+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valediction: How do you say farewell?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Valediction: How do you say farewell?

I've never heard of anyone saying "Stay". Maybe they were asking you to stay instead of leaving, or it was a short form of "Hope you enjoyed your stay".

I found this at Urban Dictionary:

1. stay up
    something you say in parting, a farewell, means "good luck" or "best of luck", "hope things go well"

Maybe your family uses it along those lines.

Poppy Fields, I've lived in TN all my life but never heard that saying. Guess that just goes to show how insular we can be in different pockets and regions. Your post made me want to find out more, especially since I didn't know where the Iron Mountains were. In looking at a blog about Appalachian heritage, there was mention of two goodbyes: the folks leaving would say, "come go home with me", and those they'd been visiting would say, "you ought to just spend the night"... sounds like neither intended to take the other up on their offer, but I suppose it would be considered rude not to extend the invitation.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I grew up in NO and my maternal grandmom lived in the Tennessee Iron Mountains. We'd visit her for a couple of weeks every summer. My relatives there used the word "Stay" instead "Good-bye" or "see you soon" or "take care," "safe home," etc.

They would kiss and hug, and wave saying, "Stay." I never knew anyone else who did this and I'm wondering if any Southerners among you recognize this custom?
    Poppy Fields If you look up "Stay" in the Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English, or the website, Dictionary: Southern Appalachian English, "stay all night" is common expression used when parting. I guess maybe they shortened it to "Stay". I love to hear all the expressions that are used.

Depending on the person, "Love you", "Talk to you soon", "Thanks for calling", "Take care", "Come to see us", "Call me when you get home". "Bye"
    My mom always says to me, "Remember, I love you very much" (I wish she would just say "Bye" )
    Last edited by inthegarden; 07-21-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added information

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    First thing I gotta say: I love that word, "valediction" — thank you for using it!

Depending on the people/situation, I regularly use the following:
    'bye
    see you soon
    ciao
    auf Wiedersehen
    tschüß
    또봐요 (to boayo)
    adios
    do widzenia
    au revoir
    bisous / gros bises
    ma'a salama

... and sometimes the words are accompanied by
    a handshake (firm or light, depending on the culture)
    a kiss on the cheek (single, double, or triple)
    a bow
    Wow, what an international set of friends and coworkers you must have, Ellen!

I say love you to my kids on the phone, and they say it back, and always drive safely when they are physically leaving... my mom used to say it to me. I know it bugs them a bit, but now it is like a superstition...have to say it as I"d feel to blame on some not so unconscious level if they had an accident.
    If my Sig. Other and I are separated physically by a significant distance/time I end with I love you, otherwise generally just bye. I used Good bye at work.

I was thinking Stay might be for Stay safe (see my reasoning above), but from the research you all have done, bet it is a shortening of stay the night.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Wow, what an international set of friends and coworkers you must have, Ellen!
    Some friends, some family, some co-workers — but mostly clients (EFL teaching/coaching/tutoring) from a variety of linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Poppy Fields If you look up "Stay" in the Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English, or the website, Dictionary: Southern Appalachian English, "stay all night" is common expression used when parting. I guess maybe they shortened it to "Stay". I love to hear all the expressions that are used.

Depending on the person, "Love you", "Talk to you soon", "Thanks for calling", "Take care", "Come to see us", "Call me when you get home". "Bye"
    My mom always says to me, "Remember, I love you very much" (I wish she would just say "Bye" )
    Thanks for looking this up for me, inthegarden! It's something I've wondered about my whole life. I will have to find the Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English - sounds like a great reference tool!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

In Georgia, we usually say "Hey!" or "Hey, there!" as a greeting (at least in MY neck of the woods, we do!). In more formal, business-type situations, I personally DO usually say "Hello!".

When I'm leaving, "Bye!", "Bye-bye!", "Holler!", "Later! (or "Lata!) takes care of it. In more formal, business-type situations, I DO go with "Good bye!"
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12