+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What do you think life is like in Heaven?

Re: What do you think life is like in Heaven?

I just finished Eben Alexander's "Proof of Heaven" (in fact, I'll post a comment in the books thread). This was absolutely fascinating. He's a neurosurgeon formerly from Harvard who used to think that his patients' near-death experiences were a function of the brain, and that the brain creates consciousness. Then he contracted bacterial meningitis, which ate away at his neocortex -- the part of the brain that "makes us human," he says. He lapsed into a seven-day coma and was in essence brain dead. But he writes that he never felt so alive. He explored other dimensions, and what he believed was "heaven," but says it's vaster and more complex than we could ever imagine, and that it includes many universes. His main point was that "all that is" is driven by love, which would kind of negate the idea that you have to be "good" to get in. But yet our human thoughts -- such as humor and irony -- are even more present in that realm. Needless to say, he now believes that conciousness creates the brain.

To me, this book flipped on a light switch in much the same way that "The Nature of Personality Reality," by Jane Roberts did when I was in my 30s. I have no doubt that our spirit survives our flesh, and part of me can't wait to explore other dimensions. I want to travel in time. I want answers to mysteries. I want to see my brother and maybe visit other planets. How cool would that be?
    Lizard, inthegarden and Fanny Mare like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

To me, this book flipped on a light switch in much the same way that "The Nature of Personality Reality," by Jane Roberts did when I was in my 30s. I have no doubt that our spirit survives our flesh, and part of me can't wait to explore other dimensions. I want to travel in time. I want answers to mysteries. I want to see my brother and maybe visit other planets. How cool would that be?
    Very very cool - I want to see my pets that are waiting for me, I am just not sure where they are waiting. I bet that's a really good read candor.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Okay, candor, your post had me running off to download that book on the kindle!
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I just finished Eben Alexander's "Proof of Heaven" (in fact, I'll post a comment in the books thread). This was absolutely fascinating. He's a neurosurgeon formerly from Harvard who used to think that his patients' near-death experiences were a function of the brain, and that the brain creates consciousness. Then he contracted bacterial meningitis, which ate away at his neocortex -- the part of the brain that "makes us human," he says. He lapsed into a seven-day coma and was in essence brain dead. But he writes that he never felt so alive. He explored other dimensions, and what he believed was "heaven," but says it's vaster and more complex than we could ever imagine, and that it includes many universes. His main point was that "all that is" is driven by love, which would kind of negate the idea that you have to be "good" to get in. But yet our human thoughts -- such as humor and irony -- are even more present in that realm. Needless to say, he now believes that conciousness creates the brain.

That is the book I wanted to read. It seems authentic. The one I bought recently and would not recommend is the one where the four year old has a near death experience during his appendectomy. I think the father put the thoughts and memories into his four year old's head. It just creeped me out. SO abusive to use the son in that way...to mess him up badly. Truth is not something you manufacture. I cringe to think I bought the book feeding into the fraud.

I just wanted my sister who past away to be ok. I hope for peace and happiness.
    Last edited by Lizard; 12-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    That is the book I wanted to read. It seems authentic. The one I bought recently and would not recommend is the one where the four year old has a near death experience during his appendectomy. I think the father put the thoughts and memories into his four year old's head. It just creeped me out. SO abusive to use the son in that way...to mess him up badly. Truth is not something you manufacture. I cringe to think I bought the book feeding into the fraud.

I just wanted my sister who past away to be ok. I hope for peace and happiness.
    I read that book about the four year old too, Lizard, 'Heaven Is For Real'. I didn't feel his father would do that, and I felt a four year old couldn't possibly know all he did and in such extreme detail.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123