+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is there a word or a phrase you use too much?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Is there a word or a phrase you use too much?

I've noticed that I use the word "so" way too much. I got that bad habit from my mom. I've listened to her talk to my grandma on the phone and she ends just about every sentence with "so".

Pamela and Tim are coming over in a little bit, so...We asked everyone out to dinner, so...We're going to a new seafood restaurant that opened a week ago. None of us have tried it yet, so...

It's embarrassing to me that I've inherited this bad habit. I edit a lot of my posts to remove some of the "so"s I put in there but I still use them way more than I should. I just sometimes can't think of any other way to say what I have to say without using "so"!

FORT Newbie

Re: Is there a word or a phrase you use too much?

I use "Oh really?" quite often.

"Yes." I need to replace that word, in many instances, with "no."
    Debb70 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm sure I do have words I over use. I'll have to think about what they are. I do try to avoid "like." It drives me crazy. I have noticed that many educated and older people say it as often as young people!

I do know that I type LOL way too much, because the letter "L" has rubbed off my keyboard! LOL .....oops! You got me!

In typing, I tend to add "smiley faces" too often to get that I am joking. Why do I do that? I think because I tend to come off sounding too sarcastic and then I am worried the other person is going to take it wrong so here and there just so they get that I'm not being serious.

In speaking, I say "like" way too often. Other than that, I'm sure there are other words or phrases but none that I"m aware of at the moment!

I use the word "actually" far too often. I will type out a paragraph or two, have a quick read through for typos and whatnot, and notice that I've used the word six or seven times in as many sentences. It actually irritates the hell out of me.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

When I am instructing patients on what I need for them to do during an exam, or what to expect during an exam, I tend to end my sentences with "ok?" I hate that I do that!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I know that when I talk to my clients I explain something and then ask, "Does that make sense?" I'm trying to give them a chance to give me feedback as I have given them much information that I'm sure is difficult to digest. I'm not sure which words would be more effective.

Oh, I like the smiling face when you intend to insert humor. It takes the edge off, just in case someone was taking it too seriously.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-19-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I know that when I talk to my clients I explain something and then ask, "Does that make sense?" I'm trying to give them a chance to give me feedback as I have given them much information that I'm sure is difficult to digest. I'm not sure which words would be more effective.
    Maybe you can say, "is that clear" or "do you understand", or "do you have any questions". I guess it depends on what you are saying and how close you are to your clients,
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    In typing, I tend to add "smiley faces" too often to get that I am joking. Why do I do that? I think because I tend to come off sounding too sarcastic and then I am worried the other person is going to take it wrong so here and there just so they get that I'm not being serious.
    I am addicted to those smiley faces. I love them. I always think( and I know it's very wrong) that people who don't use them are grumpy.

I use the word though too often. I dont know why . Its always at the end of my sentences .I cant go back and edit it. I don't even know when I am doing it though
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast