+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    Misconceptions about New Yorkers or New York:

1) Not all New Yorkers have the distinct "Noo Yawk" accent.

2) As it is with Florida, living in NYC isn't all that exciting unless you actually live in Manhattan.

3) Living in NYC doesn't necessarily make one superior when it comes to knowing about the subway systems, their lines, the stops, and etc. Same goes for the bus.

You got that right!

1) Most people think that the only type of voices are alto and soprano. There are actually more: highest is soprano, a bit lower than that is mezzo-soprano (mid-soprano), lower than that is alto, and lower still is a contralto. (If there are more, let me know. )
    I was in love with a difficult man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    * Old wives say: Stress and spicy foods cause ulcers.
    Overconsumption of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as Advil and Aleve, and the bacteria H. pylori are the two major causes of ulcers, reports Dr. Yoshida. Stress and eating piquant foods can cause indigestion or even acid reflux, but they don't create ulcers -- they just irritate them.
    Final verdict: False
    I didn't know about this one. I take alot of Ibuprofen because I've had carpal tunnel and it helps with the swelling. Guess I'll have to talk to my Doc at my next physical about some kind of alternative med.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Misconception regarding blonde's having more fun.....

No wait...That ones true

It's a misconception that all Asians love sushi:

I never had it...never will...yuck

Misconception..... It always rains in Ireland

Truth ...... It was warm and sunny yesterday, so that's probably summer over !
    Last edited by Belfastgirl; 05-02-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ness
    That if you're from the South, you have a Southern accent and/or drawl. all Southerners do NOT have a Southern accent or drawl.
    Nor are those with Southern accents stupid and uneducated.

toothdoc

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    I love sachimi, especially with soy and wasabi.
    Me too Ili. I put a ton of wasabi on each piece I eat, with a teensy bit of soy. The hotter, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    Misconception about quiet people:
    They are unhappy.
    Not true in my opinion. I am a very quiet person, I am just very shy.
    And the opposite can also be true. People who are always upbeat are not necessarily happy. They (we) may just be good at hiding their (our) true feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by otter
    It is a misconception that you get sick from going outside with wet hair or from not wearing a coat when it is cold. I am talking flu or that type of sick.

The thing is germs are passed person to person so people seem to get sick more during colder months, but it is because they are inside more and confined in a closer area to one another where germs can be passed easier.

This is true. However, there is a reason people can get sick from having wet hair. In cold/windy weather, wet hair can lower the body temp. When the body temp is lowered that way, it can add stress to the body because the body tries to maintain its temp. Stress can negatively affect the immune system making someone more susceptible to colds.

You can also swim on a full stomach nothing will happen.
    You can get a cramp/upset stomach is you do a moderate/strenuous activity after eating because the circulation is trying to go to your stomach and not so much to your muscles.

I don't know if this is a misconception but...I've heard that Asians are good with electronics (i.e. setting the clock on vcr's, connecting things to tv's).

(I'm Asian)

My parents still don't know how to set the clock on their vcr.

+ Reply to Thread