+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tivo, DVR, VCR?

Re: Tivo, DVR, VCR?

I used to use a VCR with DirecTV - until we upgraded to HD and got their DVR/receiver "combo" - that was optional, so I'm sure you can still run the signal through the regular DirecTV receiver if you don't use their DVR. I have to say that since getting DVR service, I've never looked back at VCRs. One nice thing about DVR service with DirecTV is that you can program your recordings remotely - using your computer or phone, which is handy if you're away. And they store a LOT of shows!

I use Hulu now and then (the free version). There's also a subscription version that provides more options. But I don't watch that much TV...most of what I watch I can get online these days, but my family uses the DVR all the time.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

We got our PVR last year and we LOVE it! We have cable through Shaw (Canada) and it was just a one-time $200 purchase and it doesn't affect our billing at all. We have a terabyte of storage on ours and it's supposed to hold over 80 hours of HD recording and a lot more when it's not HD. We use it a LOT and have never gone past 40% full (after a full weeks vacation with about 10-15 movies already stored before we left). Ours lets us record 2 shows but we have to be watching something that is pre-recorded, but since we get East and West coast channels everything plays at least 3 differnent times so oit hasn't been a problem for us. We also have shaw on demand and really like it too, its just a botton on the remote and we have access to a bunch of movies (new releases for 5.99 -7.99(HD) and older movies for free) it has a tv section for all the major networks listing all their recent shows (most are free or .99), we subscribe to HBO and the movie channels so SoD has free sections on them as well. I've gotten so used to no commercials I try to fast forward live shows all the time lol! Love my PVR!!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I used to use a VCR with DirecTV - until we upgraded to HD and got their DVR/receiver "combo" - that was optional, so I'm sure you can still run the signal through the regular DirecTV receiver if you don't use their DVR. I have to say that since getting DVR service, I've never looked back at VCRs. One nice thing about DVR service with DirecTV is that you can program your recordings remotely - using your computer or phone, which is handy if you're away. And they store a LOT of shows!

I use Hulu now and then (the free version). There's also a subscription version that provides more options. But I don't watch that much TV...most of what I watch I can get online these days, but my family uses the DVR all the time.
    How in the world did you use your VCR with DirecTV? I have been told that you cannot record a show with a VCR from DirecTV. Maybe there is a secret to it!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46 View Post
    How in the world did you use your VCR with DirecTV? I have been told that you cannot record a show with a VCR from DirecTV. Maybe there is a secret to it!
    We fed the cable from the DirectTV receiver into the vcr and then into the TV...never had a problem. ( again this was about 2 years ago before we got HD service, don't know if that matters)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    We fed the cable from the DirectTV receiver into the vcr and then into the TV...never had a problem. ( again this was about 2 years ago before we got HD service, don't know if that matters)
    Yep, that's how I hooked up my VCR with cable. They tell you you can't do it that way, but it always worked fine for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123