+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valediction: How do you say farewell?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Valediction: How do you say farewell?

Americans say "Goodbye", the British say "Hello", Hawaiians say "Aloha", Mr. Spock says "Live long and prosper". Do you have a particular way of saying goodbye or ending a conversation?

I got to thinking of this topic a few days ago because we recently got a new girl in our office. At the end of the day, I'll say "See you tomorrow" or "Have a good evening". This girl likes to say "Be careful" and that struck me as a rather pessimistic ending to a conversation, like she expects some catastrophe to strike me on my way home. The world must seem like a very dangerous place to her.

I wish I had a more unique valediction but I've never taken the time to come up with one.

Another funny note...I remember reading an article about office etiquette and it said you should never end a business call with "bye-bye" because it's kiddy and unprofessional. I had never thought about it before but noticed to my horror shortly after reading this article that I did sometimes end calls at the office with "bye-bye". I loosened up, though, when I noticed lots of people calling me ended the call with "bye-bye" so maybe it's ok in the South. That's the way we roll.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-19-2012 at 05:01 PM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Valediction: How do you say farewell?

When I am on the phone with my son, I usually end the call with "love you." Normally, I think I just say "bye." But I do sometimes say "get home safely" when I am out with female friends. We may be out late and we are all driving home alone in our cars, so it's just a normal reaction for me to want everyone to be careful and get home safely, especially when traveling in the evening.

I'm from the South and get the bye bye thing, but I was told a long time ago to not use bye bye for business too. I can't recall who told me. I've managed to use Good bye for business and use just bye for personal calls.

When in person, I will say "See ya later," most of the time and other times bye.

My mother ALWAYS says to me and any family member the following. "Bye honey. I love you. Please drive carefully. I worry about you on that road." And she says it with this worried tone that is heartbreaking. She is so concerned that we will be in an accident. She can't help it. She's 71 so I don't think she will ever change from saying it. I just try to block it out of my mind, as I know she means well. lol

With Mr. Rattus on the phone - bye sweetie, kiss kiss; with Mr. Rattus in person - bye sweetie, have a good day; in person as I leave the office or elsewhere - see ya or have a good evening/weekend/vacation/life; on the phone with people I'm not married to - talk to you later. I assume I sign off with something less casual when done talking to, say, a CFO, but I can't recall just what that would be because formality is not a natural part of my character, or indeed, something I enjoy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

This topic brings to mind job changes over the years. Sometimes I would answer the phone using the old store name instead of the new one. Oops.

Or ending a phone call with love.....oops this is not my SO. That is embarrassing.

I usually end my conversations with bye or talk to you later, our family doesn't do the I love you or love you sentiment every single time.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

With family, it's always "love you". Other than that, on phone calls it's "good to talk with you" or "talk with you later".

usually on business calls, the person tells me to have a nice day so I say, "thank you, you too" and hang up. If they don't, I say it.

on personal with SO, we always end with ok, bye, talk to (or see) you later, I love you, or love you too depending on who says it first.

with family, its talk to you later, and take care.

leaving friends after an evening, nice seeing you, take care, drive safely.

In the south most people greet with "Hey there" or just "Hey". I notice that "Hi" or "Hello" is not as common here, except by tranplants. (Of course, we do still use "Hello" when answering the phone, but other than that Hello is not that popular.)

First thing I gotta say: I love that word, "valediction" — thank you for using it!

Depending on the people/situation, I regularly use the following:
    'bye
    see you soon
    ciao
    auf Wiedersehen
    tschüß
    또봐요 (to boayo)
    adios
    do widzenia
    au revoir
    bisous / gros bises
    ma'a salama

... and sometimes the words are accompanied by
    a handshake (firm or light, depending on the culture)
    a kiss on the cheek (single, double, or triple)
    a bow
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I grew up in NO and my maternal grandmom lived in the Tennessee Iron Mountains. We'd visit her for a couple of weeks every summer. My relatives there used the word "Stay" instead "Good-bye" or "see you soon" or "take care," "safe home," etc.

They would kiss and hug, and wave saying, "Stay." I never knew anyone else who did this and I'm wondering if any Southerners among you recognize this custom?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast