+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My Fitness Routine

Re: My Fitness Routine

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    At least 10,000 steps a day keeping up with kids in my library.
    Zumba twice a week. A woman has to dance a bit to stay happy.
    Walks with a bit of running mixed in for 5-8 miles twice a week. That is going to increase for the next month as I ramp it up getting ready for my 2nd half marathon in Eugene OR at the end of April.
    I would do more, but the dang rain and snow are getting in my way! Wow, some spring we are having around here!
    I love Zumba, now I am trying Zumba gold .It;s bit slow at times for me, but I love the music. Tonight I am going dancing, we are doing the cha cha . Love me some dancing!

Good luck with your half marathon !!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    At least 10,000 steps a day keeping up with kids in my library.
    Zumba twice a week. A woman has to dance a bit to stay happy.
    Walks with a bit of running mixed in for 5-8 miles twice a week. That is going to increase for the next month as I ramp it up getting ready for my 2nd half marathon in Eugene OR at the end of April.
    I would do more, but the dang rain and snow are getting in my way! Wow, some spring we are having around here!
    That's awesome Cootie! What day is your run? Mine's on April 20th. I'll be thinking of you running, while I run!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    That's awesome Cootie! What day is your run? Mine's on April 20th. I'll be thinking of you running, while I run!
    April 29 - the celebrated Eugene Marathon that brings about 10,000 runners and slowpokes like myself who mostly walk with some jogging mixed in. I am a pretty fast walker, but hope to build up my running stamina as I keep at it. I will be thinking of you on the 20th!

I lost 60 pounds last year and have another 40 to go. I couldn't even really start exercising till I broke the 200 mark because it was too painful. My exercise routine mostly consists of walking with a bit of running thrown in to shake the body up. I log around 20 to 30 miles a week and I am currently at a 15 minute mile pace. My goal is to shave that down to a 13 minute mile pace.

My husband runs marathons and various races and my 9 year runs track (he has an 8 minute mile). It really helps signing up for all the local races, it gives you a goal and you don't want some little granny zipping past you so it motivates you to get to their speed. My first race I was totally toasted by a 60 year old woman who was doing a 13 minute mile walk! I was shocked and wanted to beat her, that is my goal lol. I want to if not beat her then at least not have her waving at me happily as she zooms on past in her cute little pink sneakers.

I lost the weight because I couldn't go up the stairs anymore. My joints couldn't handle it. Losing the weight has breathed new life into my knees. I have become an advocate for fitness and healthy living. It gets me excited discussing my journey with others that was 9 years in the making (I gained 80 pounds when I became pregnant and I'm just now loosing it).

Good luck everybody who is trying to lose weight or get in shape. You can do it! I'm the worlds biggest lazy butt and I'm doing it, you can too. Just set the goals and sign up for those races (tons of walkers do them).
    Cootie likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Harmony2000 Great job!
    Good luck to everyone on their walk/runs.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 03-29-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Well done Harmony2000!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fanny mare View Post
    well done harmony2000!
    indeed!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks everybody, if you ever want somebody to help motivate you and give you pep talks. I'm your girl! I believe in moderation over denial when it comes to dieting. I also believe in creating healthy relationships with food. And I will stop there because it is a soap box for me, I'm passionate abut fitness and health now and get really carried away when talking about it.
    Cootie and inthegarden like this.

What an inspiration! I've never enjoyed running, but I want to add walking and dancing (with my Wii) to my weights and swim routine. I've been losing weight this past year and have hit another plateau (at least it's 15 lbs. lower than my last plateau) but want to get the the momentum back. Eating fresh and moving more is easier for me in warmer weather, so I have high hopes for the coming months. I'm already working in the garden and I know that's more exercise than I think it is.
    Count your blessings!

Hi Gutmutter,

I actually loath running, I think it is the cruelest exercise ever evented lol. But I do three times a week run 10 minute intervals for a total of 30 minutes because I think our bodies get "stuck" and we hit plateaus because our bodies get used to a certain routine. Be it dieting or exercising, I've read that sometimes it's actually good to take a break and then go back into it. That it kick starts the process again.

I'm not recommending that though because it's hard to get back on it after falling off but there are people who advocate for it.

If you keep pushing and don't get discouraged, you will get there. Are you keeping a food journal? I did at the start of my journey because I actually wasn't eating enough calories and what I was eating was all empty. So I was gaining weight. I still eat the things I love but in moderation and I'm careful to only take in 1200 calories when I don't exercise that day or anywhere between 1500 to 2000 calories depending upon how much I did.

Have you heard of "eating back your calories"? I do it and it seems to help. If you burn 500 calories, you are supposed to eat an additonal 500 calories but in "good" calories. I don't eat that much but I will kick it up about half of it.

I think it just comes down to figuring out what works best for your own body. Walking is a great exercise if done right. A brisk walk where you are breaking a sweat and finding it a bit hard to breath and can feel it in your legs is the right pace. A stroll with friends, on the phone, and drinking coffee is not (LOL one of my pet peeves, I see people do that all the time and I want to ask them why are they even bothering).

Good luck and gardening is great exercise. Do some squats and lunges while bending down and working with the plants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast