch it pretty regularly. Sadly, Mitch died too young so we won't get to see any future routines from him.

I'm not as familiar with current comedians. It would be nice to find out about some good ones from people at this forum so I can look them up.

FORT Fogey

Re: Favorite Comedians (past and present)

A lot of my favorite contemporary comedians are a little on the darker side. I'm almost afraid to list them because you may think I'm some kind of crazy lady. But because I like them so much and listing them may encourage other people to check them out, here goes. On the cleaner "nicer" side, I adore Seth Meyers and think his stand up is even better than what he does on SNL. On the less nice side, I adore Louis CK, and Jim Norton. In between the nice and less nice, I love Neal Brennan. I think he's even better with observational type of stuff, and putting issues into perspective than he is with joke telling. John Mullaney is also fantastic, and a GREAT story teller. Perhaps my all-time favorite is Patrice O'Neal. He died entirely too young at the end of last year after suffering a stroke. But his first comedy album was released earlier this year. He'd produced it prior to his stroke, and his family decided to go ahead and release it anyway. It is fantastic.

Eddie Izzard. Talk about a bright mind, quick wit and great story telling that icorporates everyday life, his life, history and free form monologues. He also speaks French. Because he has dyslexia he doesnt write down most of his material. He goes out there with general thoughts and develops it as he goes along. Which explains why sometimes there are intermitant pauses in his act.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I loved Mitch Hedberg too, pikachu! I found him on the XM comedy channel and had to google him. I was so sad to hear that he was dead.

I love Jeff Dunham. You wouldn't think a guy with puppets would be funny, but he is. I also love the Blue Collar Comedy guys - especially Bill Engvall and Ron White.

I absolutely loved George Carlin's humor. He had a way of looking at everyday things, & the humor in them, that I could relate to.
    I saw him in person & he was much more raunchy, but still hysterical. My all time favorite comedian.

I also saw Bill Engvall live & he's great too.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Derek Edwards, the only Canadian to have ever won the Vail National Comedy Invitational, is my long-time favourite.

Derek Edwards on Dog Ownership - YouTube
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Stephen Colbert, in the present day. Jonathan Winters in the past. I really can't decide between them for my absolute favorite.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Lewis Black, Christopher Titus, Mike McDonald, Russell Peters.

I have been fortunate enough to see Mike live several times. He is extremely ill now - due to hep C his liver & kidneys are failing and he is on a transplant list.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Robin Williams is by far my most favorite comedian of all time. Richard Pryor would get me in stitches too. All things Monty Python are so freaking funny as well. Bill Cosby, Tim Allen and Dane Cook are fantastic too. I love comedians!
    Hyper likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

There's so many.

Daniel Tosh, Jim Gaffigan, Mitch Hedberg, Lewis Black, Bill Maher, Jimmy Carr, Dave Chappelle, just to name some. I have a ton more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast