+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Peace techniques

Re: Peace techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I usually feel better after I bury the body
    Bears repeating....for the good laugh.

1. Talking with a drama-less friend to work it out what you are upset about...a perception/perspective (Think the dramatic ones can only bring more drama)
    2. Pretending you are other people (putting yourself in others' shoes)
    3. Music and singing
    4. The love of children and babies
    5. The love of parents
    6. Realizing things could be worse; that we are blessed and just do not see it.
    7. Exercise
    8. Watching T.V. (mini mind vacation)
    You can do it!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I say to myself, I don't have to think about this now. I have a choice here. I shift my focus to something that is more pleasant. If that doesn't work I distract myself with TV, the internet or a nap. If my distress is about another person, I love the quote, "no one can make me feel bad without my permission."
    If you look up the definition of general anxiety disorder, my picture should be next to it. I'm the poster child for GAD, exhibiting every symptom of it. I am always in worry mode. If I wake up unworried, I find myself casting about for something to get distressed over. I live with an impending sense of doom.

I'm learning finally to "compartmentalize" my worries. To prioritize them, if you will, and put the lids on the boxes that don't need my full attention. I try to take a little time every day to pray, but even in prayer I find myself distracted by random worries. I take a few deep cleansing breaths then, and let the thought pass through my mind without "engaging" with it. It takes practice, but I am finding it works.

I don't remember who said it - a sports figure - but the quote is basically "I don't worry about what I can't control because I can't control it, and I don't worry about what I can control, because I can!" Seems so simple and makes a ton of sense! I am also a big believer in the "if I don't have to make a decision today, then I'm not going to think about it."

When it relates to other people, something I learned a long time ago is to look at them like they are sick - spiritually, mentally or physically. Everyone is facing demons and I have no idea what others are - so I try to use compassion and kill them with kindness. As someone said above, they can't make me feel inferior/bad without my permission - so I just try to remember that and remember that they are facing demons. That tends to help.

For myself, nothing can beat a good 5 minutes of just sitting and breathing to re-center, re-focus and calm down!
    Lizard likes this.

I close my eyes and take a few moments of timeout and regroup.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Lie down, maybe. And talk. And relax. Might need it right now.

Mathew Ferry wrote a wonderful blog on happiness today at the Crazy Sexy Life site. It said five things: don't insist on being right, you are not a fortune teller (people live as if something bad has already happened), stop being defensive against people who are not attacking you, accept what is... And I cannot remember. It said something about a drunk monkey causing you problems. From my other readings I would have to say that is your ego. Take care of the drunk monkey then.
    You can do it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Maybe this thread should have been named "inner" peace techniques---every time I see the title I think we are solving the Middle East,etc.
    Some good suggestions here....wish my grandchild lived close enough to cuddle every time I get stressed!
    I have to say for me a huge stress reducer was retirement, even though I liked my job. It took me several months to "let go", but once I did people started telling me how "rested" I looked, so it must be working. Not an option for everyone obviously, but something to look forward to!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12