+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is there a word or a phrase you use too much?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Is there a word or a phrase you use too much?

I've found that less is better!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I say "thats funny" too much. But, hey, I can't help it that things are funny. I also say "whatever" too much. *shrugs*

You say "That's funny,", but do you laugh??? I remember an episode on Seinfeld about that exact thing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Talking (or listening) to one of my pals on the phone, I find I say "oh", "um", "really". We're on the phone at least 15 min and my hubby said he couldn't tell what we were "talking" about. I guess I'm a good listener!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You say "That's funny,", but do you laugh??? I remember an episode on Seinfeld about that exact thing.
    Now that I'm thinking about that.... no, I don't often laugh after saying "thats funny"... so, I guess I really don't find it that funny.... *falls to the floor laughing* now "THATS FUNNY"! (OK...just to be honest... I didn't really fall to the floor) *winks*

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    Talking (or listening) to one of my pals on the phone, I find I say "oh", "um", "really". We're on the phone at least 15 min and my hubby said he couldn't tell what we were "talking" about. I guess I'm a good listener!
    I am quite the talker... and I notice often... when I finally give the person on the phone an opportunity to speak.... they will say to me.. "are you still here".... AS IF saying... if I'm not talking... I'm not there at all. *makes a strange face* I can be quite... em... sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Now that I'm thinking about that.... no, I don't often laugh after saying "thats funny"... so, I guess I really don't find it that funny.... *falls to the floor laughing* now "THATS FUNNY"! (OK...just to be honest... I didn't really fall to the floor) *winks*
    The woman on the Seinfeld episode didn't laugh either! That could have been about YOU!!!
    You are cracking me up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The woman on the Seinfeld episode didn't laugh either! That could have been about YOU!!!
    You are cracking me up!!!
    *fluffs hair* A show all about me... OoOoOo *does her happy dance* Hmmm... *stops dancing* some people have compared me to Elaine....

FoRTer

^ Oooh, hopefully not compared to her while you're dancing.

I've realized I tend to follow "you need to" instructions to my kids with "okay?", which bugs me to no end because it sounds like I'm seeking their approval or trying to take the edge off and sound nicer... and really, they're not going to suddenly appreciate being told to do whatever chore just because I slapped an "okay?" on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    ^ Oooh, hopefully not compared to her while you're dancing.

I've realized I tend to follow "you need to" instructions to my kids with "okay?", which bugs me to no end because it sounds like I'm seeking their approval or trying to take the edge off and sound nicer... and really, they're not going to suddenly appreciate being told to do whatever chore just because I slapped an "okay?" on the end.

Years ago I was at a wedding where I didn't know anybody... and the song "Shout" came on. Its a fun song to dance to... didn't think anybody would mind if I joined one of the many circles already dancing. Boy was I wrong... before I knew it... I was out there on the dance floor all by myself. I didn't care... kept on dance'n

Uh oh... maybe I do dance like Elaine...

My dad used to always follow up his chores with... do you hear me? did you hear me?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast