+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo, DVR, VCR?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Tivo, DVR, VCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You can - the cable companies just don't want you to know it. When I did it, I connected the cable from the wall directly to the VCR and then connected the VCR to the TV. They tell you not to do that, but it worked for me for years until my VCR finally went belly up. If you connect it the other way, you can only tape a show that you're watching, which is kind of not the point of owning a VCR in the first place.

Now I don't have anything to record shows. I just either watch them when they air or I catch them online or OnDemand. My cable bill is already way too high. I'm not adding DVR service onto that giant bill.
    Oh no! If that is true... Well, going on yesterday's responses I went to Best Buy and after a lot of discussion...they were very helpful with my fear of the DVR feature of taping over older shows once the limit is reached...I went with a box for Hulu. But interesting that you use both... I will have to try that.
    Thanks to everyone, including DVR fans! I'm sure this will be helpful for other old fogies.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Any thoughts on Hulu? That's what the Best Buy guys are suggesting to me. Thanks!

I don't have Hulu Plus, but I like the Hulu interface. I am annoyed that some shows that would have been free last season are now only on Hulu Plus for the first week or so after the episode airs, but I guess that was to be expected. Greed always seems to win out. The problem for Hulu is that, in several cases, the episode was available OnDemand, so I saw it when I wanted to see it anyway.

I'm just not going to pay for Hulu Plus. They charge about what Netflix does for their unlimited streaming plan and, at least for the moment, Netflix has a better selection of movies. There are quite a few shows available on regular Hulu though. It's the second place I go if I miss an episode, after OnDemand
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Blush... so what is OnDemand?
    According to the Best Buy people Netflix was better for movies but Hulu, or rather Hulu Plus, for TV. I got the impression that I could , say, watch a whole season of The Good Wife in one weekend if I fell behind. But if shows are only up for a week or so that's not too helpful. Like, I'm going to away for a month, and I'll want to catch up when I return...what's good for that? Thanks!
    Many shows are posted on the original channel for many weeks, but then I have to watch them on the computer, not as pleasant.....
    Oh how I miss my VCR already....

When people talk about the "good old days" in the past, I think about what life was like without Google and DVRs and know that I prefer "now" rather than the good old days.
    years ago, we had Tivo which is just a brand of dvr but one of the very first ones. At the time we had cable tv. When we switched to DirecTv, it came with it's own DVR and we adjusted. It's every bit as good as Tivo and I love, love, love it. I hate commercials, so I no longer have to watch them because I rarely watch tv in real time. I love that I can program shows for the whole season (or more) even if it's at a different time for some reason. I can record two shows at the same time and watch something I have recorded. The new DVRs have lots and lots of space to record a huge amount of shows. They didn't use to. I also have a VCR attached but I find I no longer every use it. I think once you get used to DVRs, it's very hard to go back to tapes. There are so many fantastic options that DVRs have over VCRs.
    It works like a personal computer so it's easy to figure out.
    Get the DVR and you won't regret it at all. I like using the one that DirecTv provides because if I have any problems, they're willing to help a lot.

Dragonlady, thanks for the good information on DirecTv. I believe that I will switch from cable to this. May still keep my trusted vcr until I get comfortable with the other options. Eventually, we won't be able to find vcr tapes anyway!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I still have a VCR. I hated having to get a cable box since that meant I could no longer watch one show while recording another or go on vacation and record shows on different channels while I was away. Now I can only record from one channel so I'll program the VCR to record channel 3 and set the cable box to whichever channel the show I want to record is on. Many times I've missed my program because I accidentally had the tv set to the wrong channel when I left the house. I wish I could afford a DVR but it's not in the cards in the foreseeable future so I have to limp along like this and look up tv episodes online or on demand when I miss them.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

With my box I can't even set the time on my VCR anymore.....

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Blush... so what is OnDemand?
    OnDemand is kind of like a separate channel that is a menu where you can navigate to different networks and watch previously aired shows. Most every network has OnDemand programming, and the selection of networks varies depending on your cable provider. Once you select a channel (say NBC), there are the last several episodes of the shows the shows currently airing. Right now, since the NBC season just started, there's about one episode per show. If you have premium channels, like HBO, there are the last several episodes of their original programming, a selection of movies, documentaries, and the like.

I succumbed to the DVR a bit less than two years ago and haven't regretted it. What I love is that if I forget to record a show, I can log into my Cox account and set my DVR from any computer.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

But isn't it true that DVRs only hold 60 or 100 or so hours of programming? I hate to say it but I could easily run through that with backed up unviewed stuff fairly quickly, especially as I often travel and have to tape a lot of stuff as can't watch TV often while traveling. It could be summer before I catch up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast