+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Grilling and barbecuing are not the same thing.

Grilling is quick and hot while barbecuing is slow and low. Barbecuing usually involves large, tougher cuts of meat cooked in an enclosed space for hours in the hot smoke of a wood fire.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Hm, interesting (and previously unknown to me) distinction. I am the Grillmaster, though. I set it on high and turn, turn, turn.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by BravoFan
    Grilling and barbecuing are not the same thing.

Grilling is quick and hot while barbecuing is slow and low. Barbecuing usually involves large, tougher cuts of meat cooked in an enclosed space for hours in the hot smoke of a wood fire.
    While I agree with the distinction here, I've noticed it's somewhat geographically defined. In Florida (and probably other parts of the south) barbequeing was meat that was simmered for hours in barbeque sauce or cooked by another method (simmering, grilling) and then served with barbeque sauce, either on the side or smothered over the meat. I also noticed that people from different southern states had their own perception of which type of barbeque was "right"...to simmer IN the sauce or to cook prior to adding the sauce.

In Montana, where I'm originally from, barbequeing and grilling were the same thing...lol.

I'll also add a misconception of my own. When people hear I'm from Montana, they inevitably say, "Oh, that's the place with no speed limit!" Ahhhhh, but do I wish that were true.

In 1973, Congress threatened to withhold highway funding from any state who did not adopt a maximum speed limit of 55 MPH. Montana did this, of course, but the state's retribution was the $5 ticket...heh heh. Back in the day, if you were pulled over on the interstate for speeding and were going somewhere in the neighborhood of less that 20 mph over the speed limit, your fine was $5, payable to the officer pulling you over, with no points or penalties against your record.

In 1995, the maximum speed limit was repealing and Montana reverted to the use of Reasonable and Prudent speed limits, which is what we used prior to 1973. Basically, this means that during the daytime hours, there is no set NUMERICAL speed limit, but drivers are required to drive at speeds considered safe for prevailing road conditions, traffic flow and vehicle condition.

A major vehicle manufacturer decided to road test vehicles in Montana and the whole convoy of them was ticketed for going too fast--upwards of 90 MPH. Another Montana citizen successfully appealed more than one ticket for going over 90 by proving that lack of traffic, dry road conditions, no sun glare, seat belt usage, excellent vehicle condition and his years of driving experience put his rate of speed as reasonable and prudent for the time and place of his excursion. Of course, he also unsuccessfully appealled other tickets! I myself passed highway patrol cars going over 90 and was not pulled over, but have seen people pulled over when going 60 MPH while driving in traffic, on roads with limited visibility or lots of turns or during inclement weather.

The law was deemed unconstitutional (as being too vague) four years later and for 5 months, there was a period where technically there was no daytime speed limit. Law enforcement still used "reasonable and prudent" as a guideline, but any ticket issued during that time could have been successfully appealed due to the unconstitutional ruling. Four years after the reinstatement - accidents were at an all time high at the time - a numerical speed limit was enacted. The speed limit is now 75 MPH during the day with a lower speed limit for trucks.

I can safely say, however, that I generally keep my speedometer at 85-89 and have never once been pulled over.

One last thought on driving in Montana:

There is no state law against drinking and driving, as long as you are not above the legal limit for intoxication. Many municipalities have open container laws, but it's not illegal to be driving in the boondocks while drinking a cold beer, UNLESS you are over the legal limits.

FORT Fogey
    This is a lectern.

And this is a podium.

FORT Fogey

Schizophrenia vs. Split/Multiple Personality

One of the most common misconceptions held is the belief that Schizophrenia causes a person to have a "split" or "multiple personality." This is not so. Schizophrenia defines a condition that renders its victims "out of touch with reality" causing them to have delusions, hallucinations (both visual and auditory) and other debilitating symptoms. This condition is usually genetic, but not always.

Split personality or Multiple Personality Disorder describes the condition inherent in people whose personalities have fragmented into separate and compartmentalized units. Very often this is due to early childhood trauma and abuse where the horror of what happened has to be shut down and another window is opened with a new personality emerging.

Paulie, you shouldn't turn your meat on the grill more than once. It makes it tough. And no more than medium heat... You'll have much jucier meat, and more flavorful.

And Miss F, I'm actually geographically more North than you, I think, as is LG...And I'm not even wearing a coat!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Paulie, John is right about the medium heat.

And although primitive sounding, you can test that by holding your hand over the heat source about 4 inches. You should be able to hold it for 3 seconds and no longer.

(also, don't flatten hamburgers --at least very much -- as the important flavoring juices then get squeezed out)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by John
    Paulie, you shouldn't turn your meat on the grill more than once. It makes it tough. And no more than medium heat... You'll have much jucier meat, and more flavorful.
    Hmmm...I like to turn the sucker on high, preheat for 15 minutes, cook 3 minutes on a side and VOILA! Perfectly medium rare.

+ Reply to Thread