+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best day/worst day to have a birthday

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Best day/worst day to have a birthday

This morning I was thinking about what would be the best day or time of the year to have a birthday and what would be the worst? When is your birthday and do you think it falls at a good time or not (not that you can do anything about it!)?

I think probably the worst day to have your birthday fall on would be Christmas day, simply because most people would probably give you a combination Christmas/birthday instead of giving you separate gifts for each occasion, if you wanted to go out to eat on that day, a lot of places would be closed, although you would get the day off from work or if you're in school, your birthday would fall during the winter break so that would be cool.

One of the best days to have your birthday fall on, in my opinion, would be Independence Day. You'd get the day off from work and get to have a firework display for your birthday every year. My nephew's birthday is July 3rd and I've always thought he's pretty lucky to have his birthday then! He might not always get the day of his birthday off but he'll at least get the following day.

My birthday is January 10th and it has it's pros and cons. I like that it's sandwiched between two holidays (New Year's and Martin Luther King Day) so I get a day off about a week before my birthday and then another one about a week. I don't get fireworks on my birthday but I do get them pretty close to it.

I don't like that it's so close to Christmas that I get a lot of combination gifts and I particularly don't like that January is such a dreary month. We've had some December's here in Florida that are still mild and sunny but by January, right on time for my birthday, it usually turns bitterly cold and rainy. I would love it if my birthday fell during a warmer month so I could enjoy going outside, either to the beach or to have a BBQ, for my day.

October is my favorite month. Halloween, my favorite holiday, is then, that's usually about when we the fair comes to town, and I love the pretty colors of the autumn leaves. I wouldn't mind having my birthday in October, except that I don't think we get any days off from work then.

Re: Best day/worst day to have a birthday

You mean those fireworks aren't for me? I love having a birthday around the 4th. Warm weather, outdoor parties, and fireworks.

My boys were born around Halloween so we often had themed birthday parties - they loved it, and I did too.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Well, I have a New Year's Eve birthday and as an adult I think it's pretty cool. You feel like the whole world is celebrating your birthday with you. I always got a separate birthday gift even though it was so close to Christmas. Growing up we were extremely close to our aunts and uncles and would spend both the Eve and New Year's Day together. We lived about an hour away from one aunt and another uncle and my other aunt lived around the corner from us. So, we would cram 2 additional sets of families (an extra 8 people) into two tiny Brooklyn houses and spend the night. Kids would be sleeping on couches, the ladies got any spare bed and the uncles would sleep in recliners. It was SO much fun!!! For my birthday mom would always buy a whipped cream sheet cake that said "Happy New Year and Happy Birthday (insert name)."

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    My boys were born around Halloween so we often had themed birthday parties - they loved it, and I did too.
    A themed birthday party sounds like so much fun! I would totally go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Well, I have a New Year's Eve birthday and as an adult I think it's pretty cool. You feel like the whole world is celebrating your birthday with you. I always got a separate birthday gift even though it was so close to Christmas. Growing up we were extremely close to our aunts and uncles and would spend both the Eve and New Year's Day together. We lived about an hour away from one aunt and another uncle and my other aunt lived around the corner from us. So, we would cram 2 additional sets of families (an extra 8 people) into two tiny Brooklyn houses and spend the night. Kids would be sleeping on couches, the ladies got any spare bed and the uncles would sleep in recliners. It was SO much fun!!! For my birthday mom would always buy a whipped cream sheet cake that said "Happy New Year and Happy Birthday (insert name)."
    Your family sounds like fun people. One thing I miss since being an adult is having sleepovers. My friends stopped doing that toward the end of high school. I'm sure they were still having sleepovers but it would be with their boyfriends instead of their female friends.

It's really nice that your family included your birthday in the New Year's celebration by having your name on the cake. A shared celebration is much more fun than having a party for New Year's only and having it count for both.

I think 9/11 would be the worst day to have a birthday. Maybe in 50 years it won't be but for right now - not so great. My due date for my youngest daughter was 9/9 and all I could think was - please don't let her arrive on 9/11!!

Also - Feb 29 (unless you can say you age 4x slower than anyone else!! LOL)
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I think 9/11 would be the worst day to have a birthday.
    Ouch, that is probably the worst day for a birthday! Nothing like having your birthday forever associated with a notoriously black day in history.

It must be odd for people born during a leap year to only have the 29th of February come up every four years. I guess they get used to it, though, since that's the way its always been for them. Maybe it makes that day even more special when it does roll around.

My birthday is at the end of October (27th) and I had my fair share of Halloween themed birthday parties growing up which were really fun cause it's one of my favourite holidays too. Plus growing up there were a few girls birthdays that were the week before and another one after so I didn't really have much choice about the Halloween/birthday party. But now that I'm older I find that it kinda sucks because all my friends want to go out for Halloween and party (Halloween is always celebrated on Saturday at this point lol and we all work mon-fri so we only party on the weekends now) and no matter what I plan there is always people who complain about it. I even had one friend tell me this fall (when I was starting to plan my 30th) "I had a friend growing up who's birthday was on Halloween day and it really sucked cause I always had to hang out with her on Halloween" :\ Umm thanks! After that I decided that I wasn't going to have a party at all this year but since it was such a big one my boyfriend and some other friends talked me into it, but it'll be my last one for sure!! ...does that mean that I'll stop gettin older??

My sisters is July 13th and because so many of her friends would be away on summer vacation she had MANY birthdays that were just us 2 and 1 or 2 of her school friends. Lol if I could pick I'd want a spring birthday as a kid so I could have a pool party but still have friends in town, a fall birthday in high school with a sweet Halloween party and a summer birthday now that I could just get away for a nice camping trip with the people I want to spend it with and not worry about anyone else!

My mom's birthday was Halloween and she hated it because we would all take off to go trick or treating. And she would be at home handing out candy...but then on her 53rd birthday she got a fantastic gift - a grandson, my son, was born on her birthday. She then loved it because it was fun to share! My son has always loved his birthday. He is now 30. He has been in costume every year and has great memories of most of them. I sewed him some fun costumes back in the early days and we would always make it fun for him (my mom's early sad memories made me aware of the potential bummers).

My birthday is in June and would often land on one of the last days of school. I loved having a birthday that meant the beginning of going barefoot and hanging out at the beach!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

My daughters is New Year's Day. We always joke that the world is celebrating her birthday. That close to Christmas does suck. I have to tell myself not to split gifts. Not fair to her.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I love my birthday! It's between the US and French natonal holidays (fireworks, food, wine), right smack in the middle of baseball season (often request my b-day dinner to be dogs and beer at a game), and right around All-Star Game time, so that's on my list for whenever it comes to my city.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast